RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 2:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Electra Bearcat III Crystals

Hey everyone,
I am the lucky recipient of the Electra Bearcat III scanner from my girlfriend's late grandfather. I must admit I've been spoiled by technology, as I have a digital trunking scanner and a Yaesu dual-band HT.

I'm a little perplexed on this radio because I've never worked with crystals before. Opening it up, there's a bank of 8 channels, each with a crystal in it. On the top of the crystal, it gives a frequency number.

I thought it'd be fun to find some crystals that were tuned to our local repeater, 146.7000 Mhz. If I'm looking for a crystal (HC-25/U), do I search by frequency or crystal frequency? I downloaded the manual for this scanner and it gave me a formula to determine the crystal frequency: (FREQ-10.8)/3. So for my local repeater, that would be 45.3.

Any idea of where I can find this crystal? I've found a few sites on the internet that sells them, I'm just not completely sure what I'm ordering. Anyway, I'm hoping someone can help me. The only crystal that works in this rig right now is the weather frequency. I would love to add some repeater frequencies to listen to.

Thanks!
Sponsored links

Old 03-12-2013, 3:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Kiel. this appears to be a good place: Police Scanner Crystals Stocked at Ken's Electronics, (Wholesale & Retail Electronic Parts) Kalamazoo, Michigan
and : Scanner Crystals | Bearcat Regency Police Fire EMS Radio Scanner Crystal

There seems to be several. Back in the day I ordered from Marden Electronics in Wisconsin for crystals. They would make them as ordered and were of good quality. Don't know if their in business anymore? '73'

Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thank you! I have several old Bearcats and if I can get some Xtals, I might put them back in service again!

JK
Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have a couple dozen old crystals. Post the frequencies, I may have one, or more.
Old 03-13-2013, 2:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9IEL View Post
Hey everyone,
I am the lucky recipient of the Electra Bearcat III scanner from my girlfriend's late grandfather. I must admit I've been spoiled by technology, as I have a digital trunking scanner and a Yaesu dual-band HT.

I'm a little perplexed on this radio because I've never worked with crystals before. Opening it up, there's a bank of 8 channels, each with a crystal in it. On the top of the crystal, it gives a frequency number.

I thought it'd be fun to find some crystals that were tuned to our local repeater, 146.7000 Mhz. If I'm looking for a crystal (HC-25/U), do I search by frequency or crystal frequency? I downloaded the manual for this scanner and it gave me a formula to determine the crystal frequency: (FREQ-10.8)/3. So for my local repeater, that would be 45.3.

Any idea of where I can find this crystal? I've found a few sites on the internet that sells them, I'm just not completely sure what I'm ordering. Anyway, I'm hoping someone can help me. The only crystal that works in this rig right now is the weather frequency. I would love to add some repeater frequencies to listen to.

Thanks!
Blank page This is where everybody gets their crystals. they make them,
This message is hidden because n9mxq is on your ignore list.
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2013, 2:45 PM

i just ordered a crystal from International crystal
Crystals, oscillators, filters, precision crystals, TCXOs and more from International Crystal

Last edited by bonk83; 03-13-2013 at 2:47 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 3:19 PM

I find a bunch on E-Bay sometimes also
Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I've heard about Jan's Crystals from more than one person, I'll have to drop them an e-mail. I can't wait to get this radio humming. Right now the only crystal that's picking anything up is the local NOAA weather station. I think my girlfriend's grandpa used it to listen to the sheriff's department and the CSX railroad.

W8RMH, the frequencies I'm looking for are for the 2m repeaters in the area:

I have the following crystals in there now if anyone is looking for these:
Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Crystals

I have a collection of old 2 meter radios. I was going to set them up for my area until I checked the price. Be prepared for sticker shock. For the cost of the eight crystals I needed, I could buy a FT-60R.
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 PM

I used to get my scanner crystals from Bomar crystals, but that was probably back in the 70's or 80's. Looking at the price you are looking for them .... I would just leave the Uniden on the shelf and look at it. You could buy a modern radio for the price of the crystals.

Try looking for something like a Realistic Pro 2001, or Pro 2020. They are old scanners and may suit your needs, but they are of course non-crystal models, which will be much better for you. Unless of course money is no object .. and you just want to get that Uniden working.
Old 03-14-2013, 6:07 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3cfc View Post
Blank page This is where everybody gets their crystals. they make them,
According to that site they only make crystals for a range of 1 Mhz to 100 Mhz which only covers the old VHF low band which isn't used much anymore.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9IEL View Post
Thanks for the responses, guys.

