Home Patrol extrenal speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone hooked up a Home Patrol external speaker ,if so what kind is it?Is it loud and do you get any buzzing,etc?

QwKiE

In my car I use a radio shack 21-130 amplified, you do need to use an amplified speaker also, you need the adpter for the stero mono so it will work thats a radio shack peace to. Couple of bucks and it is real loud if you want it to be.

Fixed! Thanks.

In my car I use a radio shack 21-130 amplified, you do need to use an amplified speaker also, you need the adpter for the stero mono so it will work thats a radio shack peace to. Couple of bucks and it is real loud if you want it to be.

Correct! You need a stereo to mono adapter,that fixes the buzz!Thank you a million!
I figured it was coming out both speakers,so I didnt need anything.Not the case here with home patrol.
So now I am going adapter to stereo mini to stereo RCA and back into the stereo now.

You have the wrong connector ,If you hear nothing but crackling,if it does this on your home patrol through its speaker,If say you have an issue with the unit but out the scanner,no way.Get the Stereo to mono adapter and try it.(saw your winamp audio clip)I had little to no audio with a stereo plug,when I played with the wires did have the same clicking and popping replicated .So get a nice adapter and plug it in and then the amplified speaker or stereo earphone jack to RCA wire then to the computer.If that doesnt work,resolder the jack inside the scanner.Make sure AGC is ON in the home patrol audio settings.

sadly,since getting the home patrol upgrade and hooking it to my stereo I havent touched the 996XT =.boohoo.

Last edited:

rfaricy

You have the wrong connector ,If you hear nothing but crackling,if it does this on your home patrol through its speaker,If say you have an issue with the unit but out the scanner,no way.Get the Stereo to mono adapter and try it.(saw your winamp audio clip)I had little to no audio with a stereo plug,when I played with the wires did have the same clicking and popping replicated .So get a nice adapter and plug it in and then the amplified speaker or stereo earphone jack to RCA wire then to the computer.If that doesnt work,resolder the jack inside the scanner.Make sure AGC is ON in the home patrol audio settings.

sadly,since getting the home patrol upgrade and hooking it to my stereo I havent touched the 996XT =.boohoo.

magic, I've been scanning for 16 years and an amateur operator for 14. It's not me, nor the adapter, so don't tell me what it is and isn't. :) This crackling issue has absolutely nothing to do with the adapter. The stereo to mono adapter simply pipes BOTH sides of the stereo channel into the speaker so the external speaker's output is louder - it does not solve any crackling. The crackling is generated by the HP itself, internally, and the adapter makes no difference.

I definitely have the correct adapter. Same part number that's been posted all over here and the HP forums. It is a male stereo to female mono adapter. It is NOT crackling constantly - only when it switches P25 sites. If I hold on a channel, the crackling goes away because it's not scanning between sites. You may not encounter this issue if you're not listening to P25. I am listening to P25 only, and we have hundreds of simulcast sites.

This is NOT "just me" as MANY others have reported the same issue. You can even hear it when there is no external speaker connected (try it), but it is barely audible - you'll hear the same thing if you listen to the built-in speaker carefully when scanning P25 sites.

The radio should not unmute until it lands on a channel (the 396 and 996 mutes until landing, the HP doesn't). I've already reported this to Uniden, but haven't heard anything back.

Last edited:

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
The HomePatrol has done this from the beginning. Apparently there's a click occurring whenever the circuit switches from the discriminator output (analog) to the DSP circuit (digital) when going to or from P-25 systems. Looks to be an inherent design problem to me but could be DSP code which sets a different idle voltage point between the two sources.

rfaricy

The HomePatrol has done this from the beginning. Apparently there's a click occurring whenever the circuit switches from the discriminator output (analog) to the DSP circuit (digital) when going to or from P-25 systems. Looks to be an inherent design problem to me but could be DSP code which sets a different idle voltage point between the two sources.

It happens even when switching between P25 and P25 for me - every time a site changes, I get the click. Hopefully it can be resolved with firmware (I would think they can control audio output from it so I'm not too worried it can be resolved with an update).

magic, I've been scanning for 16 years and an amateur operator for 14. It's not me, nor the adapter, so don't tell me what it is and isn't. :) This crackling issue has absolutely nothing to do with the adapter. The stereo to mono adapter simply pipes BOTH sides of the stereo channel into the speaker so the external speaker's output is louder - it does not solve any crackling. The crackling is generated by the HP itself, internally, and the adapter makes no difference.

I definitely have the correct adapter. Same part number that's been posted all over here and the HP forums. It is a male stereo to female mono adapter. It is NOT crackling constantly - only when it switches P25 sites. If I hold on a channel, the crackling goes away because it's not scanning between sites. You may not encounter this issue if you're not listening to P25. I am listening to P25 only, and we have hundreds of simulcast sites.

