Powerex 2700mah Batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDNYOPS

Premium Subscriber
I just recently got a BCD396T from a friend, and he was using regular alkaline batteries... I want to purchase some rechargeable batteries that will last a good amount of time.

Are the Powerex 2700mah batteries the best choice for this scanner?

Would you recommend the MAHA MH-C9000 charger for these batteries?

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
NOT Great

I just recently got a BCD396T from a friend, and he was using regular alkaline batteries... I want to purchase some rechargeable batteries that will last a good amount of time.

Thanks.

I had those batteries(for my scanner) and two weeks ago they stopped holding a charge for no longer then about 2hrs, and i have only had them for about 4 months now. I was just informed that these batteries are not meant for long period discharge...meaning running the scanner for hours at a time. they are best used for a flash on a camera ,etc..Now this was told to me by a store in my area that just sells batteries,So Im taking there word for it , (what the hell do i know about batteries) They gave me a battery called NUON 2500 MaH NiMH These damn things run ALL day for me .Im Impressed..well just my two cents..OH and as for your question on battery chargers i was also told to use a charger that slow charges vs. fast charging ...hope this info helps alittle

Last edited:

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I use the Powerex batteries and the C-9000 charger. My 396XT runs almost 15 hours, I am very happy with them. I use the "soft charging" feature, and have never had a problem.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
PowerEx

I use the Powerex batteries and the C-9000 charger. My 396XT runs almost 15 hours, I am very happy with them. I use the "soft charging" feature, and have never had a problem.

I just thought i sould get more then a few months out of them before they failed ...I used my BCD396XT to charge them and i tried my regular charger also but i didnt see any difference..

MarkScan how long have you had them??

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I had those batteries(for my scanner) and two weeks ago they stopped holding a charge for no longer then about 2hrs, and i have only had them for about 4 months now. I was just informed that these batteries are not meant for long period discharge...meaning running the scanner for hours at a time. they are best used for a flash on a camera ,etc..Now this was told to me by a store in my area that just sells batteries,So Im taking there word for it , (what the hell do i know about batteries) They gave me a battery called NUON 2500 MaH NiMH These damn things run ALL day for me .Im Impressed..well just my two cents..OH and as for your question on battery chargers i was also told to use a charger that slow charges vs. fast charging ...hope this info helps alittle
I had the same trouble with the powerex. They are OK if you use them right away but are stone dead after a week on the shelf, I mean stone dead. I switched to the Imideon. They still keep well over half their charge after two months on the shelf. And I have abused them a fair bit with fast charging and what-not while travelling. I have the 9000 charger at home and would use nothing else when able.

Dewey

Thanks.

As others have chimed in, there is nothing actually wrong with this combination. I ran the exact same combination for about 3 years into last year. While the 2700s are very long lasting in operation, I am not happy with their life longevity. I've also read somewhere that the higher the capacity, the more fragile the cell because the more that is packed into it (the material separating the elements is getting thinner and thinner). I have since switched downward to the low discharge Imedions, and am very happy. While I may only get ~ 8 hours of operation, the batteries can sit around for a couple weeks, and still be strong! None of my 2700s lasted more than 1 and 1/2 years, but I have some three year old Imedions that are still giving ~ 1600 mAh of there 2100 mAh service, even after sitting for over a week.

Dewey

jackj

I bought some Sanyo Eneloop AA cells to use in my photo flash along with the Maha MH-C9000 charger. These are Ni-MH cells and are rated at 2000 mAH. They are supposed to retain about 80% of their charge after 3 years of sitting on the shelf. I can't speak to their claim of 3 years but I can tell you that they hold their charge a LOT longer than regular Ni-MH cells that you get at WalMart. I have never used the Imedion cells but I would expect them to be about the same as the Eneloops.

To get the maximum number of recharges out of any Nickel-based rechargeable cell, you should use a slow charge rate (~16 hrs). Anything faster will reduce the number of charges you can get and the faster you charge, the lower number of recharges you get. Also Ni-MH cells don't like extended trickle or maintenance charging. You should take the cell out of the charger as soon as it is charged.

The nice thing about the Maha MH-C9000 charger is that you can set the charge rate for each cell plus it will charge and monitor each cell independently. It's the only charger I have found that will do that. The main thing I don't like about it is that the programmable charge rates are too high. The lowest charge rate you can program in is 200 mA and that is too high for AAA cells that are rated at 900 - 1200 mAH.

