Uniden Home Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan324

I have a Uniden Home Patrol, it is located in my basement and i feel like I am missing some of the transmissions. I am in Harford County, MD. I am considering buying an outdoor antenna. I want one that will help me to pick up ALL the transmissions in this area. I don't know anything about the scanners or accessories. I bought it pressed a couple of buttons played with it a little and started streaming on here. If I don't need an antenna, ok but, I want to provide the most accurate feed I can. Please any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

r_eugene1

dan324..You may want to check out scannermaster. They have scanner antennas of all kinds and price ranges along with mounts for home and car. I have dealt with the before and have gotten good products.

Base Antennas

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
I'm a bit concerned that you know little about scanners, you own only 1 scanner, and you want to provide an audio feed with it. You should not use your only scanner for an audio feed in my opinion. Audio feeds are not supposed to carry 'every channel you can receive' but select frequencies and talkgroups which meet the RR feed requirements and terms of service.

Limiting your HP-1 to only those channels which meet the feed provider terms will be both difficult to set up and severely limiting to you, personally. Your $500+ scanner will be basically doing only what a cheap 4 channel crystal scanner from the 80's would do. You won't be able to meet the T.O.S. with 'everything' enabled nor should you try.

In my opinion, you'd be better off to get a cheap refurbished scanner to provide your audio feed (and obtain the download privileges which come with it) and then use the HP-1 for your personal use. It seems like you're working against yourself here.

As for an antenna, you can likely do it relatively cheaply and provide signal to multiple scanners by using a broad-band discone antenna on the roof and TV splitters, RG-6QS wire and adapters from F to BNC or SMA as required. I think I spent about $150 for everything to provide good solid signals to 3 scanners using this method.

This whole idea of dedicating an HP-1 to be a feed provider just bothers me... Why? There are many cheaper alternatives which will allow the HP-1 to be used for what it was designed for... Listening to 'everything' - something you cannot do on an audio feed you're providing.

Last edited:

rwier

That HP-1 is gonna get neurotic stuck in that basement, it will cry out to be freed to roam.

dan324

Ok, @ ST-Bob I already bought the scanner and have had the feed up for several months. I only want to listen to the local stuff around me. I use the feed on my Droid wherever I go, this is what I enjoy. I can appreciate your love for the hobby. I decided to go with the Home Patrol because I have no knowledge of scanners and the fact that it was an open the box and stream deal. The fact that I have no knowledge of the hobby should not be frowned upon it should be coddled and taken under someone's wing to educate. I run two companies and have very limited time to mess with it at home, with paperwork and two kids it's a bit much.

@rwier I visit it frequently in the basement while I do my paperwork and work on my computer, so he is well no worries. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.