Help! Wife angry about loud tones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6pmnews

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to lower the volume of fire and emt tones WITHOUT attenuating the level of the voice communication? I have a BCd996T

Viper43

no, you have two choices - stop scanning fire dispatch or get a new wife..... I vote for the second one, just make sure the replacement wife knows whats up ahead of time :)
Well, I guess there is a third chioce too.... get the wifey a set of earplugs. But thats only if you really want to keep her...

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Is there a way to lower the volume of fire and emt tones WITHOUT attenuating the level of the voice communication? I have a BCd996T

Monitor the input if it's a repeater or monitor the mobile extender if they have one,instead of the output channel? Also program the pl if used.

n9zas

N2JDS

Mike, I've been trying for years to get that fixed at my work. In my ambulance, we have to keep volume down some, so we don't launch off the seats everytime the tones drop, then turn it up so we can fully hear voice. Radio Repair says they try, and can't match the voice volume to the tones. My guess is, when it's not a problem for the people paying the bill, it's not a big enough problem.

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
Eq

If you are really in need of attenuating those frequencies, you could get a graphic or parametric equalizer and cut those frequencies used by the tones. It should work well, as that is one of the major uses of an EQ. You may reduce the quality of the voice somewhat in those ranges, but it will damn near isolate the tones. This implies that you are using an external speaker/preamp.

Vince

Last edited:

MarMatthias

There are two approaches to this:

1. Volume normalization software on your computer and run the signal into the computer.

2. An external speaker with volume normalization built in. This might be pricey though.

jim202

Monitor the input if it's a repeater or monitor the mobile extender if they have one,instead of the output channel? Also program the pl if used.

n9zas

Can you explain how monitoring the input of a repeater will cut down on the page tone levels. The last time I used a service monitor to adjust a repeater, what came in the input was just about the same as what went out of the repeater by just a few tenths of a KHz of deviation if it is adjusted correctly.

Been in this field for some 47 years and have never heard anyone suggesting such an idea that the repeater input had a lower audio volume level than the repeater output.

Paulsan

The problem with the "new wife" suggestion is that all wives run on the same software. It is loaded from the womb and is titled "B**chy 4.0". There is no real workaround for the bugs other than to select "Ignore" or "Selective Hearing" from the "Options" settings. Jack Daniels is another recourse.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
The XT allows you to tweak the AGC settings. I don't have a T anymore, you might doublecheck. I was able to do it in a way that quickly reduces the tone level so it's much more in line with the voice.

Tom_G

The problem with the "new wife" suggestion is that all wives run on the same software. It is loaded from the womb and is titled "B**chy 4.0". There is no real workaround for the bugs other than to select "Ignore" or "Selective Hearing" from the "Options" settings. Jack Daniels is another recourse.

LOL, I hear Johnnie Walker Black also works well...;)

epersson

Feed Provider
I know this is not a 'blanket' answer but one of the dispatches near me does not transmit the PLL tones with the tone out, then puts them in with any voice traffic. I can bypass the tones from that dispatch by putting the PLL in. However, there are two others that transmit the PLL with the tones so I only block out what actually is the most active. So, while it probably won't work for the majority it works here.

N8IAA

The little foam noise reduction ear plugs would help. Getting a new wife is waaayyyy to expensive:lol::lol::lol:
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.