NYRHKY94

Thumbs up on the Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries. I was dissapointed with the major "brand name" rechargeables, so I made the switch to the Eneloops back in December. I matched them up with a Lacrosse BC-9009 charger and I couldn't be happier. The Sanyo's have held up to their claim & the good reviews I read before purchasing them.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
2700 Powerex

I have to agree that the Powerex batteries don't hold a charge for long once they are out of the charger. I took some on a trip to use in my camera, and was surprised to find them dead. I only get about a year of use out of them. My present batch was purchased in November 2010, so I expect to find them dropping off in October 2011. Maybe I'll try the Sanyo Eneloops this time around.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have to agree that the Powerex batteries don't hold a charge for long once they are out of the charger. I took some on a trip to use in my camera, and was surprised to find them dead. I only get about a year of use out of them. My present batch was purchased in November 2010, so I expect to find them dropping off in October 2011. Maybe I'll try the Sanyo Eneloops this time around.

Please read the battery specs charge the power ex in the recomended charger I get 16 hours digital traffic they are not the charge and put on the shelf there are batteries that hold a shelf charge but these are not them. Here is a good site for info on batteries Largest selection of AAA, AA, C, D, 9V nimh Rechargeable Batteries, Chargers, Sanyo, Eneloop, Maha, Imedion, Powerex

SCPD

QRT

Thanks.

I would HIGHLY recommend the MAHA MH-C9000 charger. I have owned one for a while now and I LOVE this charger. It is one of the best I have ever come across.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sanyo wins hands down

In my experience, the Sanyo eneloops (2000mah) batteries are much better than the PowerEx 2700mah NiMh batteries. I do use the Maha charger, but do not like the fact it refuses to charge some batteries -- especially the PowerEx!!!!

I started with 5 sets (of 4) of PowerEx and 2 sets (of 4) of Sanyos. All of the PowerEx batteries will no longer hold a charge and/or will not charge in the Maha charger and/or will not charge in any charger.

Meanwhile the Sanyos, now over 2 years old, still have great shelf-life (hold a charge after being charged but just sitting there), run the scanners longer then the PowerEx did before they died completely and have never been refused to charge by the Maha charger.

I have not done all the math, but I don't think the capacity of the PowerEx was greater than the Sanyos (2000mah) by the end of their life either. Keep in mind I bought all 7 sets of these batteries at the same time.

wmbio

I had the same problem with the Powerex 2700...Purchased 32 batteries 1 year ago, threw them all in the garbage before Christmas. I was lucky to see 1000mah capacity after a year of service. They die very quick I noticed and It did not matter how they were charged or refreshed.
My 2 cents worth.
Enjoy

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Another vote for Eneloops.

I use them in my camera flash setup (I have 3) and they're great, with LaCrosse BC-700 and BC-900 chargers. I'm still using a set of the LaCrosse 2600 mah cells too, swapping with Eneloops in my BCD396XT.

W9NES

I use 2900Mah rehchargable batteries in my Uniden 396XT. I get plenty of life out of them and I carry a extra set of them that have allready be charged so I will not miss anything.

FDNYOPS

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the comments. I only really use the handheld scanner every so often when I'm at work or bored and not at home or in my car... (in my car I have two BCT15 scanners going, and at home i have 2 BCT15's and 4 BC780XLT's going all the time). I guess I'm just looking for the top of the line batteries that i can recharge and not really have to worry about all that much, and be able to leave the scanner on for around 12 hours straight...

Eng74

I have never had a problem with the Powerex 2700. If do the break in on them and then refresh them after a few months of use or when the storage gets lower you should get lots of use out them. I use them in my Unidens and my GRE radios.

kb8rvp

I use the MAHA MH-C9000 charger and Powerex 2700 and have never had a problem. I have been using them for 5 years and have four sets of 4 and number them so I keep each set of 4 together so I don't mix old and new ones. I have replaced them over the years. I get 2-3 years out of a set.

Mike

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Wow!!!

I use the MAHA MH-C9000 charger and Powerex 2700 and have never had a problem. I have been using them for 5 years and have four sets of 4 and number them so I keep each set of 4 together so I don't mix old and new ones. I have replaced them over the years. I get 2-3 years out of a set.

Mike

They must have screwed up something(in your favor) when they made your batteries at the factory because you got MAGIC PowerEx batteries if your gettin 2-3 yrs out of them..Never have i seen a rechargeable battery last that long...EVER! I didnt even abuse my set and i got less then 6months out of them they are in the trash can now...

Last edited:
Another person here with 3 years on three sets of Powerex 2700's. All still work. You have to refresh them often IF you do not use them fully before recharge, and they tell you that.

Never seen one go bad yet, and yeah I use the maha charger / conditioner.

On a related note, if you DROP an ultra high capacity battery, they are MUCH more likely to be TOAST from that point forward, as the membranes are much thinner and they are more easily ruined.

I have found that that a good, cheap, and easily purchased alternative is the energizer 2300 battery that you can get at any walmart. They last a long time, are cheap, and are easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.