This is NOT "just me" as MANY others have reported the same issue. You can even hear it when there is no external speaker connected (try it), but it is barely audible - you'll hear the same thing if you listen to the built-in speaker carefully when scanning P25 sites.

The radio should not unmute until it lands on a channel (the 396 and 996 mutes until landing, the HP doesn't). I've already reported this to Uniden, but haven't heard anything back.

Do you have it connected to an external antenna?I have two antennas here,one is for HAM radios.
One is for the scanners,I have a TV splitter connected to the scanner antenna and all sorts of CRUMMY
outlets in my house.Take that into account...
I had to take all the grounds off my equipment's power strips to get this here scanner to play clearly.
I had to get the correct stereo to mono plug.
The Home Patrol has a strange ground issue in it.all I say is PLAY AROUND WITH GROUNDs.
I almost sold this radio and now its working great.I wanted an external speaker.
I dont care if yer a ham or not or the biggest genius in the world all I say is try a few things.
Maybe a ground loop isolator would be a better solution for you.
Try it,you can always return it to radio shack!
I had mine doing the same XXXX a week ago ,I have been banging my head against the wall wondering why the $500 wonder wouldnt allow me to connect a speaker to it.
1.it needs an amplified speaker.
2it needs the right connector.
3.If theres a ground loop it takes a dump.
Go from there.

rfaricy

Do you have it connected to an external antenna?I have two antennas here,one is for HAM radios.
One is for the scanners,I have a TV splitter connected to the scanner antenna and all sorts of CRUMMY
outlets in my house.Take that into account...
I had to take all the grounds off my equipment's power strips to get this here scanner to play clearly.
I had to get the correct stereo to mono plug.
The Home Patrol has a strange ground issue in it.all I say is PLAY AROUND WITH GROUNDs.
I almost sold this radio and now its working great.I wanted an external speaker.
I dont care if yer a ham or not or the biggest genius in the world all I say is try a few things.
Maybe a ground loop isolator would be a better solution for you.
Try it,you can always return it to radio shack!
I had mine doing the same XXXX a week ago ,I have been banging my head against the wall wondering why the $500 wonder wouldnt allow me to connect a speaker to it.
1.it needs an amplified speaker.
2it needs the right connector.
3.If theres a ground loop it takes a dump.
Go from there.

magic, you've missed my point yet again. This is NOT a ground loop problem. It does it even with NO antenna connected, no power connected, running only on batteries. This isn't a "60hz" hum, it isn't DC noise, it isn't a poor antenna connection, it isn't anything that you seem to think it is, and I guarantee it 10000000%.

Read carefully, because this is the last time I'm going to post it. The "click" or crackling happens ONLY and EXACTLY when the HP switches P25 sites, or switches from analog to digital mode, or switches from digital to analog mode. This is nothing external, it is not interference, it is an internal software/firmware or hardware issue. And unless they've fixed it since my batch, or it was a problem in my particular batch of HPs, EVERYONE has the same issue. My friend's has the same issue.

And to answer your bulleted list:
1) I'm using an amplified speaker, as I've already stated
2) I'm using the correct connector, as I've already stated
3) There's no ground loop

I wouldn't be complaining to the forum if I hadn't tried everything.

Again, this issue is internal only - there is no external influence. I can even hear the INTERNAL HP speaker click quietly when it switches P25 sites, or between analog/digital. Stop telling me it's something else, because it isn't, and I guarantee it.

Last edited:
Well-

I guess for whatever reason then that mine is not doing anything like that now is a fluke then and sorry for missing your point.
I did notice something turns on and off (perhaps the amp inside) and thats what you are hearing.This can run on batteries and
uniden was probably trying to save battery power with the design.That my friend you arent going to fix,unless you re-engineer it.

Last edited:

QwKiE

My speaker is mounted in the back behind my council I get no noise none what so ever. My sound is crystal clear and as loud as I want it.

rwier

I can confirm all of the above except 21-130, that may be what I have, not sure, the rest I ditto. I have the speaker mounted on the door post near my left ear. I think full volume might "knock me out", lol.

N8IYR

This is a problem and Uniden needs to look in to it

magic, you've missed my point yet again. This is NOT a ground loop problem. It does it even with NO antenna connected, no power connected, running only on batteries. This isn't a "60hz" hum, it isn't DC noise, it isn't a poor antenna connection, it isn't anything that you seem to think it is, and I guarantee it 10000000%.

Read carefully, because this is the last time I'm going to post it. The "click" or crackling happens ONLY and EXACTLY when the HP switches P25 sites, or switches from analog to digital mode, or switches from digital to analog mode. This is nothing external, it is not interference, it is an internal software/firmware or hardware issue. And unless they've fixed it since my batch, or it was a problem in my particular batch of HPs, EVERYONE has the same issue. My friend's has the same issue.

