RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default HP1 GPS Issues

I have had the HP1 for about a week now and I must say I'm not too impressed with the GPS function. My biggest complaint is when using the GPS (which yes is connected just fine - green light and all at 4800) you lose the ability to adjust your range. The scanner seems to scan way too wide an area that I can see as I watch it scan throught the channels. As well without the GPS and just using my zip code and a range setting of just .5 miles or even 0 it still attempts to pickup channels much too far away. Almost as if the range setting doesn't do anything at all. I travel with this scanner from Newark NJ out to Warren County NJ and I can see as I travel my route the scanner is attempting channels way beyond its reach and that's with the stubby antenna attached. I can't imagine the irrelavent audio I would pickup if I used an external antenna on this thing. It would be nice to put in a 1mile range and pick up just the local channels around me.
Anyone else seeing this type of result?
Sponsored links
Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Range is at zero with GPS, what you see are all the stupid RR entries as to range.

Some states have ranges of several hundred miles - that is the issue.

Do some searches, it's been discussed many times.

If you do the same trip repeatedly - use a favorite and no GPS.

All I find the GPS helpful for is unknown areas that I do no research ahead of time.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:27 PM

You can edit the ranges for towers and agencies, departments, etc in Sentinel. Kind of a pain, but it would allow you to trim it down some.
Old 03-22-2012, 2:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Interesting. I wasn't aware that the Sentinel software was capable of doing that. I'll have to take a closer look.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Captaincraig,

I don't see in the software where it has the option to adjust range for the individual departments or agencies. I see where you can change the range in the profile, but that is no different than selecting range from the main screen.
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Disregard...found it!
Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 8:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincraig44 View Post
You can edit the ranges for towers and agencies, departments, etc in Sentinel. Kind of a pain, but it would allow you to trim it down some.
When I travel, I also limit the services I want to listen to, like police, fire and ems, and uncheck transportation, business, aircraft, etc. I forgot to do this on my last trip and had to keep locking out taxis and towtrucks until I stopped and unchecked businesses. Very risky having to avoid multiple channels at 60 mph!

On one trip, I found myself traveling up the I-95 NE corridor so I left railroads active, (the highway parallels the tracks a good bit) and got some interesting chatter there, when PDs were not real active.

My problem with the GPS is getting it to recognize when I first plug it in. Sometimes it takes two or three tries.

I think you will enjoy the HP-1 more as you get to learn the many extra functions it has. I love mine!
Old 03-27-2012, 4:58 PM

Be careful pluging in the GPS my HP1 was about 3 weeks old and only had the GPS pluged in a handful of times and the GPS plug pulled out.Place where I got it said their warrenty was only 2 weeks so had to go to Uniden. They seem to be kinda of slow for a radio that is only 3 weeks old. so just venting a little.Good Luck with yours.I was loving mine till that happened.