RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 2:40 PM

[QUOTE=bear780ks;1894944....this seams to be a Nice alternative from using an External Speaker...[/QUOTE]
Sure is, I do it all the time with the 396!!!
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2013, 3:01 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Yee Ha.! How Ya like the 396 is it a Goodie! I seen one at a Local RS and it's really Small in size but it look like it could pack a Punch! b
Old 01-15-2013, 4:46 PM

I really like my 396. It's the XT. Previous to that one my PSR600 was the best on P25 digital over the 996T but then the 396XT is just as good as the GRE. It has a lot of nice features too.
Old 01-15-2013, 5:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Hey that's Cool is the Weather up there in your Area on the Chilly side) Down here in KS it in the lower 40's but the Rest of the Week were supposed to hit 50's to 60's not To Bad the Rest of the Week! As for snow barely a Dusting but we've had a few Cold Days.!!
Old 05-11-2013, 8:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Does anyone know if this problem has since been addressed by a firmware update?

I sold my HP-1 because I tend to listen late at night in a quiet room, and the clicking noise when scanning P25 was pretty annoying. I'd like to repurchase, if the problem has been addressed (or improved).
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2013, 9:11 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Nope - it's in the hardware I think. The audio amplifier has two inputs - one from the discriminator and another from the P-25 decoder chip. Switching between them apparently causes the click.

Using the line-out, though, eliminates the click so I suspect it's a hardware design limitation, not a software or DSP issue. But not being a Uniden engineer, I can't say for sure - I just know it has not been fixed.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 AM

I own two HP-1 scanners, each of them bought from different online stores. I have never heard that clicking noise on either radio. I use my scanners with headphones, the internal speaker, PC audio amplifier + speakers, and through my vehicle audio system. For the record, I live in a large, very populated area with many systems to monitor, so it isn't matter of having limited listening choices. Either there is something in your area/environment causing that noise, or the radio is defective. It might have been a production issue with some components. Order another HP-1 from a store that offers easy returns. If the problem is still occurring, you will have the option of returning the scanner.
Old 05-12-2013, 4:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Home Patrol extrenal speaker?

I am using a Uniden BC23A External Speaking in a home environment and I love it! Because this is designed to be a mobile speaker, I purchased a 12VDC adapter and wired it to the speaker. You can adjust the volume quite high (louder than I can stand) and the auto-off feature means you never have to mess with it - as soon as the HP-1 receives a signal, the speaker fires up. There is no buzzing or popping during transmissions. It is much better than the built-in speaker and I believe it would work well in a mobile environment. I highly recommend the BC23A.
Old 06-16-2013, 8:26 AM

Can someone clarify - on the HP-1 is the speaker output jack stereo or mono?
Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2013, 8:31 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Look at the symbol on the jack. It's a pictogram of a pair of headphones, not a speaker. It's a low-powered stereo output designed for earbuds or low-powered headphones, not an external speaker.

Using an external speaker, you'd want to use a stereo jack but only connect the tip and shield, not the ring terminal. Then amplify this signal to drive a speaker. You may need a ground-loop isolator between the HP-1 and the amplifier depending on how you power the amplifier and HP-1. The negative audio output is NOT at chassis ground potential...
Old 06-16-2013, 11:36 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exclamation

yes that's how I get the PRO 106 for use for an outside speaker...