RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdale View Post
Given the above info, I'd shy away from thinking that $550.00 is the price.
Considering that the 396XT and 996XT are anywhere from $486 - $515, I am not so sure I would shy away from the price of HomePatrol being in that same neighborhood.
Sponsored links
Old 07-02-2010, 10:53 AM

What I say is scrap the HP and build a real base scanner with the same touch screen of the HP and add the 996xt features into said scanner.

The hell with Bob, Billy, Mary, or Joe Ann....they are not going to purchase a $500+ unit. We are the future of Uniden's scanner line. Build the Joe's of the world a real base scanner with said features and the same size as a TS-2000.

Last edited by qbertopp; 07-02-2010 at 10:56 AM..
Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbertopp View Post
What I say is scrap the HP and build a real base scanner with the same touch screen of the HP and add the 996xt features into said scanner.

The hell with Bob, Billy, Mary, or Joe Ann....they are not going to purchase a $500+ unit. We are the future of Uniden's scanner line. Build the Joe's of the world a real base scanner with said features and the same size as a TS-2000.
Some nice thoughts there, qbertopp.

However, I have to disagree with discounting Bob, Billy, Mary and company. If Uniden can draw them in, it is only a good business decision and will keep the company viable in the market for a longer period, but they will -never- accomplish that with a $500+ price tag. Let's face it... us radio dinosaurs are not getting any younger and most kids these days either don't care to listen in on public safety and the like, or they just find programming current models extremely difficult (evidenced by many posts on this very forum).

I like the concept and idea of the HomePatrol. But man... the price. The prices *need* to come down. If you don't lower them, eventually your competition will and that will.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

3.5" touchscreens have been OEM'd by the millions for GPS units such as Garmin, etc. That module has to be dirt cheap by now. Probably very little variation as used in the HP. The lion's share of costs that need to be recouped will come from the R&D, and the initial tooling for the new form factor - the case, circuit board(s), connectors, etc. Don't forget packaging, manuals, marketing, etc.

It WILL cost less to BUILD these units, in the long run. It has fewer moving parts. What they need to sell it for to be profitable is another story, of course.

The price point ABSOLUTELY needs to be lower than the current digital product line. The perceived complexity, and therefore value, of the unit is lower. Joe Scanner wants a lot for his $500, and expects a complex, versatile, capable unit. Joe accepts more complicated operation along with that - it's been the culture of high-end electronics for generations. But a casual user has been barred from scanning due to the complexities of trunked systems, talkgroups, etc.

Casual User = Someone who can't justify the same investment that an enthusiast is willing to make.

I think that Uniden's long-term plan is to reduce the cost of manufacturing for a product line that they can sell for less to more folks, and parlay some profits into the really advanced features and build quality that Joe Scanner is continuing to demand and is willing to pay for.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioDaze View Post
3.5" touchscreens have been OEM'd by the millions for GPS units such as Garmin, etc. That module has to be dirt cheap by now. Probably very little variation as used in the HP. The lion's share of costs that need to be recouped will come from the R&D, and the initial tooling for the new form factor - the case, circuit board(s), connectors, etc. Don't forget packaging, manuals, marketing, etc.

It WILL cost less to BUILD these units, in the long run. It has fewer moving parts. What they need to sell it for to be profitable is another story, of course.

The price point ABSOLUTELY needs to be lower than the current digital product line. The perceived complexity, and therefore value, of the unit is lower. Joe Scanner wants a lot for his $500, and expects a complex, versatile, capable unit. Joe accepts more complicated operation along with that - it's been the culture of high-end electronics for generations. But a casual user has been barred from scanning due to the complexities of trunked systems, talkgroups, etc.

Casual User = Someone who can't justify the same investment that an enthusiast is willing to make.

I think that Uniden's long-term plan is to reduce the cost of manufacturing for a product line that they can sell for less to more folks, and parlay some profits into the really advanced features and build quality that Joe Scanner is continuing to demand and is willing to pay for.
This is a great post. Just absolutely incredible.

If the above is not a convincing argument for the prices of these units needing to come down, then someone who helps to set the MSRP is just not listening or just does not want to listen.
Sponsored links
Old 07-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Totally agree. Your average person browsing Wal-Mart, Target, or Amazon.com are not going to shell out $500 for a scanner. I don't care if it makes toast and even cleans the house, too. Most people also aren't willing to spend the time to pore over the manual, scour the Internet for information, and drop additional money on programming software and cables.

