BC125AT New Scanner Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
attachment.php

In early 2012, Uniden will start shipping its newest scanner, the BC125AT. Touting 500 channels in 10 banks, the BC125AT includes full VHF and UHF coverage (see the frequency chart below), including Air and Military Air channels, as well as full alpha tagging for all channels. PC programmability makes it simple to quickly program up for events such as air shows, auto racing, boat racing, and more.

Close Call® RF Capture including Do-Not-Disturb makes capturing those unknown frequencies a snap. Plus, Uniden has extended the Do-Not-Disturb functionality to include Priority channels, so annoying interruptions from priority or Close Call checks is a thing of the past.

The BC125AT includes all the feature enhancements you've come to expect from Uniden, including Temporary Lockout, CTCSS/DCS decoding, per-channel dropout delay, and complete search features, all in a compact, easy-to-carry chassis. Weather priority and weather alert will also keep you informed as to the latest weather and other hazard as announced by the National Weather Service.

FEATURE Highlights

10 Channel Storage Banks - You can store up to 50 frequencies into each bank for a total of 500 frequencies so you can more easily identify calls.

Close Call RF Capture Technology - you can set the scanner so it detects and provides information about nearby radio transmissions

Close Call Do-Not-Disturb - checks for Close Call activity in between channel reception so active channels are not interrupted.

Close Call Temporary Store - temporarily stores and scans the last 10 Close Call hits in the 'Close Call Hits' system.

PC Programming - you can download information into the scanner and control the scanner via your personal computer.

CTCSS and DCS Squelch Modes - rapid search for CTCSS/DCS tones/codes used during a transmission. You can identify up to 50 CTCSS tones and 104 DCS codes.

Direct Access - lets you directly access any channel.

Lock-Out Function - lets you set your scanner to skip over specified channels or frequencies when scanning or searching.

Temporary Lockout - makes it easy to temporarily lock out any channel or frequency. The lockout is cleared when you turn power off, then back on so you don’t have to remember to unlock the channels later.

Triple-Conversion Circuitry - virtually eliminates any interference from IF (intermediate frequency) images, so you hear only the selected frequency.

Text Tagging - you can name each channel, using up to 16 characters per name.

Service Banks - frequencies are preset in 10 separate Police, Fire/Emergency, Ham, Marine, Railroad, Civil Air, Military Air, CB Radio, FRS/GMRS/MURS, and Racing banks to make it easy to locate specific types of calls and search any or all of these banks.

Priority Scan with Do Not Disturb - lets you program one channel in each bank (10 in all) and then have the scanner check each channel every 2 seconds while it scans the banks so you don’t miss transmissions on those channels. Do-Not Disturb keeps the scanner from interrupting transmissions during receiving.

Priority Plus Scan - you can set the scanner so it scans only the priority channels.

Scan/Search Delay/Resume - controls whether the scanner pauses at the end of the transmission to wait for a reply. You can set the Delay time for each Channel, Close Call Search, Custom Search, and Service search. You can also set a negative delay where the scanner stops on transmissions for a set time then automatically resumes.

Custom Search - lets you program up to 10 Custom Search Ranges and search any or all of these ranges.

Quick Search - allows you to enter a frequency and start searching up or down from that frequency.

Turbo Search - increases the search speed from 100 to 300 steps per second automatically for bands with 5 kHz steps.

Search Lockouts - you can lock up to 200 search frequencies: 100 temporary frequencies and 100 permanent frequencies in Custom Search, Service Search, Close Call Search, or Quick Search Modes.

Weather Alert Priority - the scanner scans active WX channels every 5 seconds to check for the presence of a 1050 Hz Weather Alert Tone.

Weather Alert Standby - the scanner allows you to monitor for weather alerts broadcast on NOAA channels.

Display Backlight - You can turn on/off the LCD backlight, set it operate on squelch only, keypress only, or both.

Signal Strength Meter - shows the signal strength for more powerful transmissions.

Flexible Antenna with BNC Connector - provides adequate reception in strong signal areas and is designed to help prevent antenna breakage. Or, you can connect an external antenna for better reception.

Memory Backup - keeps the frequencies stored in memory for an extended time if the scanner loses power.

Two Power Options - let you power the scanner using the included two AA rechargeable or alkaline batteries or the supplied USB cable.

Built-In Charger - allows you to charge Ni-MH batteries in the scanner using a USB port on any computer and the supplied USB cable.

Key Confirmation Tones - You can turn on/off a tone that sounds when you perform an operation correctly or if you make an error.

Key Lock - lets you lock the scanner's keys to help prevent accidental changes to the scanner's programming.

Battery Save - works when there is no transmission for 1 minute in Scan Hold Mode and any Search Hold Mode (without Priority Scan). This feature turns off RF power for 1 second and turns on it for 300ms to extend the battery life.

