RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
It has been confirmed that the PSR-800, in its current configuration, cannot decode Phase 2 TDMA.
It has now been confirmed that the 800 WILL decode phase 2 with the new update that was released
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2012, 12:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Come on Uniden we need a BCD397XT/BCD997XT?? P25 PII Scanner soon or Im going to buy my 1st GRE!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2ICV View Post
Come on Uniden we need a BCD397XT/BCD997XT?? P25 PII Scanner soon or Im going to buy my 1st GRE!
I think you'll see them come out with one when they realize that GRE is getting all their business.
Don't be fooled, I'm not a LEO!
Old 10-14-2012, 1:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by egulley612 View Post
It has now been confirmed that the 800 WILL decode phase 2 with the new update that was released
Which is why I said in its current configuration.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Old 10-14-2012, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egulley612 View Post
The GRE rep had no idea that they released a firmware update so the 800 could receive phase 2 TDMA
Correct - when the GRE rep said that, the firmware had not yet been released.

Where the rep's statement was incorrect was in the part where he said a new model was required.
Old 10-14-2012, 1:53 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8rcall View Post
I think you'll see them come out with one when they realize that GRE is getting all their business.
Considering they have a history of not announcing anything until about 6 months before its release, I think it's not necessarily true to imply that they're not doing anything. There's no evidence that they're doing something or not.
Old 10-15-2012, 2:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Phase 1, Phase 2.... forget it. Phase me out. I've recently taken up bowling again. The hardware is much cheaper and you get to throw it at things.

This digital garbage is the worst thing to happen to scanners since... well, ever. Sure it's great for companies like Motorola who get to charge their users big Donald Trump Lotto Millions for "sorry... you went digital, 10-9?" but for the scanner community and news media professionals who now find themselves shut out of more and more communications every day, it's a nightmare.

Simulcast system? Forget it - find another hobby or move next door to one of the towers.

Encryption? Again, find another hobby. I hear R/C airplanes are fun and with your knowledge of RF, you could probably get the thing to fly for miles and miles before it goes out of range. And now that a majority of scanner listeners are finding themselves listening to taxi cabs because that's all that's not digital anymore or flat broke from buying these $500 tinkertoys, APCO wants to switch everyone over to Phase TWO?

I have 7 words for that: Fuh Get Abboud It. I'm going bowling.

/rant.
Old 10-15-2012, 5:10 PM

I don't even hear the taxi's anymore, they been moved here in my area to "Nexedge-ENC on the ABEEP LTR system!!!!....
Old 10-15-2012, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
Phase 1, Phase 2.... forget it. Phase me out. I've recently taken up bowling again. The hardware is much cheaper and you get to throw it at things.

This digital garbage is the worst thing to happen to scanners since... well, ever. Sure it's great for companies like Motorola who get to charge their users big Donald Trump Lotto Millions for "sorry... you went digital, 10-9?" but for the scanner community and news media professionals who now find themselves shut out of more and more communications every day, it's a nightmare.

Simulcast system? Forget it - find another hobby or move next door to one of the towers.

Encryption? Again, find another hobby. I hear R/C airplanes are fun and with your knowledge of RF, you could probably get the thing to fly for miles and miles before it goes out of range. And now that a majority of scanner listeners are finding themselves listening to taxi cabs because that's all that's not digital anymore or flat broke from buying these $500 tinkertoys, APCO wants to switch everyone over to Phase TWO?

/rant.
LMAO.thats the funniest analogy of the current state of scanning i have ever heard.taxi cabs? im listening to drive thru's.
Sponsored links

Old 10-15-2012, 7:56 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Quote:

/rant.
This is about the sorriest post I have ever heard in my entire life! HOWEVER, I can see why he feels the way he does but I must say, I ain't throwing in the towel just yet!
Old 10-16-2012, 6:31 AM

We were also supposed to have been left in the dust back in the 90's when trunked systems started going on line. Then Greg Knox gave the ability to decode and follow the control channel, and Uniden came out with the BC235XLT.
Old 10-16-2012, 6:37 AM

Talking

and now encryption is king,and since its against the law to decode encryption...whats left? drive thru's....
Old 10-16-2012, 6:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

i just hope uniden gets PL tones right before they even think about trying TDMA. I am tired of ALWAYS missing the first second of a transmission, and hearing that annoying squelch tail, with PL tones enabled..
Old 10-16-2012, 7:05 AM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcam406 View Post
and now encryption is king,and since its against the law to decode encryption...whats left? drive thru's....
Actually encryption is not king...it may be used in your area but
thankfully it is not used everywhere. Here in NC it is only used for
certain investigative channels/talkgroups. "Dispatch in the Clear" is
still very much the king here.
And even if encryption comes to an area there is still so much out there
to monitor between aviation, railroads, amateur radio, etc.
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 10-16-2012, 8:00 AM

you are in a good locale.in my area,all of the regions that make up the "Golden Horseshoe" are in the process of being switched as we speak.and i agree,there is other stuff to listen to.but it all depends on personal interests,and mine being first responders,as i like knowing whats going on in my area.encryption is going to be king up here next year.
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2012, 10:29 AM

I hope they bring out something new.

My area goes digital in 2014. So I don't have to rush and buy one now.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneg View Post
I hope they bring out something new.

My area goes digital in 2014. So I don't have to rush and buy one now.
Same here. Phase 2 TDMA sometime around 2014-2015.
Don't be fooled, I'm not a LEO!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4ZNR View Post
Actually encryption is not king...it may be used in your area but
thankfully it is not used everywhere. Here in NC it is only used for
certain investigative channels/talkgroups. "Dispatch in the Clear" is
still very much the king here.
And even if encryption comes to an area there is still so much out there
to monitor between aviation, railroads, amateur radio, etc.
Marshall KE4ZNR
I actually considered encryption in my post that Bigcam was referencing. However, I was more addressing technology and its forward progress, and our ability to "catch up". In the end I chose not to mention encryption because it can be turned off as easily as it is turned on. You can't say the same for the advance to trunking, and now to TDMA. Call me a dreamer, but my hope is that one day for sake of interoperability, systems that are encrypted system wide will clear routine/dispatch channels, sort of the way that eveyone was "encouraged" to go to plain english over ten codes (yes, I know that everyone didn't make the switch).
Old 11-03-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:

/rant.
I feel the same way. The only thing is that I am terrible at bowling. I have been scanning and using two way radios since before I could walk. My mom still as a picture of me as a baby babbling into an old D104 hooked up to a classic Cobra base station with a shiny Bearcat IV sitting on top.

I'm trying to stay up to speed with all this nonsense both because I enjoy the hobby and because I have to. Forever I have been and Analog conventional kind of guy. I played with a few analog trunked systems in the past but nothing crazy. This digital crap is not only UNSAFE to use but a real pain in the *** to monitor.

In this past year however my brothers and I have had a P25 X2 TDMA 700 system rammed down our throat. I don't even know what that means!!! All I do know is that when I use the system it fails routinely placing countless public safety personnel in jeopardy, and as far as monitoring the system my options are extremely limited. So it's a lose lose situation for me.

My hope was that Uniden or GRE was going to come out with something that is the end-all scanner but as my grandma used to say, "crap in one hand and wish in the other, see which one fills up first".

OK...that's my rant. I feel better.
Old 11-04-2012, 8:05 AM

great post.