Do Scanner Antennas help??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntsman78

I stumbled upon a Uniden BCT8 with all the goodies, software exc. I know that this is an older model but I thought hey, why not give it a shot. I was wondering if anyone has tried or had any luck with a big antenna hooked up one. I have a SNOOP antenna That I bought on Ebay for my Uniden BC340CRS before I learned that the frequencies in my area are trunked. So now I have a glorified weather radio. Ha!!! Anyway, I am going to program the BCT8 and try the Snoop antenna, if that is a dud I thought I'd try a Antennacraft St2. If anyone has tried this setup with either I'd like to hear from you and what the outcome was. Thanks!!!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
In general, more metal higher in the air improves reception.

(There are exceptions in areas where you have a strong nearby transmitter, where improved antenna can cause overload and reduce what you receive, though.)

YMMV

customseal

Premium Subscriber
New to this forum and the scanner world. Son became Highway patrol man and just purchased the Home patrol 1. Doing ok with the programing but do have a question for you all. Is there a external antenna that you would recommend or just use the one that came with it. This V bulletin is like the one I Admin. at in the past. :) Thanks for any reply and have a safe day!

Tweekerbob

Being in Indianapolis, you may still indeed have a glorified weather radio. Well over 90% of the Public Safety / Government comms in your area are digital. The Indianapolis City Public Safety system is an APCO25 digital trunked system.

Check out the frequency databases here for your area. You may find quite a few interesting things to listen to with the BCT-8, but if you bought it to listen to police and fire departments, you're not gonna pick them up. You'll just get a bunch of data noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.