RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 6:02 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Bearcat 101

I have a Bearcat 101 that my wife gave me for a wedding present 35 years ago. I think it was the first synthasyzed scanner on the market. Does anyone know someone who might be able to repair it?
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2011, 8:41 PM
Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

What's wrong with it?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2011, 7:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

First of all what is wrong with it? You might be able to have a authorized Uniden repairer look at it.

Last edited by Rt169Radio; 11-19-2011 at 7:38 AM..
Old 11-19-2011, 8:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemansailorjim View Post
I have a Bearcat 101 that my wife gave me for a wedding present 35 years ago. I think it was the first synthasyzed scanner on the market. Does anyone know someone who might be able to repair it?
I've seen a lot of those over the past year or three that have bad memory chips in them. I saw a post at one time where a guy found a different memory chip that worked but it was quite a hack as it used an entirely different type of refresh signal to retain the memory contents from what I recall. I tried a few years back to find the memory chips that guy had used and those were no longer available just like the originals that Electra used in the 101's.
I know some still have working 101's but I think that many have failed. Especially the ones that were powered up 24x7 for years on end.
Every single one I worked on had the failed memory chips.
Maybe someone else has found a substitute chip that will work but I have not searched for it in a long time. I seriously doubt a pin for pin replacement will ever be found.
The old RadioShack Pro-2001 scanners also suffered from the same failure but they used a different chip. I was able to find a few spares at one time from a guy overseas that working in the 2001.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2011, 8:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rt169Radio View Post
First of all what is wrong with it? You might be able to have a authorized Uniden repairer look at it.
Uniden will not work on the old Electra stuff. They do not have parts.
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2011, 8:44 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You can pick up a working one on eBay for around 10 bucks.... or less. Repairing the one you have would cost a service charge of at least $50.... and possibly much more depeneding on what is wrong.
Old 11-19-2011, 9:02 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You can try G&G Electronics in New York.He also has parts for Bearcat and other scanners.He also does repair.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:56 AM

Your 101 may have a simple issue like mine has had.

If not frequently used, the Scan/Manual, Ready/Enter, and 16 channel switch contacts become oxidized. I quickly and repeatly throw the Ready/Enter and 16 channel switches to correct the loss of connection.

The Scan/Manual switch contacts (see pic) may be oxidized. I've corrected this condition by opening the scanner then using a pencil eraser to gently and carefully clean the pin contacts. The round metal contact on the plastic paddle should also be cleaned.

The 101 was my first synthesized scanner. I built a DC/AC inverter so I could use it in my 1975 Monte Carlo. It fit perfectly under the driver seat. The audio was nice and loud from its internal speaker.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2011, 12:51 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for your post Squad 10.This is a great idea to try on the Bearcat 101 if users have problems with the unit.
Old 11-19-2011, 8:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9NES View Post
You can try G&G Electronics in New York.He also has parts for Bearcat and other scanners.He also does repair.
He does not repair 101's lack of parts.
G & G Communications
Old 11-22-2011, 9:12 AM

I had one with a special add on and it worked and I wish I never sold it..
Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlamb View Post
You can pick up a working one on eBay for around 10 bucks.... or less. Repairing the one you have would cost a service charge of at least $50.... and possibly much more depeneding on what is wrong.
Since it was a wedding gift from his wife it is probably worth more then a $10 replacment

SkyWarn
ARES
Old 12-27-2011, 8:57 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sorry for such a delay in posting again and THANKS for all the suggestions. The problem I have is that the unit does not recognize channel 3. It skips right past that channel like it does not exits. I have cleaned the contacts and checked for a loose connedtion. I even picked up another used unit and it has the same problem but on channel 14. I do have the schematic for it so I may see if a friend can take a look at it.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemansailorjim View Post
Sorry for such a delay in posting again and THANKS for all the suggestions. The problem I have is that the unit does not recognize channel 3. It skips right past that channel like it does not exits. I have cleaned the contacts and checked for a loose connedtion. I even picked up another used unit and it has the same problem but on channel 14. I do have the schematic for it so I may see if a friend can take a look at it.
Sounds exactly like a problem that I ran into with my 101, but it was #13 that it skipped on mine. After some testing, I discovered that the #13 LED was no good. After replacing the LED, channel 13 now works. I'm assuming that the LED has to be conducting in circuit in order for the logic circuit to recognize it. I am curious though... I have two issues with my 101. First issue is a bit of a hum that is only prominent on VHF HI frequencies and especially on UHF frequencies. LO band audio is not effected by this. Secondly, does anyone know of a friend of a friend of someone who might actually have a full Electra factory service manual collecting dust somewhere to help a guy out? I've searched and searched with no luck other than "SAMS SD-10" and mods.dk. The info helps, but falls short of a BC-101 bible such as the one available for the Bearcat III. Sorry for the long post!

Tags
bearcat 101