Home Patrol GPS function

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

It has been reported in another forum that the HP-1 is not compatible with any GPS unit that uses a mini-USB connector to output data. This includes the entire Garmin line.

The information was relayed by someone who spoke to a Uniden service rep via telephone.

I am still awaiting delivery of a mini adapter so I can run some tests, but I believe Uniden's person might have been mistaken. Uniden does not provide a GPS cable, but the HP-1 does come with a USB cable that is regular USB at one end (to connect to a PC) and mini-USB at the other (to connect to the radio). My plan is to try to use the USB cable to connect the HP-1 directly to my Garmin GPS and see what happens.

The experiment could fail without an actual GPS cable, which could be wired in a particular way. I will report back in a few days (the adapter will take a while to get here).

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
A 'USB' GPS will not work, the USB cable is for updating the database, favorites lists and firmware only.
You need a GPS with a serial port like ScannerMaster is selling that connects to the serial GPS port on the HP1.

Gommert
Butel Software

phask

Premium Subscriber
It has been reported in another forum that the HP-1 is not compatible with any GPS unit that uses a mini-USB connector to output data. This includes the entire Garmin line.

The information was relayed by someone who spoke to a Uniden service rep via telephone.

I am still awaiting delivery of a mini adapter so I can run some tests, but I believe Uniden's person might have been mistaken. Uniden does not provide a GPS cable, but the HP-1 does come with a USB cable that is regular USB at one end (to connect to a PC) and mini-USB at the other (to connect to the radio). My plan is to try to use the USB cable to connect the HP-1 directly to my Garmin GPS and see what happens.

The experiment could fail without an actual GPS cable, which could be wired in a particular way. I will report back in a few days (the adapter will take a while to get here).
What he said.... No NMEA output via Garmin's USB.

BTW - that call seems familiar from some where online - de N8PFF - but sure not active

D

DaveNF2G

Uniden needs to update their advertising and documentation. Customers should be told that the radio only works with one particular kind of GPS receiver.

I wonder if my Garmin will work with my BCD396XT...

phask

Premium Subscriber
Uniden needs to update their advertising and documentation. Customers should be told that the radio only works with one particular kind of GPS receiver.

I wonder if my Garmin will work with my BCD396XT...

396xt is same exact setup - got both myself.

Squad10

If serial TTL voltage is used for the Uniden GPS port, it would be nice if the Uniden setup configuration would allow GPS port speed selection of 4800 or 38400. Using 38400 would allow most GPS Bluetooth receivers w/ TTL serial connector to be wired directly to the scanner. The majority of GPS Bluetooth receivers I've seen output NMEA 38400 through the data/battery charge connector, such as the tiny Holux M-1200.

For a M-1200 38400 wireless Bluetooth connection to a 4800 serial port, I've used the Roving Networks RN-41/42-SM and RN-41.

GPS unit

I just received today the gps receiver and adaptor kit for the home patrol. the receiver measures about 1 1/2 inch long by 1 1/4 inch wide. the screws that attach the adaptor to the receiver wouldnt tighten completly but I hooked it up and attached it to the scanner and the gps on the scanner was recognized and said gps connected.

Baylink

Premium Subscriber
It sounds to me as if the USB interface on the HP is set up only to be a "slave", not a "master"; it can therefore interface to a PC, but cannot control a GPS; the former are generally themselves masters, and the latter slaves. (Yes, I know, that's not the formal USB terminology; I can't remember it just now: send me through a TSA exam.)

the screws from the gps receiver do not tighten they just bump into the ends of the screws orange band- they just match screw to screw to the adaptor that attaches to the pin adaptor yellow band which goes to the usb cable and the lighter plug.. these screws do tighten mostly. What you have essentially are two pinned connections one plugged into the other. Uniden told me in an email that they would have their own gps unit sometime next year. There are two pin connections an orange band one plugs into a yellow band one. the screws on the orange band side, the side to the gps receive do not tighten because there is no hole to go into they just hit the screws coming from the other pin connection- the yellow banded on which do tighted because there are holes for them to go into.

Last edited:

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
If serial TTL voltage is used for the Uniden GPS port, it would be nice if the Uniden setup configuration would allow GPS port speed selection of 4800 or 38400. Using 38400 would allow most GPS Bluetooth receivers w/ TTL serial connector to be wired directly to the scanner. The majority of GPS Bluetooth receivers I've seen output NMEA 38400 through the data/battery charge connector, such as the tiny Holux M-1200.

For a M-1200 38400 wireless Bluetooth connection to a 4800 serial port, I've used the Roving Networks RN-41/42-SM and RN-41.

Tab 'GPS' then 'More Options'. You now set GPS port baudrate from 4800 up to 115200.

Gommert
Butel Software

D

DaveNF2G

Is there a vendor who has the Uniden GPS adaptor cable in stock? The Uniden website says there won't be a GPS adaptor kit available until January, 2011. So how have people been connecting GPS to the 996T and the XT models until now?

Grasscatcher

I just got a BCD396XT and made a trip with my GPS hooked up and it worked just fine.

Used the serial cable that came with unit (mini USB on scanner end and DB9 male serial on the other end) , then Null modem with gender changer hooked to another serial cable from Garmin GPS ( 76 series, or 60 series, or 78 series, ie any that will output NMEA string) The GPS cable plugs into the Garmin 4 pin round serial port on the GPS . Must be serial cable only...not USB. A straight through cable from GPS to scanner will not work....(without the Null modem connection in between the two SERIAL cables)

scanchs

Hp-1 gps connection...

Is there a vendor who has the Uniden GPS adaptor cable in stock? The Uniden website says there won't be a GPS adaptor kit available until January, 2011. So how have people been connecting GPS to the 996T and the XT models until now?

Hi Dave,

How? By using any GPS unit with an NMEA serial output (not USB) and a cable with a DB9 connector on the end which plugs directly into the rear serial port of a BCD996XT (or T) with no adapter needed. I currently use a Garmin GPS 18 OEM puck style (PC version) for this purpose, but even my old Garmin V and Garmin III Plus units worked, too. There are numerous other compatible models out there, although my Garmin Nuvi is not one of them. :(

If you want to use a serial type GPS (not USB) with the front serial port of the BCD996XT (or T), or with a BCD396XT, you have to use the serial programming cable that came with the scanner, in combination with a null modem/gender changer adapter. It turns out that this same cable and adapter combination also works with the HP-1! ;)

I'm guessing the cable Uniden is preparing to sell specifically for the HP-1 either won't need a null modem/gender changer adapter, or it will include one in the kit if it does. Either way, you can currently use any serial programming cable from a T or XT series scanner in combination with a null modem/gender changer adapter on the HP-1 (just make sure the baud rates in the HP-1 and the GPS match)... :)

ScanCHS

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

So none of the more recent GPS units with onscreen mapping and turn-by-turn navigation will work with a scanner? I have been unable to find any such unit with a serial output.

Grasscatcher

The new Garmin 78 series (as mentioned above) has serial/nmea output, as well as the previous 76/60 series GPSs. I don't believe the new 62 series has the 4 pin serial output port.

My 76CSx and 78S both work fine, and have the capability of auto routing maps.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
I bought this set up for HP-1 it works great, not the cleanest setup but it does work. went on a 200 mile round trip the whole set up work great.

GPS

SOFA_KING

I just got a Garmin Rino 130 dirt cheap and plan on using it for when I get an HP-1.

Hope it will work ok. If it does, I'll get another Rino to play with. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.