RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 12:13 AM

Question Sale Uniden 996XT for Home Patrol?

Gentlemen
I need your help, I have the 996XT (GPS) and now there is the tempting Home Patrol. This Home Patrol requires entering in a zip code (optional gps), the 996XT requires the optional gps. My question; What is the difference between the two (how they both pick up signals)? Is there an advantage of one over the other while using as a base and or mobile? Would it be worth selling the 996XT and getting the Home Patrol or just holding out until the smoke clears on this new device? I have not used the gps feature of the 996XT as of yet. Leaning toward dumping the 996XT for the Home Patrol. Comments please.
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2010, 3:06 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Post Scanners

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyR-MyLs View Post
Gentlemen
I need your help, I have the 996XT (GPS) and now there is the tempting Home Patrol. This Home Patrol requires entering in a zip code (optional gps), the 996XT requires the optional gps. My question; What is the difference between the two (how they both pick up signals)? Is there an advantage of one over the other while using as a base and or mobile? Would it be worth selling the 996XT and getting the Home Patrol or just holding out until the smoke clears on this new device? I have not used the gps feature of the 996XT as of yet. Leaning toward dumping the 996XT for the Home Patrol. Comments please.
IMHO I'd hold on to the 996XT. Others may have other thoughts.
Ham Gear: Icom 7000, U82, V82, V8
Old 10-09-2010, 7:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaf1956 View Post
IMHO I'd hold on to the 996XT. Others may have other thoughts.
I'm one of those guys who has "other thoughts", but for purely selfish reasons.

while I think the new Home patrol is great, i personally would like to have a good 396 or 996XT myself, and the way I look at things, I am hoping there will be a slew of used 396 and/or 996Xt scanners on the market in the near future so I can pick one up.

so short answer is - personally in your shoes I would keep it, but I'm hoping you and many others think otherwise and put it up for sale. Clear as mud now?

joe
Old 10-09-2010, 8:18 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I myself think that Home Patrol is way to new to think about getting and just reading has with anything new , they are some bugs to work.
Old 10-09-2010, 8:24 AM

I have to agree with w2csx, the Home Patrol is too new to even think about buying. I personally like to wait for at least 6 months after a product I want comes out before even thinking about buying it. That gives them enough time to work bugs out. I waited 8 months before getting my 396XT. Even if you do decide to get the HP-1 you should hang on to the 996XT and use it to stream a feed

VA3RIW
EchoLink Node 551400, Monitoring IRLP Node 2264 on VE3ONR
Sponsored links

Old 10-09-2010, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the advice: Yet being really new to the world of scanning, that is, my first scanner was the BCD 396T (circa 2008) and unfortunately I went with the ScanCat Lite program which drove me nuts
and out of frustration, I sold the 396XT (@give away $$) and threw out the Scan Cat pkg. Fast forward to 04-2010; I decide to get the 996XT (just for all it's features), and still having no skill at programming, it is now boxed up and stored away. So you all suggest waiting until the bug's are worked out with the Home Patrol, O.K, all advice taken. Guess I'll have to find a 996XT local elmer. I drive Tractor trailers all over the USA and primarily interested in using the GPS/Close Call feature of the 996XT. Thanks, 73
Old 10-09-2010, 10:43 AM

If you're having problems programming your 996, get a copy of FreeScan. Headache free programming since you're a premium subscriber. It uses the RR database. Check it out.

VA3RIW
EchoLink Node 551400, Monitoring IRLP Node 2264 on VE3ONR
Old 10-09-2010, 11:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyR-MyLs View Post
Thanks for the advice: Yet being really new to the world of scanning, that is, my first scanner was the BCD 396T (circa 2008) and unfortunately I went with the ScanCat Lite program which drove me nuts
and out of frustration, I sold the 396XT (@give away $$) and threw out the Scan Cat pkg. Fast forward to 04-2010; I decide to get the 996XT (just for all it's features), and still having no skill at programming, it is now boxed up and stored away. So you all suggest waiting until the bug's are worked out with the Home Patrol, O.K, all advice taken. Guess I'll have to find a 996XT local elmer. I drive Tractor trailers all over the USA and primarily interested in using the GPS/Close Call feature of the 996XT. Thanks, 73
Have you tried out FreeScan software. It's really easy to use and program scanner with. I use with my
new BCD996XT scanner.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What we need is a Home patrol feature, built into the 996XT now that is good scanning.
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2010, 11:15 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Post Hp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneil2000 View Post
I'm one of those guys who has "other thoughts", but for purely selfish reasons.

while I think the new Home patrol is great, i personally would like to have a good 396 or 996XT myself, and the way I look at things, I am hoping there will be a slew of used 396 and/or 996Xt scanners on the market in the near future so I can pick one up.

so short answer is - personally in your shoes I would keep it, but I'm hoping you and many others think otherwise and put it up for sale. Clear as mud now?

joe
Hey buy his 996XT and he can get the HP-1 ...Problem solved. lol I think if he wants to use GPS with location based scanning in 48 STATES the HP-1 may be better (Once the DB is updated and fixed) Loading the data for 48 States with GPS and all the info would be a daunting task for a non-programmer and even for an expert.
Ham Gear: Icom 7000, U82, V82, V8
Old 10-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkelso View Post
What we need is a Home patrol feature, built into the 996XT now that is good scanning.
Your kidding right? Bob has his thing and Joe has his.

Old 10-09-2010, 1:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpockets View Post
Your kidding right? Bob has his thing and Joe has his.
I never Kid, but i do joke around a lot.......