Home Patrol / The cost thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

b52hbuff

Due to the various scattered posts in the newly created Home Patrol threads, I thought I'd add one place where folks could predict, complain about or otherwise discuss the cost of the new radio. Mods feel free to close it, but I thought it might take some of the load off of the other threads.

My only other contribution is to speculate whether the database updates will be free of charge or if a subscription fee would be required?

I own a radar detector that includes a GPS to warn of red light cameras and other geographic warnings. The manufacturer charges $30 for three years of updates. Updates are also provided weekly.

I am also curious if database updates can be copied between radios or if they are somehow keyed/tied to a particular radio? If the database is contained within removable media, I wonder if it could be duplicated across several radios?

RadioDaze

I posted in the other main thread that the cost to produce the Home Patrol would be cheaper than the other Uniden scanners, since there are fewer moving parts due to a touch screen replacing buttons, volume and selector controls. Further, the hardware has already been in use and mass produced for GPS units, and Uniden simply needs to pay licensing to use the technology.

It was pointed out that there would be a lot of R&D costs to recoup, so the price would probably still be comparable to existing digital scanners. That's probably correct.

But once the capital costs of new tooling, etc. have been recovered, I maintain that the manufacturing cost per unit will be lower for units that employ this touch-screen form factor. But I guess that doesn't mean that they will actually be sold cheaper.

In the long run, electronics seem to always get cheaper for the consumer. Eventually, a digital scanner will probably average in the $300 range rather than the $500 range. Then some new technology will come along to raise the bar again, and costs for those new units will be higher.

Keep in mind that a top-of-the-line programmable 60 channel conventional scanner was $349 at Radio Shack in 1985. That's about $685 in 2009 dollars. By 1990, an equivalent 60 channel conventional programmable at RS was $199... or $322 in 2009 dollars. Meanwhile, their current top-of-the-line scanner, still conventional, at that time jumped to $419, and that was still $680 in 2009 dollars.

Drowsiness

The digital scanning technology has been around quite awhile now and hasn't really come down all that much. The R&D for developing the scanner models to use that digital tech and presenting it in an attractive package MUST have come down by a large portion by now. However... the cheapest, decent digital scanners I can find all hover around $415 or more.

I agree with you that Uniden will have to recover the R&D costs for this new unit but, really now, they can't be that high. Touch screens have been around for what is an eternity in technology terms and the interfaces are not that hard to develop. Then you have the digital tech inside the new HomePatrol unit which really can't be that much more expensive than what is currently available in models such as the BCD396XT and the like.

Honestly, if this unit is released with a half grand price tag.. I honestly think it will hurt their obvious target market. As other people have stated, enthusiasts like to have complicated toys for the most part. There are the other enthusiasts who simply like that the interface for scanners is now changing to be easier as well. But... old tech mixed with older tech should NEVER equal a ridiculous price tag.

pj61

Taking into account that the desired market for this scanner I think the price will be $ 379.

Drowsiness

Taking into account that the desired market for this scanner I think the price will be $ 379.

If you are right, then they have reached a decent enough price bracket for it. But I don't know... I think they will be pretty expensive. Unless you are using a crystal ball or know something we don't, that is. ;)

Drowsiness

Not sure how accurate this is, but I came across this while looking for a decent price for the BCD396XT.

That is just absurd, sorry. Uniden... I understand you need to cover the development costs and whatnot, but most of the tech inside HomePatrol is kind of aged at this point in time and should not be that ridiculously over priced.

Again, no idea if it is accurate... but then why would they place that price on the page if it were not at least hinted to them somehow?

kcoleman

My only other contribution is to speculate whether the database updates will be free of charge or if a subscription fee would be required?

Soley based on what GRE/RS worked out with RR for the PRO-107 scanner, the database is free to the end user. Updates are posted every Saturday and easily downoaded through the supplied software, then transfered onto the SD card.

I would think a similar approach might be made by Uniden... except I think recall UPman mentioning pushing out the updates.

Just my .02 cents worth....
Keith

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm!!!

I thought a product could not even be offered for sale until it received FCC approval? Has this device been accepted or approved yet? If that is even close to what Uniden is looking to get for these, it's going to turn away a lot of folks!

Manny

mrkelso

There will be people that will run out to buy this unit even if it was $1000. As for me $550 is way to much to spend just to have the latest. After watching the vid i had this pegged at maybe $199.95

Earwave

I have to agree with Drowsiness,touchscreens have been around for years,and computer chips...much longer.The fact that they have incorparated a touchscreen into a reciever does not warrant such a high price tag.I paid about $485 for my 996xt,and comparing these two scanners side by side,their capabilities and configurability,I could not justify to myself paying MORE for the homepatrol than I did for my 996.
I think a price tag of about $200-$250 would be more in line for this scanner.

K

kb0nly

Not sure how accurate this is, but I came across this while looking for a decent price for the BCD396XT.

That is just absurd, sorry. Uniden... I understand you need to cover the development costs and whatnot, but most of the tech inside HomePatrol is kind of aged at this point in time and should not be that ridiculously over priced.

Again, no idea if it is accurate... but then why would they place that price on the page if it were not at least hinted to them somehow?

What was that link supposed to go to?? I don't see anything about the Home Patrol there...

Earwave

The first time I tried the above link,it showed me the new homepatrol unit,now it only shows bearcatwearhouse homepage...strange.
I have looked around their site,and I cannot find homepatrol on there anywhere.Is there a model# for this unit,or is it just referred to as "homepatrol"?

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
You won't find it because it hasn't been FCC approved. And since it hasn't been FCC approved, it cannot be listed for sale.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Corner the market

I have to agree with Drowsiness,touchscreens have been around for years,and computer chips...much longer.The fact that they have incorparated a touchscreen into a reciever does not warrant such a high price tag.I paid about $485 for my 996xt,and comparing these two scanners side by side,their capabilities and configurability,I could not justify to myself paying MORE for the homepatrol than I did for my 996.
I think a price tag of about $200-$250 would be more in line for this scanner.

Uniden could corner the market and sell HP for like $50. They would fly off the shelves.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
You won't find it because it hasn't been FCC approved. And since it hasn't been FCC approved, it cannot be listed for sale.

It was there for pre-order for $550.00 when I clicked it earlier. Looks like it's since been removed.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Given the above info, I'd shy away from thinking that $550.00 is the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.