BC-145xl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medic37766

I have a BC-145xl that I found in my Aunts Garage. It has the proper AC Adapter (AD-140U) and I used a Motorola to BNC Connector from Radio Shack to attach a Radio Shack Indoor Telescoping Scanner Antenna. The unit powers up as expected, programs correctly, reviews channels correctly, and scans normally. Squealch breaks as expected with the knob and volume from the speaker is normal static with Squelch Open. However I cannot get the scanner to receive any Transmissions. I have my Home Patrol scanner setting across the room from it and it is hitting every transmission but the BC-145 is not picking up anything.

Even with the squealch open and locked on a frequency it is not picking anything up.

Any ideas on a fix...or just junk it?

The only thing I can see that could be a problem is some corrosion on the inside of the motorola plug where the antenna goes in. Could this be keeping it from receiving?

ve1sef

This may sound odd but measure the motorola end of the connector and then the depth of the motorola socket on the 145. I recall my mother had 145, years ago and the motorola end on the RS connecter was just short enough not to make contact on her scanner. Therefore wouldn't receive anything.
Assuming the internal circuits are working you should be picking up somthing. According to the database
everyone in you county are using conventional frequenices.

Medic37766

I actually took the scanner apart just now and verified that the MOT adapter is a good tight fit and the length seems fine.

Thanks for your suggestion though. I thought for sure that would have been it.

Status
Not open for further replies.