And to answer your bulleted list:
1) I'm using an amplified speaker, as I've already stated
2) I'm using the correct connector, as I've already stated
3) There's no ground loop

I wouldn't be complaining to the forum if I hadn't tried everything.

Again, this issue is internal only - there is no external influence. I can even hear the INTERNAL HP speaker click quietly when it switches P25 sites, or between analog/digital. Stop telling me it's something else, because it isn't, and I guarantee it.

I live in Michigan and most of the State now is P25 APCO "MPSCS System. When ever the HP1 starts scanning the APCO groups it clicks. Very low with built in speaker, loader with RS Speaker, and very load with a Motorola speaker or using the AUX input on the car stereo.

You are not nuts and while I appreciate everyone trying to help me back when I was posting this issue, unless you live in an area running this system, you will not understand what we are saying.

I noticed that the clicking is in line with the signal meter. When scanning the APCO System, you will see the signal meter moving around, probably the control channels, but what ever it is, it happens and it clicks as the meter jumps around. As soon as it gets back to the analog scan its gone. It also doesn't click when someone is talking on the APCO system, only when scanning,

Ground loops and all the other suggestions, while good ones, would show up all the time, my HP-1 sits quite unless its scanning APCO, and again, when stopped on a active TG, its clear as a bell, but as soon as it starts scanning again, its back!!

Uniden.....upman....someone, please take not and check this out. its annoying!!

OCO

Squelch gating/internal noise??

I got interested in this - I have noticed the clicks, but it's barely audible on the internal speaker. A few interesting points and more of an issue:
1: The noise is outside the normal audio chain, getting into the audio amp after the volume controls - The attached recording was made with the volume down and muted, fed into a laptop line in from the headphone jack with the AC power unplugged. (zip file w/.mp3)
2: No signal, no noise - taking the antenna off eliminates it. As stated previously the clicks occur as the scanner is switching towers (in this case on the MPSCS system).
3: It's not just a click, it's preceded by white noise - you can see it in the attached .jpg just before the impulses. I assume the click is the squelch gate "shutting" - maybe it's breaking squelch for an instant, sees no audio and shuts down. I'm guessing that the P25 audio is handled through the DSP with separate code than other modulation types.
4: With volume set at 50 %, the click is the same level as when muted and volume at zero.

After I got done capturing the clicks, I put my normal scan list back in and while I was typing this, had the volume turned down, but still being fed into the laptop. That's when I noticed something more concerning - anytime the squelch is broken on non P25 systems, the same white noise is present at a very audible level. I reached over and turned up the volume and as the demodulated audio came up in volume, the white noise was still there in the background. You'd normally dismiss this as "air noise", but if it was, it would go away when the volume was muted. You won't notice it as much on the internal speaker, but fed into an external full bandwidth speaker it's really obvious. This is not part of the demodulated audio, it's some type of system artifact, getting fed into the latter part of the audio chain (after preamp/muting/volume controls).. Anybody else notice this??

Attachments

• HP1 noise.jpg
    HP1 noise.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,801
  • HP1 noise.zip
    129.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

OCO

Got into Radio Shack today and got a couple of 2.5 - 3.5 MM adapters to test the Line Out output and a 3.5 MM stereo-mono to test one other thing on the Headphone out.

1: Line out --2.5 to 3.5 MM stereo-stereo (RS 274-397) works great - none of the white noise artifacts or clicking - tested on two amplified A/C powered speaker systems ....I recommend
2: Line out --2.5 to 3.5 MM stereo-mono (RS 274-381) also worked, but I don't recommend (see below)
3: Headphone jack --3.5 MM stereo-mono (RS 274-368) killed the white noise artifacts and clicking, but again but I don't recommend (see below).

Why won't I use a mono plug in a stereo jack? The left/right channels are connected to the ring and tip connection of the jack, with the base being the common ground. Inserting a mono plug into a stereo jack shorts a channel to ground - you can do it if you want, but I won't.. It's interesting that shorting one of the headphone channels to ground eliminates the noise from that output (loading the amp down doing it?). As far as I can see, using the two outputs as intended (Headphone out for headphones, Line out for driving amped speakers) seems to work best.

Interesting to note also that the Line Out audio doesn't have the clicks and white noise - I agree with Bob P.'s earlier comments about a possible design issue..

Last edited:

bear780ks

I was Reading on the Uniden Site that when using the HomePatrol in a Veicle you can use a Audio Cord to Hook the Scanner to the Cars Audio Jack since it can Amplified from the Cars Radio this seams to be a Nice alternative from using an External Speaker...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.