396XT & 996XT Price Drop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
Am I the only one who has noticed the recent price decline of the 996XT and 396XT? I see they are $479.95 at ScannerMaster and Grove. Since no sale is indicated, I am assuming these are new lowered prices. (I haven't checked other places yet.) I hope this is the beginning of an overall downward trend to make radios more affordable. I have wanted one of these for so long, and it is getting more and more tempting. :)

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Its still not low enough. They are way over priced. A lot of people forgo the purchase and settle on listening for free via a live audio feed on here. There is a couple e-bay vendors selling them a little less than that with free shipping. Honestly I don't think they should've ever charged more than $350.00 at the most for any of them.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Am I the only one who has noticed the recent price decline of the 996XT and 396XT? I see they are $479.95 at ScannerMaster and Grove. Since no sale is indicated, I am assuming these are new lowered prices. (I haven't checked other places yet.) I hope this is the beginning of an overall downward trend to make radios more affordable. I have wanted one of these for so long, and it is getting more and more tempting. :)
$469.90 here; HP-1 $482.90

joekup

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking about getting a BCD996XT in the near future.
After a lot of research on the web, the only two things holding me back is money and the lack of an obvious way to use it as a desk top model. I presently have a BC796D (no 700 MHz) which has a fold out set of legs........brings it to a great angle for viewing.
Looks like the 996 is truly designed for mobile listening. Any ideas for desk top use????

woodmedic

Feed Provider
I think most people put the mounting bracket for vehicles on the unit upside down so that it serves for a table stand allowing you to adjust the viewing angle.

vinzep491

Good to hear, but still WAY too steep of a price.

Someone in a differnt thread recently described the UNIDENS like the Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad monopoly... they strictly control their prices and keep their supply and demand in check.. they figure if you want it that bad, you're gunna have to shell out the benjamins they want.

XTS3000

IMBE is not a free codec. Manufactures have to pay licensing fees for each IMBE scanner produced. That's why they are more expensive than analog only scanners. No price fixing.

vinzep491

IMBE is not a free codec. Manufactures have to pay licensing fees for each IMBE scanner produced. That's why they are more expensive than analog only scanners. No price fixing.

Still, they DO maintain a tight price control on their line of products.

For example, the RS/GRE digital models are available at much more reasonable price... granted, they may lack some features that the Uniden's have, but still - - RS is currently offering their 106 for a low 299.99....

You'll never see Uniden going near that low in the near future.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber

I guess Armstrong got dissed big time then, nobody charged license fees for FM. This new codec is the new FM basically for public service two way radio and they are making a kiliing on it. At our expense of course so yeah, the codec people are price fixing the market. It seems they can charge what ever they want and they get it.

vinzep491

I guess Armstrong got dissed big time then, nobody charged license fees for FM. This new codec is the new FM basically for public service two way radio and they are making a kiliing on it. At our expense of course so yeah, the codec people are price fixing the market. It seems they can charge what ever they want and they get it.

And it doesnt help that Uniden tries to run their own monopoly on top of the codec fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.