BC296D & BCi25 card & Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
So here's my problem.

Purchased a very used BC296D without APCO card on ebay. I cleaned it up put a few conventional vhf frequencies in it and it picked them up fine. Figured I'd try it's ability to track my local simulcast system. I was told prior that a BCi25 card would work in a 296 or 796. I have a few "extra" cards laying around so I cleared the scanner put in a card and programmed the system. I programmed every frequency for the system and two very busy TGs. I set the CTCSS to CSQ and not search which I've heard causes some issues. I adjusted the audio settings numerous times. Still no decode when using the BCi25 cards. I made sure the settings had the card turned on, all the frequencies were programmed for trunking and P25. Just to rule it out I put my i96 card in it and it tracked it just fine. Any thoughts on a programming/setting that I'm missing and or an update to the i25 cards that I may need to update? The scanner itself is updated to latest firmware. Just for reference I searched the whole BCi25 vs BCi96 topic and found this which confirms the ability to use either card in either scanner(s)

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/167646-bci25d-v-bci96d.html

I'd like to add that when I have a BCi25 card in and am cycling through the audio quality settings I sometimes get traffic and it's clear but it goes away. Almost like I'm not getting proper decode. Note that none of my other scanners have issues with this system on stock antennas in same local. It also cycles the words P25 and ENC. Feels to me like it's acting like a 250 (not handling the 9600 baud CC)

system i'm monitoring:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2324

Last edited:

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
So I decided to see if the BCi25d cards would work in my 796. Neither one allowed the scanner to decode the CC. So is it safe to say the i25 and i96 are NOT identical or that both of my i25 cards need updated? Or a chance they are both broke?

Last edited:

spooney

Try the Uniden Card Error firmware update. Go to Uniden website and click on support tab. Then go to Downloads page and select Bc296D and download Card Error fix.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
Quote: "P25 and ENC" The system your trying to copy is encrypted no scanner can decode encrypted systems

First off the system is not encrypted I monitor it everyday, perhaps the TG was.

Perhaps I shouldn't have included that aspect but I'm trying to rule out a decode issue or a scanner hardware issue.

The 250D with the digital card does NOT work on any 9600 baud system..thus why they called the newer scanners 3 "9" 6XT & 9 "9" 6 XT. The 2nd digit representing they work on 9600 baud systems...

Never said anything about a 250D.

and 796/296s monitor 9600 Baud Control Channels

Last edited:

broadcast23

Quote:"Feels to me like it's acting like a 250 (not handling the 9600 baud CC)" it is the bci25 card that isn't handling the 9600 baud system, the scanner itself will handle it fine

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for you observations here nick. I have been thinking of tracking down a 796 for the desk and will be sure and watch out for the 25i card. I remember reading that thread you linked and always wondered fi there were any other real world examples.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
Quote:"Feels to me like it's acting like a 250 (not handling the 9600 baud CC)" it is the bci25 card that isn't handling the 9600 baud system, the scanner itself will handle it fine

I was always under the impression that the card itself decoded the digital signal and the scanner itself handled the control channel.

Not at all saying you're wrong. Just feel they are some misconceptions (including my own) that a 25 card and a 96 card are identical.

I'm not sure if the card has been updated, I know the scanner has. I'll try that and see if it helps.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
So I attempted to update the BCi25 card with the BCi96 update and it wouldn't rewrite it because it's not a 96.

Maybe UPman will chime in but I'm leaning towards the fact that these cards are in fact NOT interchangeable.

And if anyone else has any other ideas let me know.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
Yep scanner is current, again I also put the card(s) into my 796 and it wouldn't track the system either

spooney

OK, I just swapped the bc-i96 card in my 796d with a bc-i25 card and it works fine. The Card Reader Error Fix fixes a bug that was created when V3.60 was installed. The fix is related to the scanner not the card itself. Put the bc-i96 in the 296d and install the update and then swap them and see what happens.

Last edited:

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
I really appreciate it

So even the card update listed on Uniden's website is for the scanner not the card...technically?

Last edited:

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
Ok so I know this horse is dead but I'm feel that I'm missing something easy here. What I've done recently so far:

1) Made certain the firmware was up to date on the 296D
2) For arguments sake I made sure the update on my 796D was up to date.
3) Reinstalled the "card updates" on both the above radios
4) Tried to install updates while the 25i cards were in either radio - no luck keep getting error saying card is not writable blah blah
5) None of my 25i cards will allow the 796D or the 296D to track the system.
6) Put my 96i card in the 296d, works great with the system so I ruled out radio hardware issue.

My conclusion:

Both cards are broke

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
And you don't have a 250 or 785 to try the card on a non-9600 system to confirm? That would be the last thing to try I guess.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
And you don't have a 250 or 785 to try the card on a non-9600 system to confirm? That would be the last thing to try I guess.

Not really, there's one system in my area that I know of for sure but too far away to get good decode.

Before I was swapping cards and what not, my 250D would pick up some transmissions in "conventional mode" if I scrolled through the channels.

Again I put a 25i card in my 296 scrolled through the channels conventional and was picking up P25 signals crystal clear, was actually very happy with audio. Hit scan and ID search....nothing wouldn't "trunk track". Put the 96 card in and it's tracking fine. It literally turns into a 250 with the 25 card. 796 does the same thing.

What's killing me is people before have said that it's literally the same card just with different "labels".

spooney

I was told a long time ago that the cards were the same, just labeled differently. As I stated I have both cards and they both work in all my radios.(250d,785d,& 796d) I have never received an error message that the card was not writeable, so I would assume that means the card is defective. Last thing is you do have the card turned "ON" in the menu setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.