uniden 396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

heffer

Premium Subscriber
i have the 396xt, and still have major issues with trying to hook into freescan. It seems when i plug in i get the message usb device in not recognmized and an error of code 43. At times it has worked after some time.... not sure why. When i try to reload or plug in again, i come back to this issue. I tried downloading driver............not sure if i have the right one perhaps. All i know is this is getting very annoying with trying to load and reload all the time.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What USB adapter are you using? What operating system do you have? Drivers are very specific to the equipment you are using.

heffer

Premium Subscriber
i am using the uniden stock cable that came with it and i use windows 7. I tried to download what i thought was called pl 2303 from this website...Uniden USB Cable

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
As Ronnie says, the stock cable is not a USB cable. If you are using the cable shown in the link you provided, then the latest driver is: Prolific Drivers

bear780ks

So No Drivers are needed at all when using the Serial Cable cable that is included with the BCD 396xt is that Correct Paul.!

I thought about Getting the USB cable as well (because it's more universal to Use)that's shown below that Scanner Masters sells.. I also seen below the U.S.B cable the Driver's that are needed to use with this Cable:

01-551038-2T.jpg

PL-2303 Windows 98SE/ME/Win2k/XP Driver Installer.exe

Ra

heffer

Premium Subscriber
yes that is the one i am using, but my computer never seems to want to recognize it. I am just going to try some things here and see what happens

NE1C4NSC4N

Premium Subscriber
If your using Freescan, just use the Auto detection feature in the com port settings when you open up the "download programming" or "control scanner" windows that are found under the scanner header, it will check all your com devices and try to find your scanner for you.

bear780ks

@heffer
It maybe from a small issue that it's just not recognizing the Driver's) You might try doing a delete of the drivers shut down the Computer completely and then do a reload and see if that works.

I'v had to reload drivers before in the past not with my Scanner but i had to do it and they then worked for me. Ra

heffer

Premium Subscriber
it keeps saying that "freescan was unable to detect any available COM ports. Make sure the port is not in use, it is COM15 or less, and that you have USB-COM port drivers installed if applicable.......

I tried auto, this same statement comes up....

RonnieUSA

it keeps saying that "freescan was unable to detect any available COM ports. Make sure the port is not in use, it is COM15 or less, and that you have USB-COM port drivers installed if applicable.......

I tried auto, this same statement comes up....
Try this, The way you get to it is threw the system folder.
Go to the hardware tab, and do what I have post in the pic, and then click save, then reinstall your driver, and it should work.

Last edited:

heffer

Premium Subscriber
ronnie, i am not sure where you have gone here to find this.... Is this under device manager...?

RonnieUSA

ronnie, i am not sure where you have gone here to find this.... Is this under device manager...?
First open the control panel, and the follow my pic's in the order I posted the, and it will get You to the settings I first posted.
Open Control Panel, scroll to down to System, click on it, when it opens in the upper left corner look for advanced system settings, click on that, and it will open system properties, then click on hardware tab, and choose device installation settings, and set it the way I told You in my other post.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
So No Drivers are needed at all when using the Serial Cable cable that is included with the BCD 396xt is that Correct Paul.!
That is correct. RS232 is universally compatible with no additional drivers.

I thought about Getting the USB cable as well (because it's more universal to Use)that's shown below that Scanner Masters sells..

USB is less universal than RS232...USB requires drivers specific to particular operating systems and operating system versions. Unfortunately, many PC manufacturers "cheap out" and omit the RS232 port, forcing users to deal with USB drivers issues.

heffer

Premium Subscriber
looking for some rope to hang myself. It did not work, it is still doing the same things.... Weird cause i can plug my external hard drive in any usb port and it fires up.

RonnieUSA

looking for some rope to hang myself. It did not work, it is still doing the same things.... Weird cause i can plug my external hard drive in any usb port and it fires up.

Did You uninstall the driver first, before trying what I said.
If not uninstall it, reboot then install again.
See if that helps.

heffer

Premium Subscriber
yes i just did....think i did it all correct. Soon as i put the usb in, the loading window came up, but then again did not take... thought i was in the clear for a moment

Status
Not open for further replies.