996t Modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickFury

Has anyone did any work on changing the 1.5 capacitor on the BNC antenna lead before? I had to tighten up the nut on the BNC plug, and had to de solder the unit. So I was wondering about replacing the capacitor.

I was trying to figure out why Uniden decided to use a 1.5 capacitor on the input?

Anyone played around with this?

Technology - Antenna Design

I also was curious why Uniden put that black gunk on the main board, to deny access to a bunch of other capacitors/diodes?

Nick

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

The black gunk is most likely meant to prevent an unauthorized person from modifying the circutry to receive things like cell phone bands. The ECPA is still in effect even if there's little to no analog useage left.

jackj

The capacitor is used because of their circuit design. I don't know the reason for sure but it could be to block a DC voltage that would otherwise be on the antenna input. Why worry about it?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Has anyone did any work on changing the 1.5 capacitor on the BNC antenna lead before? I had to tighten up the nut on the BNC plug, and had to de solder the unit. So I was wondering about replacing the capacitor.

I was trying to figure out why Uniden decided to use a 1.5 capacitor on the input?

Anyone played around with this?

Technology - Antenna Design

I also was curious why Uniden put that black gunk on the main board, to deny access to a bunch of other capacitors/diodes?

Nick

Do not try to fix what's not broke. I would leave the cover on that scanner and enjoy it like it was intended! ;)

n9zas

NickFury

Inside the Box

I did have to tighten up the nut on the BNC antenna input. So I did have to take it apart. I did remove the gunk on the board, and am curious why they would bother to stick it there.

I am adding some GMSK board to the radio. I am so used to SDR's that have GMSK, FSK, MSK, and other frequency shifting modulations.

I am enjoying taking the radio apart, and playing with it.

I did get it cheap. Like $150 bucks. It decoded APCO 25 gurgle gurgle gurgle like. I did get a copy of some Butel Software with it.

I am going to add a discriminator tap, and who knows what else.

Now at least the nut is tight.

I am still wondering why a 1.5 capacitor instead of a 1, or a 10, or 15, and why ceramic.

I should get a circuit sheet.

Their Firmware was interesting to decode, and reverse engineer. I'm not impressed, I've had to code stuff for SDR radios.

I wonder who does their coding at Uniden? Someone in India? Or China, or Vietnam, I don't know where they got their programmers. Designed in Japan, means made somewhere else. Or coded somewhere else.

Frequency Range: 25 – 512 MHz, 764- 776 MHz, 794 – 806 MHz, 806 – 956 MHz, 1240 – 1300 MHz

Yes, it appears those covered up diodes and capacitors are affecting the frequency ranges.

I was comparing the firmware for the UBCD996T to the 996T.

Since Uniden does not update firmware, unlike GRE.

I am just busy talking to aliens/ufo's, and having fun on my other Green Radio.

I think you are right maybe about the voltage blocking, but why 1.5?

I am replacing that small cable from the main board to the antenna jack with something more shielded. They are using some cheap wire, and I would like to add some more antenna inputs. Maybe an SMA jack.

I can't enjoy the radio with strange black globs in it, and loose nuts. It's all Uniden's fault for not having someone in China tighten that nut, or use locktite on it.

Uniden needs to hire more nut tighteners at that Chinese Communist Factory.

Attachments

• board1.JPG
    board1.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,010
  • uforadio.jpg
    uforadio.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,590
  • 5Na5F85Hc3I43L63Nbc5q36d0dbf811a810ac.jpg
    5Na5F85Hc3I43L63Nbc5q36d0dbf811a810ac.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,003

Stabu

I surely hope the PRC-117 pictured is not in private possession. That thing is currently fielded technology and scary capable.

jackj

I have to confess, I have no idea what this thread is about. Can anyone clue me in?

NickFury

loose nuts

it's about loose nuts on Uniden radios :p Red Chinese Radio Factories, and UFO's.

I would not post a photo of the units I am using. There are SDR software programs that emulate the Harris PRC-117CF radios, that work much better then lugging one of those units around. You can use much better civilian radio's, that are for HF/VHF/UHF, and use just a computer, and not attract so much attention.

Not that the Chinese don't already have multiple copies of those said radios, and break the encryption on them quite easily. Even in Pakistan/Afghanistan, and where ever they have those radios deployed.

The Chinese seem to be putting the technology they gain from building Pro-197's, Uniden Radio's, and GRE radios to excellent use, and are building better military products then Cubic.

And of course, us buying these radios, made in China, are helping modernize the Chinese Signet abilities. Helping them modernize their Military, and deploy much better technology.

