Freescan software for Home Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

msradell

I was just over of the web site for Freescan software and they have a section setup for a "coming soon" software for programming the Home Patrol. It'll be interesting to see what it offers in regards to programming vs. the Factory Software.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Considering Assaf is wicked smart I am sure his "Power Patrol" software will compliment Uniden's Sentinel software very nicely.
Marshall KE4ZNR

cpuerror

Considering Assaf is wicked smart I am sure his "Power Patrol" software will compliment Uniden's Sentinel software very nicely.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Thanks Marshall. :) PowerPatrol will add the ability to edit channels and systems, as well as import them. I still have to add editing and file saving functionality and then I can get some kind of a beta out.

markbart

Thanks Marshall. :) PowerPatrol will add the ability to edit channels and systems, as well as import them. I still have to add editing and file saving functionality and then I can get some kind of a beta out.
Can't wait to see It.

Highpockets

I may take some heat for this, but if your software is anything like FreeScan you may save the HP-1 and open the door giving advanced users a reason to buy it.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
you may save the HP-1 and open the door giving advanced users a reason to buy it.

No, because operationally it's still the same. If you're an "advanced" user, you probably won't be replacing any of your "advanced" scanners with it.

msradell

I may take some heat for this, but if your software is anything like FreeScan you may save the HP-1 and open the door giving advanced users a reason to buy it.
It certainly is going to open up possibilities for users that otherwise wouldn't have considered it.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast

It think it will certainly sway me towards an HP-1. I currently have a BC785D monitoring digital trunk in S.E. Michigan, and it's working great, but if rebanding or 9600 baud ever come to town it's a brick. I have an itch to buy a new scanner but can't make up my mind on this new HP-1 or BCD996XT/BCD396XT?

Viper43

Yup, can't wait to see what Assaf comes up with. And I am sure a few others will also come up with something for the HP-1 as well.

V

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
No, because operationally it's still the same. If you're an "advanced" user, you probably won't be replacing any of your "advanced" scanners with it.

How many people 'replace' scanners? And how many people wear out their radio?

It is a fine radio to add to your collection.

It is interesting that as part of the talk, folks haven't talked about some pretty 'advanced' features that advanced users have been asking for. It supports a USB port for faster configuration upload. It has a voice recorder.

It supports multi-site trunking with what appears to be an unlimited number of TGIDs.

Granted, there are some missing features too. No nearfield rx'er. No tone/NAC decode display, filtering is supported. No priority.

rwier

How many people 'replace' scanners? And how many people wear out their radio?

It is a fine radio to add to your collection.

It is interesting that as part of the talk, folks haven't talked about some pretty 'advanced' features that advanced users have been asking for. It supports a USB port for faster configuration upload. It has a voice recorder.

It supports multi-site trunking with what appears to be an unlimited number of TGIDs.

Granted, there are some missing features too. No nearfield rx'er. No tone/NAC decode display, filtering is supported. No priority.

In use virtually every day: HP-1, BCD396T, BCD996T, PSR500, PSR600, and PRO-2042. Six or eight older models given away to friends or family over a 20 year period, and more than I can begin to recall have went to the scanner bone pile, going back in time to....hell, let's just say forever.

Now I realize that if given some sort of an examination (test) by, for instance, rdale, I could not possibly achieve the score commensurate with an "advanced" user. And, I agree that this is rightly so. However, I do believe I have earned the right to think of myself as an "advanced" purchaser.

Due to the very unfortunate characterization of the radio in advertising and other promotional activities, anyone who would like to hold themselves out as an "advanced" user can not possibly deem this radio as acceptable. I mean, if (paraphrasing) "Now your grandmother can join the scanning community! All she needs to know is her zip code" is on the box, surely only a dummy would purchase or recommend such a radio.

Personally, I monitor deep within the radio cesspool that is Maricopa County, Arizona. I use the 996 and the 600 in my vehicle. The are both programmed exactly the same. The overlap on the partial coverage of the P25 system gives me about 75% good coverage, 25% broken up, of the Phx PD transmissions. Indoors I use a similar setup with the 396 and the 500.

With the HP-1, for the first time I am hearing entire 20-30 second long dispatches from the Phoenix Police Department, indoors, without an outside antenna (Oops, I forgot about all the years before digital, lol). And I was doing that within 30 minutes of opening the box!

When ever I make a positive statement about this radio on a forum (example: “Try it with Arc Patrol, you might like the results") I get a response like "Well, I guess you could get software, and make favorite lists, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of the radio?”

I wonder, what percentage of purchasers of the 396, 996, 500, and 600 would consider not using third party software? But no, not with the HP-1.

The HP-1 is the first scanner that I can recall that appears to be developing a societal schism. The HP-1 is rapidly becoming the psychological "Sarah Palin" of the scanning community. For one group, the radio is "the greatest thing since sliced bread", an opinion that the other group considers absolute proof of scanner incompetency.

