RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 1:33 PM
ScanNewEngland Webmaster
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I find the amount of griping about this upgrade to be beyond amusing. The practice of major radio manufacturers has been, and still for the most part is, to incorporate updated features such as these into the next model. You the consumer see these updates, take interest in them, and decide to purchase the new radio at the full price, which of course means you're either plunking down $500 of your hard earned cash or selling other radios to generate the funds to do so.

Now, along comes a company that is offering upgrades that would normally be relegated to the next model. You can add these upgrades to your existing radio for short money if you wish to. You don't have to if you don't wish to. And the amount of *****ing and moaning about this breakthrough in the method of providing new features is as much as I have ever seen in any thread here.

I paid my $49 for them. I would have paid $100 for them. I'm greatly looking forward to adding these features into my already existing purchase. Your mileage may vary.
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2011, 2:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well said scancapecod. They act as if Uniden is a non-profit organization that should be dropping updates out the back of a flat bed truck.
Old 08-05-2011, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFD169 View Post
Well said scancapecod. They act as if Uniden is a non-profit organization that should be dropping updates out the back of a flat bed truck.
So you think it's fair that someone who buys the HP-1 a week after the upgrade comes out pays double for the same upgrade. I wonder why this country is in trouble. I'll hold back what I'm thinking right now.

Old 08-05-2011, 2:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpockets View Post
So you think it's fair that someone who buys the HP-1 a week after the upgrade comes out pays double for the same upgrade. I wonder why this country is in trouble. I'll hold back what I'm thinking right now.

The upgrade is $100. That is the stated price. No one will be paying double.

What's actually happening is that early adopters will be paying HALF the stated price.
Old 08-05-2011, 2:35 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
So you think it's fair that someone who buys the HP-1 a week after the upgrade comes out pays double for the same upgrade.
Yep. Pre-orders are often cheaper - it helps kick interest up. I've done it with Windows upgrades, hardware, etc. Works out well!

Quote:
I wonder why this country is in trouble.
Uhhh, what?

Quote:
I'll hold back what I'm thinking right now.
Good idea, because it probably makes no sense.
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2011, 2:37 PM

Comment withdrawn, discussion taken to PM.

Last edited by Chauffeur6; 08-05-2011 at 4:05 PM..
Old 08-05-2011, 2:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I paid for my pre-order today. Still had to take an advance on my allowance for the next 6 months.
Old 08-05-2011, 2:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Yes. It is called a sale. It happens every day. I wanted a new TV. I looked at one on Saturday and it was discounted $200. Went home thought about it; came back to buy it on Sunday only to find the sale had ended. Oh well.

It is called free enterprise. If you don't like it then take your business elsewhere. That is the American way!

I for one appreciate the special promotional price. I do realize that a lot of hard work has gone into this upgrade and I am glad to get it for half off.

By the way, I found the Home Patrol at my local Fry's for 449.99! Would not have bought the scanner if it was not for this upgrade. After a few days of use, I wish I would have bought it a year ago. Way to go Uniden.

Thank you,

Happy Customer

--Chance
Old 08-05-2011, 2:41 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, it's fair that those of us who bought in to the HP1 early on get a discount. As countless others have stated, it's a standard business practice.

So either like it or don't, but stop complaining about it in this thread.
Sponsored links

Old 08-05-2011, 2:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Like I said, is that right, why not one price for anyone who buys the unit, no matter when? What the heck is wrong with you people?

Well, I'll grant you one thing. Pre-order discounts, for some..., are an extraordinarily difficult concept to grasp.
Old 08-05-2011, 2:56 PM

Does anyone know is you can get the early sale price if you don't have the scanner yet - I just ordered one yesterday so I don't have ESN number and so on yet - would hate to miss the sale price?
Old 08-05-2011, 2:58 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by joking View Post
Does anyone know is you can get the early sale price if you don't have the scanner yet - I just ordered one yesterday so I don't have ESN number and so on yet - would hate to miss the sale price?
I would imagine (but I can't confirm - only Paul can) that the sale price will be on until just before the upgrade is released. Given what we've been told about the release timing, I would wager unless you are getting it delivered by turtle-on-skateboard, you will get your HP1 (and have its ESN) before the sale ends.
Old 08-05-2011, 3:00 PM

You need the ESN, but I'm betting that unless you ordered shipment by pack mule, you'll get it before the release. The last word was middle of the month or a little later. Upman can give more insight when he's done uploading the latest video today..

On edit...Jay911 LOL -you win the slow race....
Old 08-05-2011, 3:03 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Quote:
All depends who you ordered from but you should be fine. It's not due out till mid-month if all goes as planned.

Edit: Guess I came in third.
---
- Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2011, 3:05 PM

Will hope for the best - it being shipped today via UPS Ground Snail - have the tracking number but it not in UPS system yet to be able to see the delivery date.
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2011, 3:08 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Quote:
Will hope for the best - it being shipped today via UPS Ground Snail - have the tracking number but it not in UPS system yet to be able to see the delivery date.
Check out shipping times here.
http://www.ups.com/maps

---
- Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2011, 3:09 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipster67 View Post
As soon as I saw the news I was able to dump one of mine pretty quick. I had always heard bad things about uniden, but charging for updates? I'll be dumping this other one ASAP..... GRE, I'm so sorry I didn't stick by you guys, but you have me back forever!!!
...sigh...
Old 08-05-2011, 3:10 PM

ScannerMaster shipped mine Ground UPS on Thursday, I had it on the next Tuesday and that included setting in the UPS Maumee center Sat, Sun and part of Mon..
Old 08-05-2011, 3:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

Contact the vendor that you purchased it from and see if they can provide an electronic copy of the sales invoice if you haven't already received one. It should have a SERIAL number on it.

If it does give you a SERIAL number, then check here:

Re:HP-1 Extreme Update Pricing? - HomePatrol Discussion Forums
Old 08-05-2011, 3:15 PM

Yeah I thinking 5-6 days - I figure I should have it by end of next week - coming from MD and going to NV - just hope they not to fast on the upgrade ;-)