So buy GRE/UNIDEN/RADIO SHACK, and feel proud to support the Red Chinese Communists in their 50 year plan to destroy the United States.

The Chinese use radio equipment buillt in the GRE/UNIDEN/RADIO SHACK factories to mass produce cellular intercept devices, which they use in places like Washington DC to constantly suck up CDMA, GSM, and everything else. Then use it to blackmail, and do other strange things in the Capital, other places.

Yes, I am nuts, but the Communists did it to me. :)

So yes, buy from these companies, and feel good. :)

NickFury

Harris SDR emulator

Something like this is much better :)

I guess the main point was.

Why did the Red Chinese Communists that made the Radio, the 996T, use a 1.5 capacitor on the BNC antenna lead?

because it cost .01 cent. They could have used a 10, or a 7, or a 15, or something else, but they used the cheapest ceramic capacitor.

As for why someone would take it apart, here is another unsatisfied customer of cheap Red Chinese Communist components used in the radio, with the RF input circuit...

Default 996 Schematic?
Does anyone have, or know how to get a schematic for the 996? I'm tired of sending them back to Uniden to have the RF input transistor replaced. When installed in a vehicle with a VHF or UHF radio fr 50W or more, it's only a matter of time before the device fails and you start seeing low sensitivity.

Adding some front end high signal level protection is not that difficult.

Thanks

Bob, WA2SQQ
Join our weekly Scanner net, Wednesdays at 9:00 p.m. on the 441.100/145.230 repeaters.
Visit us at NYDXA ONLINE

So there are valid reasons to be taking this rig apart, and trying to tinker with it. It's got all kinds of sensitivity issues.

You, at least GRE designs some more decent equipment. I don't expect it to be like ICOM, but I expect it to work.

People do like to have circuit diagrams, take it apart, and remove strange gunk on the radio.

I notice nobody got back to him about a circuit diagram.

;/

Attachments

• A-1967-Soviet-propaganda--007.jpg
    A-1967-Soviet-propaganda--007.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 856
  • kilroy.jpg
    kilroy.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 865
  • greenradio22.jpg
    greenradio22.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 783
  • il_430xn42644745.jpg
    il_430xn42644745.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 757
  • sdrradio.gif
    sdrradio.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 687

gewecke

Banned
Nick, I'm sure you're buying the same radios as the rest of us so enjoy just like we do! ;)

n9zas

NickFury

I want

A radio in a pelican case, with SMA connectors coming out of the top that does strange stuff.

What doesn't kill you, just makes you stranger.

Yes, I have a used 996t, and I'm doing some Anti-Communist Voodoo on it.

I'm also thinking of paying a witch doktor, he's from Afrika, and does muti medicine, and claims to be a real cannibal, and have him put some spells on the radio.

I think I'll also put a picture of Mao on the 996T.

The radio looks much better with a Mao photo on it now.

I printed out another MAO photo. I like the MAO psychedelic look. It matches the colored screen.

I feel like a Electronic Communist now.

What do you suppose is hidden in the pelican case?

Attachments

• UnidenMao.jpeg
    UnidenMao.jpeg
    5.9 KB · Views: 678
  • pelicancase.jpg
    pelicancase.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 781
  • maophoto.jpg
    maophoto.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 722

gewecke

Banned
Yep, we've seen that before too. :wink:

n9zas

NickFury

PRC-117 parts

I did get a new battery for the PRC-117 on Ebay.

They cost $425 dollars. They tap my Phone all the time, so the only way we can talk is via HF. Weird encrypted morse messages.

I do check my messages on HF from some weird numbers station. Usually it says, watch out, they are watching you :)

NEW AN/PRC-117 150 PSC-5 SATCOM HF Adapter J-6687/U | eBay

I guess I am the only one that bought a battery on Ebay. I would feel bad borrowing one from someplace.

PRC-174 20W Manpack HF SSB CW AM Military Radio PRC VRC RT-936 TADIRAN | eBay

Military Radio RT-1439/VRC, PRC-119, Early SINCGAR | eBay

I did get one of the PRC-117CF's I use from a bazaar in Afghanistan. They guy sold it for 100 bucks. He had a stack of them. I guess maybe they took them from somewhere.

You can buy anything there. I had to work there for several months on some weird project for some weird company. Do you know the Chinese are building a railroad with coolies in Afghanistan?

China mining giant tapped for Afghan rail project - Yahoo! News

So yes, you can have a PRC-117 if you want one, they are for sale in Afghanistan.

Military Radio RT-1439/VRC, PRC-119, Early SINCGAR | eBay

There are many things for sale.

I miss the days when people used to sell MX missile parts on Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.