RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 7:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Talking You never know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanningisfun View Post
..............................................) Also, the Uniden scanners do not suck like you say they do.Jacob
Maybe his do. He could have trained them that way. All my radios work well in a very bad area for "radios not sucking". Radios are like airplanes. Some of them just don't like most pilots.

Rob
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2012, 9:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

can't wait to get this update!
Old 02-15-2012, 9:20 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default A video I took

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kla4...e_gdata_player

I love my 396XT.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 PM

It looks like its stuck on 8 auto make a video of it with the p25 level at 50 like its set to right out of the box that would give a true test of the auto decode.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This is true, but as you can tell this isn't a controlled test. The settings of 8 and 200 are the most optimal settings for me. I am actually quite happy with my 396, if you weren't able to tell by the, "I love my 396XT" comment.

Last edited by 08GMC4X4; 02-15-2012 at 11:09 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2012, 11:08 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That's great. The Morris County system is Mot Type II Mixed mode using C4FM. It sounds good on this system. This is not a Project 25 Phase 1 CQPSK modulation simulcast system where we seem to be having the problems. I have high hopes for the firmware, and I will definitely give my report for the Phoenix RWC system after the release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08GMC4X4 View Post
Old 02-15-2012, 11:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This is also true. I apologize, I was not trying to mislead or deceive anyone.
Old 02-16-2012, 5:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpockets View Post
I've been waiting a long time for the 3 - 4 second delay to be put back, I hope it's included in the update. I hope I'm not disappointed.
Remember that with all of the update hype, there is only one single published fix... improves P25. Well that is going to be left up to the person with the XT to see if this is really an update or not. Like mentioned by MTS2000des and N0WEF, I don't want to be pessimistic, but so far I am. I sure hope that there may be some surprises in there, or this might just be a placebo

Last edited by Dewey; 02-16-2012 at 5:05 AM..
Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 AM

Ya know, CQPSK-LSM format for P25 simulcast systems has been in field use for at least 10 years, so it would be nice to finally have ability to monitor it correctly. I sure hope this update will help!
I have already decided I will not buy a newer scanner until it can properly decode and monitor P25 simulcast. The new models look good but bottom line all they do is provide a different way to enter frequencies and talk groups.
BG..
Old 02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Its not just CQPSK systems that the XT's have problems with. My 996XT will not even reliably work on a simple Midland P25 conventional system that my neighboring county's fire departments have switched to.

It takes too long to start decoding voice and misses the first part of transmissions, it sometimes stops decoding for no apparent reason, and often when a unit talks loudly or too softly it garbles the audio. All of these problems, especially the decode delay, are magnified almost to the point of being unusable when the system is setup as a "one-freq-trunk" system, which is necessary just to decode radio IDs.

Meanwhile my PSR-500 works flawlessly on this system. In fact, the only time I have heard it break up or garble the audio is when a unit is having trouble hitting the repeater (when listening with an analog radio, you can actually hear the repeater briefly switch to analog and make a rapid clicking noise, very similar to a GRE when trying to decode weak digital signals). Even when my 996XT decodes successfully, the audio quality is very poor compared to my PSR-500. It sounds similar to a poor quality MP3 with a very low bit rate.

These problems, combined with several others (e.g., excessively long CTCSS/DCS decode delay, and long priority sample times), almost lead me to get rid of my 996XT; especially considering I bought it for the purpose of using it on this system and decoding radio IDs. However, I'm going to give it a second chance after the new firmware update is released and hope that it will make the radio usable.
Old 02-16-2012, 4:03 PM

08GMC4X4 I thought you were joking that is the same crap my XT does when I force it to stay at 8 auto.Your err rates are in the 30s to 50s at times thats crazy and the choppy audio is what they are trying to fix with the update.But if you are happy with that so be it.
Old 02-16-2012, 4:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I hope the p25 is better but I would give anything for my 996xt not to skip enc p25, I have been trying to log radio ID's on some conventional p25.

The only was is to stare at it untill you see the antenna bars light up and hold on it, then you have to turn to the talk group.
Old 02-16-2012, 4:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbigcount View Post
I hope the p25 is better but I would give anything for my 996xt not to skip enc p25, I have been trying to log radio ID's on some conventional p25.

The only was is to stare at it untill you see the antenna bars light up and hold on it, then you have to turn to the talk group.
What do you mean by conventional P25? Are you using software?
Old 02-16-2012, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbigcount View Post

Let's not go backwards, many here wanted encryption mute, at least you can monitor a department that encrypts the dispatch but not the cars, and have to listen to all that noise.

Why would you want to listen to that?

Old 02-16-2012, 7:25 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery93 View Post
(e.g., excessively long CTCSS/DCS decode delay,.
YES!! another huge complaint i have about uniden scanners. the 396xt, 346xt, and radio shack pro 162 are all scanners ive had in the past that have this issue. if this firmware update contained adjustments for that (like the psr 500 came with) that would be AMAZING!!
Sponsored links

Old 02-16-2012, 7:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
This update is intended to improve reception and decoding of APCO 25 systems
Guys, you are getting WAY ahead of yourselves!!! This isn't a place to post a X-mas wish list, he told you what you're getting.

If he said "Among other things" then I could understand all this hoopla.

Heck, he even said "Intended" not guaranteed.

Edit: He also said "Many" not most, or all p25 systems

Last edited by N0WEF; 02-16-2012 at 8:16 PM..
Old 02-16-2012, 9:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpockets View Post
Let's not go backwards, many here wanted encryption mute, at least you can monitor a department that encrypts the dispatch but not the cars, and have to listen to all that noise.

Why would you want to listen to that?

I am not talking about mute, I am talking about skipping it, when it mutes it I want it not to skip it. I have been using P25 one frequency trunk to figure out Radio id's for some Conv ch's
Old 02-16-2012, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery93 View Post
These problems, combined with several others (e.g., excessively long CTCSS/DCS decode delay, and long priority sample times), almost lead me to get rid of my 996XT; especially considering I bought it for the purpose of using it on this system and decoding radio IDs. However, I'm going to give it a second chance after the new firmware update is released and hope that it will make the radio usable.
Yes I hope there is a fix for the CTCSS/DCS decode and long priority sample times. Both of these features are pretty much useless for me. I had to remove CTCSS/DCS decoding as I was missing transmissions or they were getting cut off.
Old 02-16-2012, 9:53 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast77 View Post
Yes I hope there is a fix for the CTCSS/DCS decode and long priority sample times. Both of these features are pretty much useless for me. I had to remove CTCSS/DCS decoding as I was missing transmissions or they were getting cut off.
You may not be having a CTCSS issues but a incorrect mode setting. I'll use Central Fire. If I listen to central fire dispatch in AUTO or NFM I will get exactly what your describing. I have them set correctly to FM and hear 100% of the transmissions. I just used CF as an example. I have no problems with anything in the three county area using CTCSS as long as you have the radio programmed correctly.

Last edited by wise871; 02-16-2012 at 9:57 PM..
Old 02-16-2012, 10:01 PM

I tried FM and it did help but the problem is still there. It seems like it is taking to long to decode. Which cuts off the transmissions at the begginng of the call. I discovered this when I had my bc95xlt running side by side with the 396xt. I have tried changing all of the settings and it is still there. I finally gave up and removed all the tones. It mainly seems to happen with SRSO.

Last edited by thomast77; 02-16-2012 at 10:04 PM..