Battery Low Alert - the icon will blink in the display and a tone warns you every 15 seconds when the battery power gets low

Frequency Coverage:
25-54 MHz
108-174 MHz
225-380 MHz
400-512 MHz

Since an FCC Grant has not yet been issued for this scanner, it may not be offered for sale. Nothing in this post should be construed as an offer to sell the product. Any such offering will be contingent on receipt of a FCC Grant.

Attachments

• BC125AT_.jpg
    BC125AT_.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 19,696
Last edited:

milcom_chaser

Coverage Gap....

Paul,

Looks like a nice radio. Don't understand the choice to leave out the top part of the UHF Military Band.

380.00-399.995

I know this is shared with Mil-Trunk systems, yet this top part of the band is still actively used by Military aircraft. Example: 384.550 is an active frequency used by demo teams at airshows like the Raptor F-22, F-16, and F-15.

So, if the radio is being marketed as a airshow, sport event radio, I encourage you to change this limit in the firmware before Uniden releases it in 2012. Would indeed make it more appealing and marketable as an "Air Show radio."

Thanks for all your contributions.

-Lance

W9NES

One Problem No 800Mhz Digital Trunking Coverage,including Motorola systems and GE EDACS.If this had full coverage including the Digital trunking coverage I would consider buying one .Paul are you going to relaease a Handheld to replace to current 396XT and the Uniden Home Patrol? Would like to hear what you have to say about this.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Tim -- So would a lot of other people. However, this thread is about a product I can talk about. Uniden does not talk about product that is not approved to be talked about (that includes both products in development and products that might never be developed).

Lance -- Without going into details I can't go into...there was a basic trade-off that required sacrificing that segment in order to achieve our other cost/feature targets.

milcom_chaser

Tim -- So would a lot of other people. However, this thread is about a product I can talk about. Uniden does not talk about product that is not approved to be talked about (that includes both products in development and products that might never be developed).

Lance -- Without going into details I can't go into...there was a basic trade-off that required sacrificing that segment in order to achieve our other cost/feature targets.

Paul, I appreciate your response. Just a bummer someone made that choice. I know a lot of Airshow/Milcom enthusiasts would love this radio, I included. So, I will stick to the 396XT for now.

Thanks again.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It will have IC approvals, so I would expect it to be available in Canada.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Heck, I am gonna add one to the collection just to have around as an
aviation receiver. :cool:

One question: What are "Banks"? :lol: Is that like WellsWachoviaFargo where
my balance is low because all my money goes to my dog and to my radio hobby? :D

Marshall KE4ZNR

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Paul, I appreciate your response. Just a bummer someone made that choice. I know a lot of Airshow/Milcom enthusiasts would love this radio, I included. So, I will stick to the 396XT for now.

Thanks again.

No worries, It will probably be part of the BC125AT Extreme Upgrade shortly after release :D

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. No innovations. Just a rehash of whats currently on the market. I understand the needs of having an entry level, mid level, and high end scanner. But seriously, what truly does this unit offer that the other scanners don't?

Why market a device to fulfill a specific market, and then skimp on it's coverage to save costs? If it's targeted for a more specific market, then there is no need to skimp on it's intended coverage. Perhaps besides the close call features, all the other features is ancient technology found on 20+ year old scanners.

Then again, perhaps I am merely ignorant, or am not understanding the product. Nevertheless, it is a nice looking radio, and probably feels great in the hand. I just hope the radio is tuned and extra sensitive to receiving the marketed bands.

With all that said and done, go create an innovated HP-1 style radio in an HT form factor, and or create a unit with SSB technology for listening to HF related transmissions. But obviously there isn't a large enough market share to warrant such a radio, besides the few offered currently.

-Rylak

scanningisfun

My guess, Analog Trunking

-Rylak

I do not believe this scanner supports any form of trunking. I do believe the 300 step search speed on 5 kHz is faster than the BCD396XT on 5 kHz. I wonder how much they are going to price it at.

scanningisfun

W9NES said:
Paul are you going to relaease a Handheld to replace to current 396XT and the Uniden Home Patrol? Would like to hear what you have to say about this.
(that includes both products in development and products that might never be developed).

Do not make him mad! That will decrease our chances of ever getting another digital scanner. ;)

Highpockets

I do not believe this scanner supports any form of trunking. I do believe the 300 step search speed on 5 kHz is faster than the BCD396XT on 5 kHz. I wonder how much they are going to price it at.

Well, their other racing scanner the SC230 now sells for about $179.00 give or take a few. So, is it more or less?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Air Tracker :p

I guess if it was ATC it would be a controller, so just air traffic.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Priority Scan with Do Not Disturb - Do-Not Disturb keeps the scanner from interrupting transmissions during receiving.

Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of having priority channels/having priority enabled in the first place? Maybe I'm missing something, but if the scanner is locked up on a non-priority channel, and DND prevents it from interrupting to check the priority channels, then it's the exact same behavior as having priority disabled. What am I missing? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.