RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 7:12 AM

Quick fix -

In the CheckHold funtion there are five lines that need to be commented out or just deleted. Four look like Serial.println(c, HEX); and the last one looks like Serial.println("0");

I used these for debugging to verify I had read a HOLD code from the scanner.

So, it could look like this:

================================================== ===============
int checkHold(void) {
String tempString;
byte c;

Serial.flush();
Serial.println("STS"); // Uniden command to "Get Current Status"
readline();
scannerInput = "";
scannerInput = String(buffer);
testString = scannerInput.substring(0,3);
if (testString== "STS") { // check to see if returned string is formated correctly. starts with STS.
tempString = scannerInput.substring(12,13);
c = tempString.charAt(0);
// Serial.println(c, HEX);
if (c == HOLD1) { // Begin checking to see if scanner is in hold status.
tempString = scannerInput.substring(13,14); // begin checking character by character.
c = tempString.charAt(0); // Yes, this is ugly but it works.
if (c == HOLD2) {
tempString = scannerInput.substring(14,15);
if (c == HOLD3) {
tempString = scannerInput.substring(15,16);
if (c == HOLD4) {
// Serial.println("0");
return 0; // Yup, the scanner is holding on some frequency.
}
}
}
}
}
return 1; // Nope, the scanner is scanning frequencies.
}

================================================== ===============

Rich
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2012, 4:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

is anyone selling these? Or are there build plans for a unit? would be great to have a guide from start to finish

Last edited by dimab; 04-11-2012 at 5:09 PM..
Old 04-12-2012, 4:43 PM

Sorry - not at this time.
Old 05-19-2012, 7:28 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidfatkid View Post
After having the parts for two months I finally got off my lazy butt and put it all together. It's ugly as hell, but it works great on the 996T.
Awesome! I've been following this thread for awhile and been looking into doing my own. Can you tell me what LCD are you using? Good job everyone who has been working on this project!
Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 PM

They are standard HD44780 LCDs. The code was tested with 20x4 and 2x16. Most of the Standard HD44780 LCDs are wired the same but you should always check before wiring it up. I've bought LCDs from both Ebay and sparkfun.com

Basic 16x2 Character LCD - White on Black 5V - SparkFun Electronics

Rich
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2012, 12:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I think it needs a 4 line though doesn't it so you can display all the text lines.
Old 05-20-2012, 4:23 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk107 View Post
They are standard HD44780 LCDs. The code was tested with 20x4 and 2x16. Most of the Standard HD44780 LCDs are wired the same but you should always check before wiring it up. I've bought LCDs from both Ebay and sparkfun.com

Basic 16x2 Character LCD - White on Black 5V - SparkFun Electronics

Rich
Good deal; thank you! I just ordered my UNO board and will order the other things within a couple weeks.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:00 PM

Mancow - Here are two links to 20x4 LCD displays. As I wrote before, most LCDs with the HD44780 controller are wired the same, but you should check the datasheet to make sure. I prefer white text on blue.

Standard LCD 20x4 + extras [white on blue] ID: 198 - $17.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
Basic 20x4 Character LCD - Black on Green 5V - SparkFun Electronics
Old 05-24-2012, 7:23 PM

Question Null Modem Adapter

Will this null modem adapter work for the purpose of the project? 9-Pin DB9 M-M Null Modem Adapter with Dual Hex Nuts ~STSI | eBay
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2012, 9:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It should. I ordered a few and they work fine.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:35 PM

Should be. A simple null is pin 2 to pin 3, 3 to 2 and 5 to 5.

Rich
Old 05-25-2012, 12:00 AM

Thumbs up

Thank you both for the quick replies!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:09 PM

Default update

Rich --

Do think you could post an updated Fritzing diagram for your layout consisting of two half size breadboards?

Thank you,
Erik
Old 06-04-2012, 2:06 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

On the RS232 adaptor, I used a 233, has built in resistors, and on the Din9 I just switched the 2 and 3 pin around
So you can use a RS233 instead of having to buy a RS232 or build that part and it one chip that's it with wiring on a small breadboard when I get time ill take pictures of how I did mine.
Old 06-25-2012, 7:34 PM

Thumbs up nice!

Finally got mine built up. I put in a couple of RS232 to Bluetooth converter adapters on both the scanner and on the serial TTL. I must say, it works pretty damn good. Power is supplied via USB on both the Arduino and bluetooth converter on the "remote head" side. I'm looking into a RIGrunner 4004U with USB for the rear trunk where the scanner (a BCT15 for now) will sit. Exploring different options for the enclosure part and waiting on a 20x4 LCD to show up so I can see how much room I'll have in my current enclosure. Need to get some better buttons so I can mount them up on the outside. Good work everyone!

Last edited by praxidike; 06-25-2012 at 7:49 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2013, 10:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

any updates or new progress here? I'd like to see what others have come up with. And still hoping I can buy one OR get a noob 'how-to'.

Last edited by dimab; 07-17-2013 at 10:56 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 11:28 AM

Nothing has changed, I built two of them (one 2 line and one 4 line displays) and have zero problems with them. Use them all day long at work and have taken a beating on some days. Other then that it is a straight forward thing to build and quite easy. You can always ask questions here as I did when i built mine.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Homebrew Remotehead for DMA Uniden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
Nothing has changed, I built two of them (one 2 line and one 4 line displays) and have zero problems with them. Use them all day long at work and have taken a beating on some days. Other then that it is a straight forward thing to build and quite easy. You can always ask questions here as I did when i built mine.
I have zero experience in electrical work so this is daunting to take on. I'll take any pointers for where to start. I'm fine writing code. I don't get what parts to order and how to read board schematics. No issues soldering.
Old 07-19-2013, 4:36 AM

Default Re: Homebrew Remotehead for DMA Uniden

I got mine built but have yet to put it to use when I'm in the car.. it works great. I had no experience doing this kind of thing but now it comes easy.. very hands on too :thumbup: Can anyone recommend an enclosure for a 20x4 LCD?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-01-2013, 6:48 PM

I have been trying to get this build to work for several weeks and have been unsuccessful. I have tried the following:

I have connected everything exactly as Richk107 posted on 6-7-2011 using the digital pins for the buttons. I have also tried using the analog pins for the buttons as posted on 6-13-2011.

I am using HomebrewRemoteforUniden_v2. The display shows the startup screen. I have also tried using the UnidenLCDSerialTest as well with no success, the LCD just shows line 1 test and line 2 test.

I have tried using different baud rates to connect to the scanner and made sure the program and scanner's rates were the same.

I have tried using a BCT15, BC346xt and a BCT8.

I have tried three different rs232-to-ttl adapters.

I have tested the pins on the null modem and there is continuity between pins 2 to 3, pins 3 to 2 and pins 5 to 5.

I have resoldered all of the connections.

I have tried reversing the tx and rx pins.

I have tried with and without the null modem.

I have narrowed down that the problem seems to be somewhere with the communications from the scanner into the arduino.

I am getting 0 volts when I test pin 2 coming for the back of the scanner.
I am getting -5.62 volts when I test pin 3 coming from the back of the scanner.

I am getting 5 volts from the TX pin off the adapter.
I am getting 5 volts from the RX pin off the adapter.

So it appears that data is coming out of the back of the scanner and through the rs232-to-ttl adapter.
I believe the failure is somewhere between the rs232-to-ttl and the arduino processor.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions of things to test or try I am open to any ideas. My next step will probably be to purchase another arduino uno to determine if there is possibly something wrong with digital pin 0 on my board. Does anyone know if there is a way to test this pin?

Below is a picture of my project.

Thank you for any help. I think this a great idea and can't wait to get mine to work.