RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 4:53 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Looking to upgrade

Is there a big difference between the 996t and 996xt? Im looking to upgrade and phase out some of my older scanners. One of the newer scanners I have is the bct15x and I love it. I love my old 780xlts as well, but its time to start upgrading. I do have a Radio Shack PRO-160, but ive always been partial to Uniden. Especially since I use ProScan and it only supports Uniden scanners. Just looking for pros, cons and any feedback. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGuru307 View Post
Is there a big difference between the 996t and 996xt? Im looking to upgrade and phase out some of my older scanners. One of the newer scanners I have is the bct15x and I love it. I love my old 780xlts as well, but its time to start upgrading. I do have a Radio Shack PRO-160, but ive always been partial to Uniden. Especially since I use ProScan and it only supports Uniden scanners. Just looking for pros, cons and any feedback. Thanks
The major differences are between the 996T & 996XT are noted in the Wiki. On the 996XT's page, features new for the XT are bold. (However, one item, the EDACS ESK support, I believe was added to the 996T version via firmware update, so that's no longer a 'difference'. That was also the case the the 396T vs the 396XT.) There's also higher channel capacity (25,000 vs 6,00), and more talkgroups per system (500 vs 250).
Old 04-03-2011, 3:34 PM

I never owned the 996t but have the 996XT, the 3 volume increase in the menu is great for a couple systems that have poor audio, also pressing the "HOLD" for two sec and it holds on any given "SYSTEM" permanantly until u hold it down again....It decodes the ILL-Starcom 700[800 Digital system great....
Old 04-03-2011, 9:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Close, I have a 996Tand a 396XT

The difference in digital decoding from my 996T to the 396XT is like night and day. Almost equals the quality of digital voice on my PSR-600.