RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 7:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default 396XT & 996XT Price Drop!

Am I the only one who has noticed the recent price decline of the 996XT and 396XT? I see they are $479.95 at ScannerMaster and Grove. Since no sale is indicated, I am assuming these are new lowered prices. (I haven't checked other places yet.) I hope this is the beginning of an overall downward trend to make radios more affordable. I have wanted one of these for so long, and it is getting more and more tempting.
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Its still not low enough. They are way over priced. A lot of people forgo the purchase and settle on listening for free via a live audio feed on here. There is a couple e-bay vendors selling them a little less than that with free shipping. Honestly I don't think they should've ever charged more than $350.00 at the most for any of them.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayi4cle View Post
Am I the only one who has noticed the recent price decline of the 996XT and 396XT? I see they are $479.95 at ScannerMaster and Grove. Since no sale is indicated, I am assuming these are new lowered prices. (I haven't checked other places yet.) I hope this is the beginning of an overall downward trend to make radios more affordable. I have wanted one of these for so long, and it is getting more and more tempting.
$469.90 here; HP-1 $482.90
Old 02-15-2011, 11:06 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I am thinking about getting a BCD996XT in the near future.
After a lot of research on the web, the only two things holding me back is money and the lack of an obvious way to use it as a desk top model. I presently have a BC796D (no 700 MHz) which has a fold out set of legs........brings it to a great angle for viewing.
Looks like the 996 is truly designed for mobile listening. Any ideas for desk top use????
Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I think most people put the mounting bracket for vehicles on the unit upside down so that it serves for a table stand allowing you to adjust the viewing angle.
Old 02-15-2011, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmedic View Post
I think most people put the mounting bracket for vehicles on the unit upside down so that it serves for a table stand allowing you to adjust the viewing angle.
Works great that way and even comes with some rubber self adhesive feet to go on the bottom of the bracket...
Old 02-15-2011, 4:03 PM

Good to hear, but still WAY too steep of a price.

Someone in a differnt thread recently described the UNIDENS like the Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad monopoly... they strictly control their prices and keep their supply and demand in check.. they figure if you want it that bad, you're gunna have to shell out the benjamins they want.
Old 02-15-2011, 4:14 PM

IMBE is not a free codec. Manufactures have to pay licensing fees for each IMBE scanner produced. That's why they are more expensive than analog only scanners. No price fixing.
Old 02-15-2011, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTS3000 View Post
IMBE is not a free codec. Manufactures have to pay licensing fees for each IMBE scanner produced. That's why they are more expensive than analog only scanners. No price fixing.
Still, they DO maintain a tight price control on their line of products.

For example, the RS/GRE digital models are available at much more reasonable price... granted, they may lack some features that the Uniden's have, but still - - RS is currently offering their 106 for a low 299.99....

You'll never see Uniden going near that low in the near future.
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2011, 4:48 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTS3000 View Post

I guess Armstrong got dissed big time then, nobody charged license fees for FM. This new codec is the new FM basically for public service two way radio and they are making a kiliing on it. At our expense of course so yeah, the codec people are price fixing the market. It seems they can charge what ever they want and they get it.
Old 02-15-2011, 4:52 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot007 View Post
I guess Armstrong got dissed big time then, nobody charged license fees for FM. This new codec is the new FM basically for public service two way radio and they are making a kiliing on it. At our expense of course so yeah, the codec people are price fixing the market. It seems they can charge what ever they want and they get it.
And it doesnt help that Uniden tries to run their own monopoly on top of the codec fees....