RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 10:53 PM

I also think the HP-1 should have a ray gun. Scanner isn't worth anything without some pew-pew capability.
Sponsored links

Old 11-14-2012, 1:01 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Paul,

Does the data slicer work on any other protocols? I am looking to replace a very old paging receiver we use at work to monitor our hospital paging. Spending money on an Agilent Analyzer will be prohibitive ;-)

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2012, 8:39 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It is not protocol dependent. It outputs a digitized waveform of whatever it is receiving (slicing would be up to a PC-based programming).
Old 11-14-2012, 8:56 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hmmm, so technically it does the same job as an external slicer does for me now with a typical discriminator output... I must play with this.

BTW, Paul, thanks for the TOTAL GREAT WASTE of time last night. Got my new HP1 yesterday afternoon, took it home around 6:00pm. Installed the latest database (already came with the 2.03.1 FW) and then the Extreme update (smooth as silk)

Did not go to sleep until 4:00am, thank you very much... I cannot stop playing with all the toys...

And the sample apps, as primitive as they may be are brilliant... BRILLIANT! At least we can play... total waste of time :P My wife hates you now as much as me (I blamed you)

Anyway, I am gonna try and stick my favorite decode program to this and see if it likes the data output. Do I have to do anything special or simply use SERIAL mode and tune to the frequency?

Thanks again!
Old 11-14-2012, 5:42 PM

My version is 2.03 is this the latest? I opened sentinel and chose update firmware, but it says my firmware is up to date, it doesnt download 2.03.1 is there something Im doing wrong?
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2012, 5:55 PM

Version 2.03 is the latest on the Homepatrol 1 unit. 2.02 is the latest in the sentinel.if you show these you are up to date.

Pro-38 - Pro-2006 - Pro-2020 - HomePatrol 1E and a HP 1 Can you hear me now?
Old 11-16-2012, 1:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratzert View Post

At this point, I'd be willing to pay a premium price for a scanner that will work with thise systems.
My scanner listening has dropped to zero because of the poor reception in my area (Kingsville, MD.)
Baltimore City AND COunty are now both switched over to P25 Simulcast. It seems more and more cities are switching to this type of system as well.

Thanks for any info.
The HP-1 does about as good a job as it gets with Simulcast systems. I am in Montgomery Co MD and it comes in fine, except when I am directly below one of the towers near my home.

Your issue with Balto City and County may be because of distance from the closest tower, or inter-mod between two towers. P25 systems use much less transmit power than previous ones, and that creates problems from signal loss. If you are between sites, try turning on "ATT"enuation while locked on a talkgroup and see if that makes it better or worse, by selecting the stronger site and eliminating the weaker one(s).

I didn't have any problems on my last trip through Baltimore with the HP-1 running off my GPS, except that I kept getting cab companies because I inadvertantly had Business selected. I was getting Woodlawn clearly while I was over by Towson and Hunt Valley.

One more thing: try refreshing your RR database and re-selecting the city and county if you are using "favorites".
With the switch to re-banding and the new P25 transmitters, there is a possiblility that this might be part of your problem if your favorites groups are more than 3 months old. (also new talkgroups have been added to the database).

Hope this helps.
JK
Old 11-16-2012, 1:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveharpe View Post
I also think the HP-1 should have a ray gun. Scanner isn't worth anything without some pew-pew capability.
Isn't that the same thing you said when the Extreme version came out? !!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 1:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkahn View Post
The HP-1 does about as good a job as it gets with Simulcast systems. I am in Montgomery Co MD and it comes in fine, except when I am directly below one of the towers near my home.

Your issue with Balto City and County may be because of distance from the closest tower, or inter-mod between two towers. P25 systems use much less transmit power than previous ones, and that creates problems from signal loss. If you are between sites, try turning on "ATT"enuation while locked on a talkgroup and see if that makes it better or worse, by selecting the stronger site and eliminating the weaker one(s).

I didn't have any problems on my last trip through Baltimore with the HP-1 running off my GPS, except that I kept getting cab companies because I inadvertantly had Business selected. I was getting Woodlawn clearly while I was over by Towson and Hunt Valley.

One more thing: try refreshing your RR database and re-selecting the city and county if you are using "favorites".
With the switch to re-banding and the new P25 transmitters, there is a possiblility that this might be part of your problem if your favorites groups are more than 3 months old. (also new talkgroups have been added to the database).

Hope this helps.
JK
Thanks JK.... I'll try some of your suggestions.

Regards.....
Sponsored links

Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Any chance we could get a scan button with the next release? Tapping the channel multiple times is obnoxious and doesn't work on TRS.
Old 11-19-2012, 8:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm still hoping for a default "Use GPS when detected" and a changeable radius that persists thru power cycle. I bought a GPS and hardwired it because I ALWAYS want to use GPS, and have it stay on 10 mile radius. Not so I can confirm it every time the radio powers up.
Old 11-20-2012, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNY10-75 View Post
Any chance we could get a scan button with the next release? Tapping the channel multiple times is obnoxious and doesn't work on TRS.
I would like to second that.
Old 11-20-2012, 4:09 PM

Did this upgrade fix the icall delay issue (i.e. can't delay scan on an icall)?
Old 11-24-2012, 8:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Home Patrol Back Up Micro SDHC Card

What is the best way to create a back up copy of the micro SDHC card ?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:10 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Get Sentinel and make sure you do a download from radio and save the profile. Your favorites list is really all you need. The actual full RR database is updated and downloaded from the Internet regularly so it is really no need to back that portion up ... your hard work is in the favorites lists. And of course any discovery results and/or recordings if you have the extreme option. For those, use Sentinel to download the latest set of files from the card.
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2012, 9:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLAB View Post
What is the best way to create a back up copy of the micro SDHC card ?
If you do a "Read from HomePatrol" in the Sentinel software, all the data are stored on your computer's hard drive (typically in the "My Documents\Uniden\HomePatrol" directory).

Another option you might want to consider is using the backup capabilities available in the ARC PATROL software by Butel. It has the capability to copy/backup Favorites Lists from the HP-1, backup Audio files from the HP-1, and backup the entire card.
Old 11-26-2012, 5:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm wondering how to switch from AFS to DEC in the Home Patrol Extreme Feature Current Activity on an EDACS trunking system. While monitoring this system I have the Decimal values showing. I tried looking in the Easier to Read Manual and came up empty.
Old 11-26-2012, 5:48 PM

Default Maybe try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryshute View Post
I'm wondering how to switch from AFS to DEC in the Home Patrol Extreme Feature Current Activity on an EDACS trunking system. While monitoring this system I have the Decimal values showing. I tried looking in the Easier to Read Manual and came up empty.
Is this feature in the HP1 that would change that setting.
1 Menu
2 Display options
3 Toggle the EDACS TIGD Format from AFS to DEC

Pro-38 - Pro-2006 - Pro-2020 - HomePatrol 1E and a HP 1 Can you hear me now?
Old 11-26-2012, 6:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yes thanks I have set that option and it works fine when scanning the system. Where I'm having trouble is in the Current Activity Extreme Features display. I'm getting AFS values for the talk groups.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I also would Pay extra for a digital scanner that was easy to program and easily let me setup the local freq that i wish to listen too.