HP 1 Audio Boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

strange_bru

Any remedies (without voiding the warranty) to increase the audio output of the HP 1 To an external speaker? It just doesen't have any OOMPH! God forbid if you breathe deeply and even the Internal Volume is Maxed Out you will surely miss something! - Do I need an amplified speaker ? The ESP 12 Speaker I got from Uniden doesn't do squat - But it is fabulous with the PSR 500 with the BNC to Headphone Jack jumper. I really don't want to run my HP-1 audio through my home entertainment system just to hear it ;)

rwier

.......................................... - Do I need an amplified speaker ? ........................... I really don't want to run my HP-1 audio through my home entertainment system just to hear it ;)

External amplified, yes, in my vehicle (ram hemi, custom exhaust). But indoors, hmnn, that doesn't sound right!

Baskt_Case

I'm using a $15 pair of amplified computer speakers, works great. Actually only using one of the pair. The left channel has the volume and power control, the right channel just plugs into the back of the left.

Last edited:

OCO

External amplified, yes, in my vehicle (ram hemi, custom exhaust). But indoors, hmnn, that doesn't sound right!
I agree with Rob..I just checked using my trusty old Radio Shack sound level meter with the HP1 tuned to a control channel to get a steady sound - it was producing sound at 84 dB, measured at 3 feet, A weighted, slow response. As a comparison, the TV at a comfortable volume is putting out about 62db, measured from my chair at about the same distance feet. (and I spent years in a mainframe computer environment, so my hearing isn't the best). The output from your HP1 may be abnormally low.. Note that any speaker you use should have a stereo plug and if you use an AC powered speaker, you'll probably get ground loop hum/buzz without an isolation transformer (I use the line output with an AC powered amplified speaker without the hum..) Note also that the headphone output impedance is 32 ohms, so a non-amplified 8 ohm extension speaker will not produce a very high volume. Lots of discussion both here and on the Uniden form..:wink:

markab

Yes, It can be done.

Any remedies (without voiding the warranty) to increase the audio output of the HP 1 To an external speaker? It just doesen't have any OOMPH! God forbid if you breathe deeply and even the Internal Volume is Maxed Out you will surely miss something! - Do I need an amplified speaker ? The ESP 12 Speaker I got from Uniden doesn't do squat - But it is fabulous with the PSR 500 with the BNC to Headphone Jack jumper. I really don't want to run my HP-1 audio through my home entertainment system just to hear it ;)

The HP1 has a Line out jack. You can connect this to either a speaker with a intergrated amp that has a line input, or a separate amp with speakers that has either an Aux or Line input.

Regards,
Mark

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Its a shame Uniden can't just put a quality audio amplifiers and speakers in their scanners. Uniden has used absolute junk parts in the audio circuits for all their scanners since the days BC895XLT. It can be accopmlished. I have a Garman novi GPS unit that is much louder than my BCD996XT with nice audio, not this tinty high frequency crap that comes out of Uniden scanners. I've heard cheap CB radios with better audio the the best Uniden scanners. I don't understand it. They make great scanners that sound like a $30.00 FRS radio.

strange_bru

HP-1 Audio Boost

Thank You ALL for your input - I found a small set of Radio Shack folding powered speakers I used with my MP-3 player - they are powered by 3 AA batteries - the sound quality and and adjustable volume work extremely well when plugged into the headphone jack - there is a minor "tick" sound at the end of each transmission which may be attributable to low battery power - we'll see. It also accepts a DC 6V power input and I'm sure a have a number of them packed away somewhere -

Thanks Again.

P.S. the only numbers I can find if you are interested in said speakers are: 40-1441 and a seperate sticker with 09A07 - I'm not sure if either of these are RS catalog or model numbers.

I'm not really sure what is going on with the audio on my HP-1 but over the last month and a half my audio has been getting louder and louder. About once a week I keep having to decrease the volume by one bar. It is now setting right in the middle.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not complaining. When I first got the unit I could barely hear it in my living room with the TV and AC on even with it setting only a couple of feet away from my head. Before you ask, no I haven't moved closer to my county dispatch or changed the direction or location of my outdoor antenna or anything like that. It is still sitting in the same place I originally put it when I first bought it.

OCO

T........... there is a minor "tick" sound at the end of each transmission which may be attributable to low battery power - we'll see. It also accepts a DC 6V power input and I'm sure a have a number of them packed away somewhere ..........

The tick was addressed in the firmware upgrade issued on the 6th....while it may not be gone, it's much reduced. The other cure for it is to get a 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm stereo adapter from RS and use the line out rather than the headphone out.

If you go with a wall wart DC adapter for the speakers and use the headphone out, don't be surprised to hear a ground loop hum.. again, I use the line out and don't have the hum, because the ground side of the jack isn't above ground like it is on the headphone jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.