RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsphotog View Post
I'd rather have intermittent troubles with simulcast systems than not being able to listen to the system at all.
Not dismissing your comment, and my comment has to do with GRE, not Uniden, but...on some days up here, the simulcast systems are completely unlistenable on a PSR-500.
Old 01-24-2013, 1:51 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I'd much rather see a new mototrbo or even a new ndxn capable scanner.
Old 01-24-2013, 3:08 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninJoliet View Post
My opinion is there are not alot of Phase ll systems as yet...The best thing to do is to perfect the simulcast digital systems out there with what were having the most trouble following , then bring out the new perfected Phase ll which will bring less headaches and critisizm from the buyers.....
You don't understand the nature of government spending. The "best thing" or most logical solution never applies to government.

Why spend money on something that is considered "old" technology for X dollars when you can spend money on "the latest" technology for 13*X the amount! (...and of course, raise state or property taxes on local residents to pay for it all.)

IMHO, Phase II will be adopted much more quickly than Phase I. It may not be "everywhere" but the governments who waited on P25 Phase I are likely moving to P25 Phase II since that is what Motorola is now pushing with their APX line.

Proof is at their web site:

Digital portable radios - Motorola Solutions USA
Old 07-10-2013, 12:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by noaim View Post
There is almost no doubt that a new Iphone is coming soon. We just have nothing official on it. Which is what I assume Uniden does the same thing! We just will never know the date and time until they feel its ready for them to announce it!. If you read the Link from upmans profile he has it listed that the reason Uniden keeps it a secret is to not let the competition know the features they are adding which is the exact same thing that Apple does. It makes sense or another company could push something out the door with the features that Uniden is making. This happened to apple when Microsoft pushed the first windows out the door. Apple actually had a better product but Microsoft got it out sooner and with that they stole the market.

Don't get me wrong I would be willing to bet everyone on this forum wants to know whats coming and when but from a company standpoint it can be dangerous releasing that information!
Just a bit of a correction. Apple was the first major computer company to bring the first mouse-driven, windowed, graphical user interface to the market when they released the first Macintosh around 1984 (remember the famous Superbowl commercial?) Microsoft didn't release Windows until the early 1990's. Apple then sued Microsoft, but were largely unsuccessful. Windows took off, Apple declined sharply until they developed the innovative IPod which led to the IPhone and IPad. The rest is history.
Old 07-10-2013, 2:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolderb View Post
Just a bit of a correction. Apple was the first major computer company to bring the first mouse-driven, windowed, graphical user interface to the market when they released the first Macintosh around 1984 (remember the famous Superbowl commercial?) Microsoft didn't release Windows until the early 1990's. Apple then sued Microsoft, but were largely unsuccessful. Windows took off, Apple declined sharply until they developed the innovative IPod which led to the IPhone and IPad. The rest is history.
Wrong, Microsoft first released Windows 1.0 way back in November of 1985 not the early 1990s as you say, by the early 1990s, Windows had become dominant because Microsoft got PC hardware manufacturers to buy licenses for it en masse and package it on PC's with MS-DOS. Windows is still the dominant desktop O/S because it runs on more hardware than anything Cupertino fruit co can ever cook up and Microsoft practically gives it away to PC manufacturers via volume licensing:

A history of Windows - Microsoft Windows
Old 07-10-2013, 3:29 PM

I honestly believe that both the 996t and 996xt or what ever can have a firmware updated to pick up phase II on the current scanners released. Clearly one is able to see the ids when cc on hold mode. Uniden just wants us, and i will purchase after checking this phaseII in regards to encryption, put more money out on the new and improved scanner. Myself hoping we don't get the new phase II in a hp type scanner they s@&!.

Owner: 800xlt, BC780XLT, BC785D, BC796D, BC250D, BCD396T (2), BCD996T (4)
Old 07-10-2013, 3:36 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
I honestly believe that both the 996t and 996xt or what ever can have a firmware updated to pick up phase II on the current scanners released.
The trouble is what you believe is wrong because the 396t/996t/996XT/396XT would need both a hardware as well as software upgrade and that
is not going to happen.
None of the current (or recent) Uniden scanners can do P25 Phase II Period. End of story.
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 07-10-2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
I honestly believe that both the 996t and 996xt or what ever can have a firmware updated to pick up phase II on the current scanners released. Clearly one is able to see the ids when cc on hold mode. Uniden just wants us, and i will purchase after checking this phaseII in regards to encryption, put more money out on the new and improved scanner. Myself hoping we don't get the new phase II in a hp type scanner they s@&!.
Believe what you like, however your opinion is incorrect.

From a technical standpoint, the DSP hardware in the older models simply doesn't have the horsepower to reliably process the increased requirements of TDMA. That is a fact, and anyone familiar with the difference between Phase I FDMA vs Phase II TDMA will understand that.

The firmware is irrelevant, as is the fact that you claim to see ID's of radios receiving TDMA voice channel grants. There is a world of difference between what the scanner decodes over the control channel versus actually decoding TDMA on the voice frequencies. You may not be aware of this fact, but the control channel is the same for both Phase I and Phase II systems. There is no correlation between the scanner decoding certain data from the control channel versus its capability (or lack thereof) to decode TDMA transmissions. You're able to see radio and talkgroup ID's of encrypted transmissions, does that mean the scanner should be able to decrypt those transmissions? Of course not.

Besides, if Uniden did dump a firmware update out there so older models could attempt to decode TDMA, you would likely be one of the first people complaining how unreliable and awful it was.
Old 07-10-2013, 3:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Clearly one is able to see the ids when cc on hold mode.
jpm: You need to read the replies to your posts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote: Originally Posted by jpm
the 996t is picking up the tdma id as i see when the cc is held. and a firmware wouldn't make these scanners phase II capability.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The CC isn't TDMA.

Last edited by SB-Wi; 07-10-2013 at 4:16 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2013, 4:03 PM

but picking up tdma ids.

Old 07-10-2013, 4:08 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No. It is just displaying the IDs as they come across on the FDMA control channel.

EDIT: See I left that post window open too long...a couple slipped in ahead of me with this same info.
Old 07-10-2013, 4:09 PM

ids i'm seing:

abf
T (assuming tdma)

ac0
T

do i need to add more that shows up. Why, when on hold mode of cc show these ids while in hold mode of cc.If you don't know what your talking about let someone who knows rebuttal my comments.

Old 07-10-2013, 4:16 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, I suppose I'll have to let someone who knows what they are talking about pipe in, then.

Old 07-10-2013, 4:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Well, I suppose I'll have to let someone who knows what they are talking about pipe in, then.

Old 07-10-2013, 4:39 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
If you don't know what your talking about let someone who knows rebuttal my comments.
That gets nomination for comment of the year!
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2013, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdale View Post
That gets nomination for comment of the year!
I have thought I had seen it all until that comment.I second the nomination.
Old 07-10-2013, 4:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

JPM - Your signature bloc says :"firefighter /paramedic/ etc,,,"

I sure hope you know more about saving lives than you do about the difference between FDMA info and TDMA voce info. Why not save your Wrong comments about what you "honestly believe"?
Old 07-10-2013, 4:49 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, hate to stop the train-wreck just as it is getting underway but since this thread is going downhill fast I am gonna go ahead and close this one down for jpm's sake.

Oh and JPM:

Quote:
.If you don't know what your talking about let someone who knows rebuttal my comments.
UPMan=Uniden Product Manager.
I am pretty dang sure he "knows what he is talking about" considering he has created and brought every recent Uniden scanner to market.
Just FYI
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR