CES show in Las Vegas,NV

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Uniden is not showing scanners at CES (and all meetings are in private suites, we are not on the show floor). While GRE has a booth, I suspect it is one that they had to reserve prior to their meltdown. With no current operations, I doubt that they are there, but would be as interested...well, OK, more interested...as anyone to know what they were showing if they are there.

daneg

Uniden is not showing scanners at CES (and all meetings are in private suites, we are not on the show floor). While GRE has a booth, I suspect it is one that they had to reserve prior to their meltdown. With no current operations, I doubt that they are there, but would be as interested...well, OK, more interested...as anyone to know what they were showing if they are there.

Why doesn't Uniden show any signs or any "look forward to:" ?

Seems like they just stopped as well.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We have not used CES (or any other show) to make scanner product announcements for at least 10 years...maybe longer. We do not announce/show new models until they are substantially complete (for numerous reasons, including competitive, regulatory, legal).

You can figure, though, that as long as I am still with Uniden, we must be doing something in terms of future releases, else why keep me around (well, other than to bring up the average good looks in the office).

daneg

We have not used CES (or any other show) to make scanner product announcements for at least 10 years...maybe longer. We do not announce/show new models until they are substantially complete (for numerous reasons, including competitive, regulatory, legal).

You can figure, though, that as long as I am still with Uniden, we must be doing something in terms of future releases, else why keep me around (well, other than to bring up the average good looks in the office).

Haha fair enough.

I assume once something is submitted to the FCC for clearance it can be view by public. Correct?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Except for those portions for which confidentiality has been requested (like schematics, block diagrams, etc). An FCC Grant is a public document.

W9NES

Thank You Paul for answering the question. I have been a pro-Uniden user for years and I do not use any other scanners except Uniden.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Nice to see that Paul & Uniden care enough about their clients to have Paul monitoring the forums and reply to our questions..
Its good to know thay we can get accurite and honest answers to our questions.. something that "other" scanner manufacturers never did for us.

Thanks Paul. (UPMAN)

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
We have not used CES (or any other show) to make scanner product announcements for at least 10 years...maybe longer. We do not announce/show new models until they are substantially complete (for numerous reasons, including competitive, regulatory, legal)..

Paul, before my comments let me please say that I have been a Uniden fan for a long time. However, I have some constructive criticism.

Not telling us whether there is a forthcoming firmware update for an existing product...is that a competitive, legal, or regulatory issue? I would rather see a company be more forthcoming about whether or not it will fix known issues. I won't get into the 'entitlement' argument that others will immediately spout. I am happy to receive the support you guys give but the secrecy is ridiculous. How about just telling everyone that the 396T/996T support (or other models for that matter) has reached and end and to upgrade to a newer model for continued support? Many companies have no problem telling us this about their products. Planned obsolescence is part of the game these days.

I couldn't fathom that you (Uniden) would not be working on a new model that will do Phase 2 P25. Seeing as how GRE brought this to market long ago, I would count out competitiveness as an excuse so how does legal or regulatory stop you from teasing this info to us? I see ham manufacturers advertise new gear all the time with the disclaimer "Not approved by the FCC..." so why doesn't Uniden do this as well? GRE let us all fondle their new mobile at Dayton...

Again let me say I am grateful for all you do for us on these boards, but man some of your company practices are VERY frustrating. I would just like a bit more openness.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
For support via a future firmware update: Because I don't know. I would have thought that we would have ended support for the BC296D and BC796D around 2005, but we came out with an update for them in 2009. As time passes, updates become more extremely unlikely, though. Older platforms are pretty much maxed-out in terms of codespace. Specifically, though, the answer is "competitive."

As to the rest, we do not disclose to competitors or potential competitors our product development roadmap (and I learned very early that disclosing it to even one person who is not in the "inner circle" is tantamount to disclosing it to our competitors). This is the norm across all industries (and this is the "competitive" reason).I don't believe GRE intended their exposure of the PSR-900 to predate its availability by infinity (or whatever lesser duration it ends up being). For both Uniden and GRE, It has been fairly normal for product announcements to predate first availability by about 3-5 months, which is typically prior to FCC approvals, so caveats about not being offered for sale are also a standard practice (regulatory reason).

I am quite aware that folks want to know more about what is on the horizon. I get emails and read posts asking some variation of the questions every single day of my life (despite the info linked to in my signature line).

For myself, I want to know what cameras are coming out next year and what specs they are going to have; what features are going to be in the 2014 model year cars, what they'll cost, and what they'll look like; what cool software is about to come out for photography, videography, etc. I just don't expect to find out until the respective companies are ready to announce it to everyone.

Highpockets

Nice to see that Paul & Uniden care enough about their clients to have Paul monitoring the forums and reply to our questions..
Its good to know thay we can get accurite and honest answers to our questions.. something that "other" scanner manufacturers never did for us.

What other scanner manufactures?

Status
Not open for further replies.