Uniden USB cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if there are any other progamming USB cables you could use instead of the Uniden one?

Could you use a USB to serial adaptor?

I'm not sure if you are specifically looking for a direct USB connection, or just a way to connect your scanner to your PC via USB. If you're looking for latter, and if you still have the serial cable that came with the scanner, you can use a USB to serial adaptor with the original serial cable.

Something like this:
usb-serial-prolicif-chipset.jpg

I use a USB to serial I picked up on eBay for few bucks with my Uniden scanner.

-DS

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Actually something to use to program scanners with, like the scanner is attached to the computer by USB. Something you would use so you could program your scanner with FreeScan.

Ok, so I assume you scanner came with one of these from Uniden. The small connector connects to the scanner.
bwzy1227001g_xlarge.jpg

Then, use one of these to connect the Uniden cable to your PC's USB port. This is a USB to serial cable:
usb-serial-prolicif-chipset.jpg

I use this exact setup to program my BCD996T using FreeScan.

-DS

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that, I didn't know that there was such a cable. But what am actually looking for is just a USB to USB programming cable for the Uniden scanners, you know how they are, a mini USB for the scanner to a regular USB for the PC. I know about the one Uniden sells, but I would like to know if there is anything else like that.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Except for the BC125AT, no Uniden scanner uses a USB interface. BC246XT, BCT15 (that you list in your sig) both use serial and connect using a non-standard connector. The only all-in-one cable you'll find is the USB-1.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Except for the BC125AT, no Uniden scanner uses a USB interface. BC246XT, BCT15 (that you list in your sig) both use serial and connect using a non-standard connector. The only all-in-one cable you'll find is the USB-1.

Okay, so there is no other cables like this out there? Or does Uniden scanners need to have a specific kind like the one shown in the link. Of course other then needing a USB part that would fit the scanner.

Uniden USB Cable

Last edited:

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so there is no other cables like this out there? Or does Uniden scanners need to have a specific kind like the one shown in the link. Of course other then needing a USB part that would fit the scanner.

Uniden USB Cable
What you are looking at there is doing the same thing as what DigitalSandwich showed. It is just done in a neat, small package. The Serial-USB converter part is in the lump in the middle of the USB-1 cable.

Joe1956

Uniden USB Cable

What you're looking for is what's called "USB to mini B", (NOT "micro B"). They're a very common item. Around here anyway, in the last few months even the Dollar Tree has had 5 footers for a buck. They don't have the toroid chokes on them, but it doesn't really matter so much since the BC125AT is triple conversion.

(By the way, if you've bought a Canon camera in the last 6 years, you've likely got one).

whacker

The connector on the scanner end is not referred to as "USB". I don't know what its proper name is, but USB it ain't. It's something proprietary.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
The connector on the scanner end is not referred to as "USB". I don't know what its proper name is, but USB it ain't. It's something proprietary.
The physical connector is actually a defunct/little utilized USB connector. I have a couple cords from cheapo digital cameras with that connector. Uniden just decided to make use of it.

whacker

Oops. Well then, I stand corrected and have learned something. I thought I'd seen that connector on a camera cable I had a while back.

alwayslookin

I just purchased a BCD996XT and a BCD396XT I have a Belkin USB to serial adapter installed will this work as far as programming and web server/control or will I have to buy the USB-1 cable? Is there any difference as far as speed between the two cables? Thanks

wbhadfield

Premium Subscriber
I've purchased both usb to rs232 db-9 cable w/ cd-drivers. I finally got my uniden bc scanner to see the cable,. Got the scanner programed. It took some puttzing around. Wb

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Belkin USB-to-RS232 adapters have been trouble in the past. It may work, it may not. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed on your computer.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I just purchased a BCD996XT and a BCD396XT I have a Belkin USB to serial adapter installed will this work as far as programming and web server/control or will I have to buy the USB-1 cable? Is there any difference as far as speed between the two cables? Thanks

When you say using " web server/control " is that using my ProScan? If that's the case, yes it should work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.