Scanning A 800mhz Trunked System From ~30 miles Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougWare

Feed Provider
I currently provide a a Live Audio feed, but I'm moving about 30 miles away from where I am now. I would l prefer to continue providing the feed.

I was looking at a couple of antenna alternatives:
Does anyone have any input on this antenna?
Indoor Dipole Scanner Antenna 25-1300 MHz w BNC Plug | eBay

I'm also open to any suggestions. I would prefer something that's low profile, so something like a discone is out of the question.

Thanks,
Doug

n5ims

First off, since you need gain don't look at the wide-band antennas. They provide bandwidth, not gain and since your system (per your post) is 800 MHz, look for an 800 MHz antenna not a wide-band one. That'll probably solve your "low profile" issues as well since they're short wavelength allows for much smaller antennas than would be necessary for the low frequency portions of the wide-band antennas.

Next, to handle the necessary distance you'll probably need a directional antenna like a Yagi. These provide not only directionality, but high gain and at 800 MHz aren't what you'd call huge. They can easily be hidden under the eaves of a house or similar locations to provide fairly good "stelthyness".

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Unless the trunking system you want to provide a feed for has a high rf out and a lot of line of sight, that antenna is not going to cut it. Low profile is nice I agree but you're going to have to invest considerably more in the antenna to hear the system if it's 30 miles away.

n9zas

BC101user

I too am trying to do the same. Here are my findings, so far.

Central Fl area, fairly flat terrain. 26 mi. to closest trunked tower/xmtr.next county west. 13 element Yagi rated 14 db at 806 - 960 mhz. LMR400 cable. BCD396xt with RS 800 mhz rubber ducky at ground level can sometimes get 1 bar signal. Yagi temporarily set up inside screened patio at 8 ft height I get 2-3 bars sometimes. When I put the yagi on eave mount with 5 ft mast I get nothing! The best signal location found so far is in the patio. This is either saying a lot for the RS 800 antenna or not much for the yagi. Since I do get better signal with the yagi, I am leaning toward a desense problem with possible cell towers between here and the transmitters. I am currently investigating that but will probably just wait until the system I am trying to monitor changes over to a new system in a month or so.

bernietr

Directional base antenna

Here are 2 I use that
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grove Enterprises SCANNER BEAM III
SCANNER BEAM III
ANT03 $69.95
Grove’s highly-regarded Scanner Beam has been improved with higher gain, and is being released at a special introductory price! Mount it high and in the clear for full-spectrum VHF/UHF frequency coverage from 30-1000 MHz! Hear law enforcement agencies, firefighters, emergency medical teams, aircraft, marine radio, trains, FM and TV broadcasting, business band, federal agencies and more—up to 100 miles away!

Lightweight and compact, all parts are included—balun transformer with F connector, offset boom, U-clamp. No assembly required—just rotate and latch the elements into place. Point it in any direction for maximum reception, or aim it with an inexpensive TV rotator. I

And

Scanner world YAGI-800, YAGI DIRECTIONAL BASE ANTENNA - Scanner World - The Largest Dealer of Scanning Radios in the World

YAGI DIRECTIONAL BASE ANTENNA

YAGI directional beam base antenna for digital and analog scanners.

$59.99 + $11.75 S&H Each

Model Number: YAGI-800
Availability: IN STOCK

ANT2904
HIGH GAIN DELUXE CELLULAR YAGI ANTENNA

FREQUENCY RANGE 750-940 MHz
GAIN 14 dBi @ 855 MHz
VSWR LESS THAN 1.5:1
POLARIZATION VERTICAL OR HORIZONTAL
IMPEDANCE 50 OHMS
MAX. POWER HANDLING 50 WATTS
CONNECTOR N FEMALE (Includes BNC Adapter)

ANTENNA DIMENSIONS: 32"W x 8"H
INCLUDES U-BOLTS FOR MOUNTING (Does not include mast)

Dimensions: Main boom 5' 10"
Longest element 8' 4"
Number of elements: 14

FAQ

Q: What is the beam width of the new Scanner Beam?

A: I can only answer this in generalized terms because with the wide frequency range this beam covers, the beam width varies considerably.

For example, at low band (30-50 MHz) it's essentially omni-directional with virtually no favored direction, but as you increase in frequency, it becomes sharper and sharper (more and more gain). At high band VHF, I'd say that it's probably at least 45 degrees wide for decent reception, while at 800 MHz, the reception drops off conspicuously after about 10-20 degrees. Bob.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This might be what you are looking for and you do not have to invest considerably.Link is below and you can find them on ebay much cheaper from time to time.
Wilson 301111 800MHz 13dB Yagi Antenna

While that is a good yagi, it is more than the $20 antenna the Op inquired about, then of course you're looking at $$ for low loss coaxial line. ;)

n9zas

CommLt

Feed Provider
I spent about a year experimenting with this situation. Work for one county and live in another. Tried many things but even a 13 element yagi mounted line of site at 30 feet above ground did not do as much for me as good quality low loss coax did. I even tried a pre-amp that didn't make enough difference.

The other thing I had to do was purchase new scanners (mine were old, 780xlt and Pro-96). I cannot say enough about the receive sensitivity of both the HP-1 and BCT15X from Uniden (planning on adding a 996XT).

Between new coax and scanner, I now use a discone about three feet off my second story roof.

I also think there is some desense going on but I was so excited I finally got it working that I would save that for another day. My feed is now about 98% where I want it to be but hey that 2% is still bugging me.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Build it ::) A piece of 1/2 PVC and something for the elements - I'd guess less than 20$ in parts or scrap, plus learn some antenna theory.

If you are mounting indoors or out of the wx it's even easier.

- plenty of Ham sites with plans

SCPD

QRT
Check out antennas and associated hardware, build your own antenna section. Yagi and off center-fed vhf/uhf vertical dipole. Live in central Fla also, built the dipole and have gone from 3 bars to 5. It will increase bandwith but reception has greatly improved. Running 2 scanners, 996xt, pro160 of this antenna and have had no problems.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
It's a matter of line of sight really, not distance. I am listening to a 800mhz type 2 system that is about 60 miles away....with my 396xt....as I sit in a steel frame office building. Of course the transmit antenna is at nearly 8000 feet of elevation.....

Assuming a fairly low elevation for your target transmit antenna, you will really need some help, and an 800mhz yagi sounds like just the right medicine. I suggest the wilson 800 mhz yagi, I believe with 11 db gain. I have used them to filter out all but one target simulcast site to lessen the effect of what I call "simulcast multipath". They are solid little antennas with a female N connector.

snapperq

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a DPD Productions LP antenna last Spring and I believe that it's the best antenna on the market. I swear by it.......It's very very good. A liitle expensive but very well worth the cost. I receive 800Mhz fro Toledo, Ohio which is about 50 miles away and yes I can monitor them very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.