Hope my rant doesn't get me banned from these fine forums, lol.

Thanks for listening,
Rob

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
You revived a 4 month old thread just to rant about people who have no interest in purchasing an HP-1?

Xray

Anyone is entitled to revive any thread they wish, its not like they expire.
HP1 is a hot & controversial little radio, and will generate more and more chatter as time goes on.
No one is going to be talked into getting one, or not, by what they read in a single post. "Advanced users" will indeed be served better with other units ,, But if they continue to reply in HP1 threads, that shows a certain amount of interest.

I just got one, have had little time to tinker with it so far.
Location/range function seems a bit ludicrous, I entered my zip code, set range to only 5 miles, and it is loading systems in Cleveland Ohio and Ontario Canada, which are 200 miles and 25 miles away from me, respectively.
People have griped that there is no easy way to enter your own freqs, in advanced options you can do just that, enter any single freq in its range, and it will monitor it. Unfortunately, there is no way to do anything else with it, such as export to the FAV list. Hopefully future software revisions will add this simple functionality, along with the ability to make, link & scan multiple FAV lists.
That would be greatly pleasing to those mid road scannists like me, who would like a bit more functionality than the HP1 currently offers, but are turned off by the stunning complexity of their other digital scanners.

rwier

Update of old post

In use virtually every day: HP-1, BCD396T, BCD996T, PSR500, PSR600, and PRO-2042. Six or eight older models given away to friends or family over a 20 year period, and more than I can begin to recall have went to the scanner bone pile, going back in time to....hell, let's just say forever.

Now I realize that if given some sort of an examination (test) by, for instance, rdale, I could not possibly achieve the score commensurate with an "advanced" user. And, I agree that this is rightly so. However, I do believe I have earned the right to think of myself as an "advanced" purchaser.

Due to the very unfortunate characterization of the radio in advertising and other promotional activities, anyone who would like to hold themselves out as an "advanced" user can not possibly deem this radio as acceptable. I mean, if (paraphrasing) "Now your grandmother can join the scanning community! All she needs to know is her zip code" is on the box, surely only a dummy would purchase or recommend such a radio.

Personally, I monitor deep within the radio cesspool that is Maricopa County, Arizona. I use the 996 and the 600 in my vehicle. The are both programmed exactly the same. The overlap on the partial coverage of the P25 system gives me about 75% good coverage, 25% broken up, of the Phx PD transmissions. Indoors I use a similar setup with the 396 and the 500.

With the HP-1, for the first time I am hearing entire 20-30 second long dispatches from the Phoenix Police Department, indoors, without an outside antenna (Oops, I forgot about all the years before digital, lol). And I was doing that within 30 minutes of opening the box!

When ever I make a positive statement about this radio on a forum (example: “Try it with Arc Patrol, you might like the results") I get a response like "Well, I guess you could get software, and make favorite lists, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of the radio?”

I wonder, what percentage of purchasers of the 396, 996, 500, and 600 would consider not using third party software? But no, not with the HP-1.

The HP-1 is the first scanner that I can recall that appears to be developing a societal schism. The HP-1 is rapidly becoming the psychological "Sarah Palin" of the scanning community. For one group, the radio is "the greatest thing since sliced bread", an opinion that the other group considers absolute proof of scanner incompetency.

Hope my rant doesn't get me banned from these fine forums, lol.

Thanks for listening,
Rob

My, My, My! How things were then. They stayed about the same for me (new radios but no better coverage by the HP-1's stablemates, old or new. Then came the BIG "E". A whole new world!

Using the HP-1(E)'s analitical abilities, I was able to up the HP-1 (E)'s coverage of my local System from about 92%-95% coverage to 98+% (dropped rx's are very rare now). Next I was able to fine tune the 396t, 996t, 500, 600, and two new 800's to the same 98+% coverage. This was done by using the analytical features of the "(E)" on a dozen antennas, and various user controlled setting in the radios.

I no longer have the 396, but of the current seven that are in use every day, I can make the following "PROVEABLE" statements:

Indoors and in the truck, I have a fourway antenna splitter/power booster (18 volt).

I can listen to up to eight scanners at one time (If I stand in the front door, lol).

After first RECHECKING (using the HP-1 "E") each of the eight 4' feeds (from the booster/splitters) for equally strong and quality signals, I can arrange the seven scanners in any configuration (position among the 8 feeds) that anyone might suggest.

This will result in ALL (get that?), ALLseven scanners locking and holding on RWC Multisite Simulcast transmissions slightly better then the HP-1 performed out of the box, and FAR, FAR, better then the non HP-1's did for months and years!

If you are here in Maricopa County, you know the above is NOT possible, right? All of these miraculous transformations were due to the "(E)". Thanks Uniden!!!!

Up until the "(E)", I would/could have made statements to the effect that certain of my radios were superior to the others (in decoding the RWC nightmare). Of course, I would have been completely mistaken.

Rob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.