P25 One-Frequency Trunk vs. Conventional P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

keshalover

I live in southern Wisconsin. I am new to the scanner world. I have just purchased a Home Patrol-1 scanner and am having great difficulties with programming one of our local departments. This dept I believe is using a conventional P25 system. It only has one frequency, and uses NAC 293. I have programmed my audio to be mixed (using both analog & digital). I have tried to use each seperately as well, but to know avail. The wierd thing about this is that it will allow me to hear some but not all of the transmissions. Most of the transmissions come out garbled. I have attempted to program this dept also as a P25 one frequency only channel as well, but I get no audio when I do so. Why would I be able to only hear some of the transmissions, but the rest are garbled?? Can someone assist me in figuring this out???? I am using version 2.03. I had tried to use version 2.04, but I like the audio better from version 2.03. Neither version is able to fix the above problem. I thought that the Home Patrol was suppossed to be able to decode NAC transmissions? So far it has not worked. This is really getting me frustrated, so any help is really appreciated. Thank You!! :)

I am considering buying a BCD396XT digital scanner. Does anyone know if this would do a better job than the Home Patrol, or am I wasting my money??

Can someone also post examples of how to program a digital trunking P-25 system on Sentinel. I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

Thank you for everyones assistance with these issues. Happy Scanning!!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Keshalover, I moved your question from the Motorola forum to the Uniden forum since it doesn't have anything to do with Motorola.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Mike,

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it!! :)
Since the record function in the HomePatrol-1 makes recording audio samples quite easy, please post an example of what you mean when you say "garbled." If it is garbled due to some encryption on the channel, then nothing you can do. If it is garbled due to reception, then improving reception is the answer.

BCD996XT/BCD396XT/HomePatrol-1 have the same receive capabilities, so switching scanners isn't the answer.

W2NJS

Fastest way to find out if what you're trying to monitor is encrypted is to check the RR database listing for the agency in question. One of us would do it for you but we don't knew where in Wisconsin you are. Don't go and buy anything else until you find out more about the supposed problem, which may not be a problem at all but just an encrypted signal.

keshalover

It would be Platteville, WI area. I believe the frquency is 155.070 NAC 293 P25 Law Dispatch. Just to let you know, some transmissions are received clearly, but most are just garbled. We live close to the PD, so it should not be an issue about reception. Thanks!!

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Reception issues cannot be ruled out, as it could be due to interference, intermod, overload...

Reception issues does not just mean weak signal.

Looking forward to an audio sample.

keshalover

Audio feeds

Upman,

I have those audio feed examples for you. Please let me know where I can email them to and I will get them over to you for your review. I have some further info, but I will send with my email to you.

Thanks again for your help and assistance.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
zip 'em up and attach them to your post, here. I'm not the only ears around (and I'm going to be pretty busy the next few days, so the more potential ears, the better).

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
I will listen to them if you can attach them to your post. Looking through my files you could try 155.070 346 DPL. They could be in mixed mode.

keshalover

example files

I am attempting to send some zip files of audio that was recorded so you can hear what I have been hearing. Sometimes I hear a transmission and other times it just starts out garbled then totally goes mute. I have additional zip files to share, but apparently they are too big because it won't allow me to upload them on here. If anyone can assist just send me your email and I can send them. Thanks

Attachments

• HP files.zip
    68.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

The first two clips sounded like normal digital transmissions.

The rest had no audio whatsoever.

N8IAA

If you are using the antenna that came with the scanner, it may not have enough gain to hear the signal from the mobile. It is a conventional P-25 frequency. They may use it as a simplex frequency for close in car to car contact. You may want to ask in the Wisconsin state forum for a more informed answer. But try an external antenna that has more gain.
HTH,
Larry

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
In my experience the ones with the chirps of noise at the beginning are encrypted signals - the radio starts playing the signal before deciding it's encrypted and then muting it. However on my HP1 the recorded file is typically quite short, not on the order of a dozen seconds long (it almost always resumes scanning immediately - which makes it difficult for me to pause on the encrypted channel to set its avoid state). As an example I believe the one from 19-23-47 is clearly encrypted in nature. The two around it (19-23-44 and 19-23-52) are unencrypted calls. The first one in the same folder, 19-23-12, is also encrypted.

I don't have any recorded encrypted comms from my own radio right now or I'd post them for comparison.

keshalover

Rapidcharger,
Yes, this is exactly how my transmissions are sounding except for the couple that I am able to receive. It doesn't sound like any radio will ever be able to pick them up. At least we tried. :)

rapidcharger

Rapidcharger,
Yes, this is exactly how my transmissions are sounding except for the couple that I am able to receive. It doesn't sound like any radio will ever be able to pick them up. At least we tried. :)

It's possible for just some transmissions to be encrypted and not all of it.

I'm sorry that the agency you want to listen to is hiding.
I've been urging people to peacefully protest and attend the meetings on this forum but not only does nobody go to the meeting, the DTRS and encryption fan club shows up and I end up getting in trouble from the moderators. It's really no wonder why I'm the only one here complaining. It was a nice hobby while it lasted.

Supersmt

Premium Subscriber
It's possible for just some transmissions to be encrypted and not all of it.

I'm sorry that the agency you want to listen to is hiding.
I've been urging people to peacefully protest and attend the meetings on this forum but not only does nobody go to the meeting, the DTRS and encryption fan club shows up and I end up getting in trouble from the moderators. It's really no wonder why I'm the only one here complaining. It was a nice hobby while it lasted.

I had no idea there were any kind of organized protests to public service agencies using encrypted radio communications. My guess is that plenty of people are upset about it, I don't like it either.

IMHO, there is much more at stake than just infringement on hobbyists.

Who do we complain to though, the FCC?

What kind of protests have been staged so far, and how effective have they been?

Status
Not open for further replies.