Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpringHill

so, like the title says, im curious about a Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT. i just sold my bct15x which is an analog scanner. most of my cities are moving to digital, and i really love uniden as a company. i know how to use the unidens and such, BUT im not really wanting to dish out $500 for this, so im curious if there is a site to get these cheaper, or another type of scanner thats cheap but has sort of the same functionality?

thanks in advance for any replies or advice! :)

jajehalbig

Premium Subscriber
Radioshack/GRE has a few options on digital scanners like the PSR600 that may be slightly more affordable than Uniden. I'm totally new to the radio scanning world and just got a brand new BCD996XT for an amount in the low $400s from a seller on Ebay. For me, digital scanning is a must, and the more sites and groups I can progam and store, the better. I wouldnt pay more than $475 for either the 996XT or the PSR600. Hope this helps.

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
All consumer grade scanners have issues with simulcast digital signals. Supposedly the RS/GRE models work a bit better on this, but you have to remember we're not dealing with a thousand dollar (or more) professional handheld here.

This article describes the problem in detail...

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

I wondered why mine seems to cut out a lot on simulcast. I figured I had something setup wrong but was never a big enough issue to worry about at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.