396xt using P25 LP filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

I just started turning on the P25 LP filter with my 396xt and it really does make the audio sound so much more life like. It removes that "whine" or ever-so-slight whistle that comes with P25 transmissions. I still keep the AGC off, though. Here's my question: does leaving the P25 LP filter "on" compromise performance? I thought I read somewhere where the filter uses up more of the internal processor capacity. Does this deplete batteries faster?
Any reason why to not leave it on?
Thanks,
BG..

N8IYR

I just started turning on the P25 LP filter with my 396xt and it really does make the audio sound so much more life like. It removes that "whine" or ever-so-slight whistle that comes with P25 transmissions. I still keep the AGC off, though. Here's my question: does leaving the P25 LP filter "on" compromise performance? I thought I read somewhere where the filter uses up more of the internal processor capacity. Does this deplete batteries faster?
Any reason why to not leave it on?
Thanks,
BG..

From the wiki* '''P25 LP Filter''' - This setting lets you set the scanner to apply a software filter that removes the 4kHz tone you can hear on some P25 systems. Note that turning on this setting increases the CPU load and could slightly degrade P25 decode performance on some systems.

Doesn't say anything about battery life, but you are correct on the cpu, so my guess is it probably will drain it quicker.
Experiment and post the results? May be a good test.

MarMatthias

From the wiki* '''P25 LP Filter''' - This setting lets you set the scanner to apply a software filter that removes the 4kHz tone you can hear on some P25 systems. Note that turning on this setting increases the CPU load and could slightly degrade P25 decode performance on some systems.

Doesn't say anything about battery life, but you are correct on the cpu, so my guess is it probably will drain it quicker.
Experiment and post the results? May be a good test.

I leave both the P25 LP filter and the AGC on constantly. I don't notice a difference in battery life or usability. When I first got my 396XT, I did tests with the power save on and off as well as the P25 LP filter and the AGC.

The battery save helps out a lot, but you will loose short messages like "officer down". I leave it off and it 8 to 11 hours on my batteries. The LED uses the most power, IMHO. The AGC and the P25 LP filter seem to be very minor on the battery as far as I can tell.

The improvement in audio quality for me has made the AGC and the P25 LP filter worth any small amount of power it takes to provide. I also don't notice any difference in how much I receive with the added CPU usage that may have.

ButchGone

Well, after running the LP filter a few days I don't notice any less battery operating time. I have never gotten the 10-12 hours of battery run time some people claim, though. I keep volume between 6-9 on two very active systems so I get more like 5-6 hours per charge. I suppose if I was manually parked on one channel/talkgroup all the time the battery charge life would be longer.
BTW the HP-1 digital audio sounds good too, as if an LP filter is on all the time.
BG..

Danny6569

LP filter

I leave both the P25 LP filter and the AGC on constantly. I don't notice a difference in battery life or usability. When I first got my 396XT, I did tests with the power save on and off as well as the P25 LP filter and the AGC.

The battery save helps out a lot, but you will loose short messages like "officer down". I leave it off and it 8 to 11 hours on my batteries. The LED uses the most power, IMHO. The AGC and the P25 LP filter seem to be very minor on the battery as far as I can tell.

The improvement in audio quality for me has made the AGC and the P25 LP filter worth any small amount of power it takes to provide. I also don't notice any difference in how much I receive with the added CPU usage that may have.

You can loose transmissions by leaving the battery save on ?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
This will only occur if you are holding on a conventional channel. If the unit is scanning or holding on a channel in a trunked system, battery save will have no effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.