RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 5:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeur6 View Post
It's truly amazing that none of you in this thread picked up on his sarcasm. Not once did I think he was being ungrateful for the advice and help, or being a jerk. Some of you seriously need to get your sarcasm and humor meters calibrated, and relax (especially you, gewecke).
Oh yeah, my secret decoder ring/sarcasm detector is in the shop.

#8 would not be obvious to 99.9% of people, #10 doesn't jump out at you either.

Meh
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
I'll have you know I worked on the O ring design for the space shuttle, I know what I'm doing! :-)

Paul
It just seems a little odd that a NASA engineer would ask such a simple connector question, then be insulted when people answer your question at its own level. You must have worked on the Challenger program.

Last edited by W8RMH; 08-29-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Old 08-29-2012, 11:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

While I can understand why everyone thought he was being a jerk, he was actually sarcastically poking fun at himself. I assume he doesn't actually work for NASA. He was joking, because as some of you may remember, the O-ring was the major Achilles heal of the space shuttle. It was also attributed to the failure resulting in the Challenger crash. Another reason conversations via text are inefficient. They don't project inflection, or humor.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 PM

;-)

If I really couldn't comprehend how a threaded connection works, I would have bigger problems than being a jerk! :-D

Paul
Old 08-29-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems170 View Post
While I can understand why everyone thought he was being a jerk, he was actually sarcastically poking fun at himself. I assume he doesn't actually work for NASA. He was joking, because as some of you may remember, the O-ring was the major Achilles heal of the space shuttle. It was also attributed to the failure resulting in the Challenger crash. Another reason conversations via text are inefficient. They don't project inflection, or humor.
At least someone else gets it, that it was sarcasm and self-deprecating humor on his part. I cannot believe how tightly some people around here are wound, sheesh!
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2012, 11:22 PM

When I need my nut tightened, I can use one of their sphincters!

Paul
Old 08-30-2012, 11:12 PM

Cool

Good news everybody! My connector problem got solved in an unexpected fashion. I bought a new 800 2.5db gain Motorola looking dipole antenna for my scanner, and when I screwed it on, the rubbery casing squished against the top of the case and connector, and stopped it from being loose.......and holy cow, this new antenna shows more signal bars than the GRE 800 RS one I have always used on 800!

Paul
Old 08-31-2012, 12:26 AM

You really ought to tighten it up properly anyway. Even with the rubber from the antenna stabilizing it somewhat, there's still the potential for you to have an issue with the connection to the PCB. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.