Home Patrol - 1 Question for External Speaker?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1ASS

I just got my HP1 yesterday and I am going through its functions,I see it has a jack for headphones for 32ohms,I don't see anything about a external speaker??????I plugged one of my kenwood KES-3 and it does not have enough audio out ( 4 ohm - 5watts ).Any help on this topic???????
Thank you Bill / N1ASS.73............
TheN1ass@yahoo.com

Attachments

• 73red.gif
    73red.gif
    73 KB · Views: 2,734

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
If it has only a headphone jack then you need to use an amplified external speaker.

GrumpyGuard

RS has a couple of models, one is a 12V amplified speaker. It has good sound quality and runs around $25.00 RS also has a small 2inch model that runs on a single nine volt battery. It's sound is not as good.

Viper43

I just got my HP1 yesterday and I am going through its functions,I see it has a jack for headphones for 32ohms,I don't see anything about a external speaker??????I plugged one of my kenwood KES-3 and it does not have enough audio out ( 4 ohm - 5watts ).Any help on this topic???????
Thank you Bill / N1ASS.73............
TheN1ass@yahoo.com

1: there is also a "Line Out" as well
2: Blame lawyers.... Uniden did a CYA and lowered volume out on the HP-1 headphone jack.... smart move to cover themselves from sensless suits
3: You will need an amplified speaker AND a stereo to mono adapter or you will get a "hum"

N1ASS

there is also a "Line Out" as well

Okay I'll go check out the Rat-Shack for the speakers,Now I can not get my Audio feed to work on the Line out??????
What's up with that?????????
It worked 100% on my BCD-996T.

Viper43

Okay I'll go check out the Rat-Shack for the speakers,Now I can not get my Audio feed to work on the Line out??????

Can't answer that, but are your volume levels ok? I know at least one feed was run with an HP1 so it should work.

rwier

I vote with Grumpy, rs 12 volt and you will need an adapter to go from the speaker to the headphone jack. Like they told me when I asked the same, get a stereo tip and not mono.

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
Unused amplified computer speakers work well or even run it into the line in on your computer sound card to hear it through the attached computer speakers....

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
If only uniden could just put some real audio amplifiers and a decent speaker in these scanners we would not have these problems! Even the audio for external speaker is weak and ineffective. Get real uniden! $500 bucks for these top of the line scanners and you have to spend more on a good speaker.

derevs

You must remember one thing about more audio. It requires more battery power and a larger amp circuit. Probably resulting in more heat from the unit. Use the line out and an amplifier.

I find my HP-1 has more than enough volume where I use it.

N1ASS

Thank you for the information,I did hook up a amplified speaker to it and I am happy now.Thank you all for your replies.73..Bill / N1ASS.

You must remember one thing about more audio. It requires more battery power and a larger amp circuit. Probably resulting in more heat from the unit. Use the line out and an amplifier.

I find my HP-1 has more than enough volume where I use it.

rwier

HP-1 using RS 12 Volt (Cat # 21-130) speaker.

Attach mono-stereo plug adapter to the mono plug at the end of the speaker wire. Plug into earphone plug hole on HP-1. HP-1 built-in speaker disables itself. Tremendous results, indoors 60% volume on the HP-1 is about the limit for pleasurable listening over the RS speaker.

Pull plug and change adapter tip. Still mono-stereo, but the stereo tip is now smaller. Plug this into the line out on the HP-1. Good quality sound from the RS speaker at what was about 50% volume with the above example using the earphone jack. HP-1 built-in speaker does not disable. Volume settings affect the HP-1 volume but not the line out volume. No noticeable deterioration of the HP-1 built-in speaker sound when line out was in operation.

Nothing observed that would resemble the many postings at the Uniden Forum concerning problems with mis-matches of watts, amps, ohms, etc.

N8IYR

With all the talk about the stereo to mono adapter, I picked one up before my HP-1 arrived. However, the adapter seemed to be having issues, the audio would cut out after wiggling it it would snap back in.

I decided to unhook and take it out of line to test to be sure it was the problem, much to my surprise, the audio from the RS Amplified speaker using the original Mono plug sounds great.
Has Uniden listened and changed this plug?? I have only had the scanner for a week now, but it sounds as good if not a little better using the mono plug direct.

What were the issues from others who had to use the adapter?

McP

Interested in external speakers, I found this thread. I headed out to my local RS and picked up a mono-stereo adapter to try on my computer speakers. I hooked them up to my HP and still had that buzz.

I decided to try another set of small speakers I had on a different PC and that worked fine. In fact, it worked just as fine without the mono-stereo adapter. Much better sound now.

So I guess it's possible, it could be the speakers that some are using that causes the home. Both sets of speakers I tried were USB powered speaker.

I realize the thread deals mainly with amplified speakers using them in vehicles, but one of the similar threads covered using computer speakers for home.

bfpdb

Audio and Volume leaves alot to be desired, when i put some amp speakers on it it humed so bad that i took them off, after paying $500 bucks for it i now just have to live with it. and i have the extreme upgrade and it dont do anything for my HP because i only listen to about 5 or 6 channels.

jscurtis

Premium Subscriber
Anyone tried the 'line in' to a PC soundcard input?? it has to be better audio than the speaker....

JASII

Memory Capacity
New Uniden Communications Speaker Line

Since Uniden will be coming out with a new line of communications speakers later this year, I will try to hold off and just buy one of those. In the past I would often buy whatever speaker at a hamfest, etc, but I am consdiering getting a matching YAesu/Vertex speaker for my Yaesu FT-8800R and one of the forthcoming Uniden communications speakers for the Uniden Home Patrol HP-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.