Make your own Uniden programming cable for $5

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9NGF

I got tired of waiting for my Uniden programming cable, plus i was bored, so I built my own.

Note: This cable is for serial communication to your Uniden scanner only.
Do not try to connect the cable from Amazon directly to your scanner or it may be damaged.
I take no responsibilty for any of this info, proceed at your own risk.
This works with my BCD396XT, but should work with others that use the same cable.

Parts:
USB to Hirose connector cable. $0.99
Amazon.com: USB A to Mini-B 4-Pin Cable: 6 ft (Hirose/Single Notch) - by Abacus24-7: Electronics

DB9 Female connector $1.15
Amazon.com: Solder Cup D-Sub Connector, DB9 Female: Electronics

DB9 Hood $0.85
Amazon.com: Assembled D-Sub Hood Kit, DB9/HD15 Gray: Electronics

Cut off the rectangular USB connector and solder these wires to the female D-SUB connector.
You will also have a shield, I just cut it off, but you could solder it to the hood if you have a metal hood.

RED PIN 2 RXD
GRN PIN 3 TXD
BLK PIN 5 GND
WHT PIN 8 CTS

Attachments

• db9.jpg
    db9.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 4,401

danmandle

Does this make a RS232 cable? I assume you still need a RS232 (serial) to USB adaptor. Should this also work with a BC346XT?

Thanks!

richk107

While the connector to the scanner appears to be USB, it is nothing more then serial. I've made the same cable for my Homebrew Remotehead project.

jackj

The cable you list is apparently unavailable from Amazon, at least your link leads to a product that Amazon says in unavailable. The cable that plugs into the front connector on my 996T is NOT a USB mini-B connector. It has 5 connections and they are pins, not slip connectors. Your cable might work on your scanner but it won't work on mine.

SCPD

QRT
Jackl: If you got to the rear of the 996t you have a serial port with a plastic cap cover on it. You can go serial to serial via the back port.

jackj

I know

Jackl: If you got to the rear of the 996t you have a serial port with a plastic cap cover on it. You can go serial to serial via the back port.
Yes, I know xeno. That's the one I use for programing, you need a null-modem cable though. However he is talking about using the front connector and that is not a USB connector. It's a special connector that just looks similar to a mini USB.

sphipps

Hey... thanks much for posting this info! Just got a used BC346XT at a pawn shop without the serial cable and don't want to invest much in it. I picked up all of the parts for under $8 shipped from USA sellers on Ebay and going to "roll" my own. Thanks again!

N9NGF

The cable you list is apparently unavailable from Amazon, at least your link leads to a product that Amazon says in unavailable. The cable that plugs into the front connector on my 996T is NOT a USB mini-B connector. It has 5 connections and they are pins, not slip connectors. Your cable might work on your scanner but it won't work on mine.

The cable that I had referenced WILL work on yours, unless uniden has changed the connectors they now use. If you had read the entire post, I state cut off the recatangular USB connector. You are only using the other end of the cable, which is a single notch hirose connector.

Here is a new link to the cable that can be used.

Amazon.com: 23.5-Inch USB A to Mini B USB 2.0 Cable (Black): Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.