My pessimistic prediction: Uniden might be offering these in analog-only and analog + digital flavors. Guessing $200 for analog, and $350 for analog + digital.

My optimistic prediction: Uniden offers only one version (analog + digital) and it comes in around $250. With everything you need in the box.

Here's hoping for optimism...
Old 07-02-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregontreehugger View Post
Totally agree. Your average person browsing Wal-Mart, Target, or Amazon.com are not going to shell out $500 for a scanner. I don't care if it makes toast and even cleans the house, too. Most people also aren't willing to spend the time to pore over the manual, scour the Internet for information, and drop additional money on programming software and cables.

My pessimistic prediction: Uniden might be offering these in analog-only and analog + digital flavors. Guessing $200 for analog, and $350 for analog + digital.

My optimistic prediction: Uniden offers only one version (analog + digital) and it comes in around $250. With everything you need in the box.

Here's hoping for optimism...
hehe, there is nothing wrong with wishful thinking and dreaming.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

One other comment about "price points".

They are carefully calculated figures that have important psychological implications. Uniden would probably love to be able to reach the $399.99 price point, which is essentially $400 but is perceived by many consumers as ~$300-ish. They would likely make more money selling at $399.99 than they would at, say, $429. In any case, I can't see this unit having a retail price above $499. (Not to be confused with MSRP - retailers like to see that figure grossly inflated.)
Old 07-02-2010, 2:37 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

BearcatWarehouse now has the HomePatrol back on it's web site, but the price is $0.00
"This unit is not yet FCC type accepted, the selling price will be announced after approval."
I do have a screen capture showing the price at $550.00
Sponsored links

Old 07-02-2010, 3:28 PM

Been in scanning over 40 years, i find the most recent scanners easy to operate even by hand...Some friends of mine would like to join the hobby to hear the new ILL Starcom digital system but $500,00 is out of the question and some took advantage of the RS deals...Some do not have great knowledge of computers and say the "bank" type scanner is more easy to operate than the info i sent them about the "Home Patrol"...I think its gonna be a "toss-up", i really like the new technology i see from a great company like Uniden but i personally would rather buy a second 396XT for now until i could program in a freqy by hand and not have to L/O many freqys i do not use that load in the scanner when installing a "zip-code"....It is a new beginning of a new age and i applaud Uniden.....My Opinion....
Old 07-02-2010, 3:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID2003 View Post
BearcatWarehouse now has the HomePatrol back on it's web site, but the price is $0.00
"This unit is not yet FCC type accepted, the selling price will be announced after approval."
I do have a screen capture showing the price at $550.00
Customer relations-wise, they are probably more comfortable shooting high on the price and lowering it later, rather than have people reserve it at a price that ends up being raised. Then people will be insisting that they honor the lower price.

P.S. This is my 500th post. Do I get a free sandwich or something?
Old 07-02-2010, 3:45 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

They aren't taking any reservations at all, so whatever price they had before is really meaningless.
Old 07-02-2010, 3:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I guess it's just a "wait list"
Old 07-02-2010, 4:47 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

RR should hold a contest. Whoever guesses closest to the price of the HomePatrol on Scannermaster.com gets a free one.

My guess would be $499.95

-AZ
Old 07-02-2010, 5:59 PM

The link to bearcatwarehouse now shows HomePatrol1 and specs.
Sponsored links
Old 07-02-2010, 6:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Universal Radio is showing it now as well, without a price, of course.
Uniden Home Patrol Scanner Homepatrol
Old 07-03-2010, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbart View Post
The link to bearcatwarehouse now shows HomePatrol1 and specs.
Now you see it, now you don't. The website is quicker than the eye. Here's what it says now:

New Uniden Home Patrol-1 Scanner Coming soon!
Call for Details 904-222-8303 or email admin@bearcatwarehouse.com

We could have an entire thread just to follow that website.
Old 07-03-2010, 7:52 PM

I screen captured the specs. for myself just to see and drool.

Mark
Old 07-03-2010, 11:26 PM

At $199 it'd be the first scanner I'd ever give as a gift. To several people.
Old 07-04-2010, 1:52 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Price

This is Hilarius....If you think for a minute that this new radio will be cheaper than a 396xt your all nuts. I don't care who it's designed for . Joe, Jim Bob, Sue or her mother.