I've heard about Jan's Crystals from more than one person, I'll have to drop them an e-mail. I can't wait to get this radio humming. Right now the only crystal that's picking anything up is the local NOAA weather station. I think my girlfriend's grandpa used it to listen to the sheriff's department and the CSX railroad.

W8RMH, the frequencies I'm looking for are for the 2m repeaters in the area:

I have the following crystals in there now if anyone is looking for these:
I am not sure if it's the first if but this scanner is 10.8 and the other crystal scanners are 10.7 and it makes a difference. there is no sense buying from a dealer and pay more when you can go to the source.

Good luck to ya.

K3CFC
This message is hidden because n9mxq is on your ignore list.
Old 03-16-2013, 2:05 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspence View Post
I have a collection of old 2 meter radios. I was going to set them up for my area until I checked the price. Be prepared for sticker shock. For the cost of the eight crystals I needed, I could buy a FT-60R.
Jaspence, I have a FT-60R and love it and also have a good digital trunking scanner. It's not a necessity or priority to use this Electra Bearcat III, just something fun to toy around with.

I already have one dealer who says he has one of the frequencies I'm looking for and it's the main statewide repeater frequency, so I'm going to go ahead and get that and keep an eye out for the others. After S&H, I paid $8.00 for it. :-)

Thanks for the input everyone.

Last edited by K9IEL; 03-16-2013 at 2:28 AM..
Old 03-16-2013, 4:44 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default BC-3 CRYSTAL SCANNER

Hi keil i have a couple those radios in my collection and the crystal dealer i buy from is monitor crystal sevice in waukegan ill 813-432-5296 just tell him its for a bearcat and they will make em for u little pricy though 8.00 a apiece allso that radio u could put interchangeable band module bourds into them judging buy the crystals u have looks like a high band module might be in there?/ looks like a circuit board held in by 2 screws right next to the crystal sockets the board i have in my bc3 is high band but its 152-174 mhz which just above 2- meter ham band so u can order the chrystal not sure if ill work just a fyi just passing on the the info ..take care & 73's
Old 03-16-2013, 8:17 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefilet View Post
Hi keil i have a couple those radios in my collection and the crystal dealer i buy from is monitor crystal sevice in waukegan ill 813-432-5296 just tell him its for a bearcat and they will make em for u little pricy though 8.00 a apiece allso that radio u could put interchangeable band module bourds into them judging buy the crystals u have looks like a high band module might be in there?/ looks like a circuit board held in by 2 screws right next to the crystal sockets the board i have in my bc3 is high band but its 152-174 mhz which just above 2- meter ham band so u can order the chrystal not sure if ill work just a fyi just passing on the the info ..take care & 73's
Thanks Joe! Looking at the manual, it says the high band module is capable of 146-174 Mhz, but the board is aligned for 152-174 Mhz. Looks like I'll have to tinker around a little bit.

I'll call my uncle this afternoon. He's an Extra class ham and probably had one of these back in the day. Perhaps he could help me out. :-)

Last edited by K9IEL; 03-16-2013 at 8:32 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefilet View Post
Hi keil i have a couple those radios in my collection and the crystal dealer i buy from is monitor crystal sevice in waukegan ill 813-432-5296 just tell him its for a bearcat and they will make em for u little pricy though 8.00 a apiece...
The last time they were on the web (at http://www.monitorcrystal.com), their phone number was 815-432-5296 in Watseka, IL (not area code 813 in Waukegan). Their website disappeared earlier this year, so they may not even be in business any more.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:59 PM

If anyone in this thread has actually purchased scanner crystals recently, I would appreciate it if you would mention where you bought from and how much they cost. I need a couple more crystals to finish off a project. I've been getting them from eBay and one or two other places with limited inventory, but there are a couple of frequencies that I haven't been able to find. Some of the previously listed places have taken down their websites and/or been marked as "closed" by Yelp reviewers. If someone has found a good source that's current, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks.

Last edited by oracavon; 04-01-2013 at 12:02 AM..
Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Police Scanner Crystals Stocked at Ken's Electronics, (Wholesale & Retail Electronic Parts) Kalamazoo, Michigan
Old 04-01-2013, 12:18 AM

Thanks. Theirs was one of the places I found with very limited inventory and none of the frequencies I need. Looks like a good place if they have what you need, though.
Old 04-01-2013, 8:58 AM

Here is where I bought mine recently: Bearcat Scanner Crystals | Bearcat III & IV By Electra Corp
Call Robert Ott, he doesn't accept credit cards. Two crystals cost me $21.00 shipped and if he doesn't have the freq's he has a source which usually takes about 2-3 weeks to get.