996XT + tower signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Hey Guys & Ladies,

I'm seeing a small issue with the local county P25 system it's not in use. Last week I was able to pick up full signal from the tower where the P25 system is located at. Now, my 996XT isn't picking up any signal from the tower once I pick it up two to three bars then it fades away. I re programmed the radio to see if it would fix the issue and it didn't solve the issue. I tried driving around town and couldn't get any signal. Not sure what the issue could be I don't have a outside/indoor antenna I have the R/S 800mhz antenna and able to pick up the EDACS and another P25 system.

Any idea?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking this could be one of two issues. One is something has happened to the system itself, the other is a radio problem.

Some times trunked radio systems change control channels. You may wish to program all of the frequencies associated with this system, just to be sure there has been no control channel change.

The other is your scanning is acting up. Have you tried doing a weather search to see if it is receiving any of the NOAA channels? This can be helpful to determine whether your radio is receiving.

I had the misfortune a while back of blowing the receiver in a scanner because I had a transmitter a little too close to the scanner. I sent it back to Uniden and got it fixed and all is well.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I just did the scan for weather option you told me to try and it picks up the weather with full strength. Since I am able to pick up the local Air Force Base P25 system with no problems I am thinking something happen to the to the P25 system/tower I am having a issue with.

I'm thinking this could be one of two issues. One is something has happened to the system itself, the other is a radio problem.

Some times trunked radio systems change control channels. You may wish to program all of the frequencies associated with this system, just to be sure there has been no control channel change.

The other is your scanning is acting up. Have you tried doing a weather search to see if it is receiving any of the NOAA channels? This can be helpful to determine whether your radio is receiving.

I had the misfortune a while back of blowing the receiver in a scanner because I had a transmitter a little too close to the scanner. I sent it back to Uniden and got it fixed and all is well.

kayleesdad

i dunno. still getting three bars out here. i can make the signal go away if I set the squelch too high, or turn on the site attenuator, or lock out the cc frequency. the signal bars do blink every second, but the xt identifies the system 032Dh-0101 as soon as i hit hold. interference? lower signal power? can you move closer to the tower, or try a yagi antenna? I've always had to use a yagi for that system from here. i sometimes try a factory reset as a last resort and program in just the target system...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The good news is that your scanner is working. So it seems more like a programming issue with that specific system. You may try erasing it and re-programming it. Presuming you have programming software, it shouldn't be too great of a challenge.

Something else you might try for diagnostic purposes. Create a new CONVENTIONAL system (not trunked) for the system that you are having trouble with. Program in all of the frequencies as conventional channels and start scanning it.

Hopefully the scanner will lock in on the control channel and you'll hear the noise associated with the control channel. That will be the first indication you are receiving the system. Then hit the lock-out button to lock out the control channel.

Continue to monitor the system for voice transmissions. You won't be trunk tracking them. That will give you the comfort that your scanner can hear the system where you are.

Once you get to that point, it's a case of figuring out what settings to change on what you have programmed in the trunked system.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
i dunno. still getting three bars out here. i can make the signal go away if I set the squelch too high, or turn on the site attenuator, or lock out the cc frequency. the signal bars do blink every second, but the xt identifies the system 032Dh-0101 as soon as i hit hold. interference? lower signal power? can you move closer to the tower, or try a yagi antenna? I've always had to use a yagi for that system from here. i sometimes try a factory reset as a last resort and program in just the target system...

I tried factory reset already haven't solved the problem. I went towards Plant City and the signal had full strength. I tried re programming via software (ProScan) and programming via Scanner didn't solve it either. Maybe interference or low signal power. I just don't understand how some areas it works and some places like where I live it doesn't pick up signal like it use to.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
The good news is that your scanner is working. So it seems more like a programming issue with that specific system. You may try erasing it and re-programming it. Presuming you have programming software, it shouldn't be too great of a challenge.

Something else you might try for diagnostic purposes. Create a new CONVENTIONAL system (not trunked) for the system that you are having trouble with. Program in all of the frequencies as conventional channels and start scanning it.

Hopefully the scanner will lock in on the control channel and you'll hear the noise associated with the control channel. That will be the first indication you are receiving the system. Then hit the lock-out button to lock out the control channel.

Continue to monitor the system for voice transmissions. You won't be trunk tracking them. That will give you the comfort that your scanner can hear the system where you are.

Once you get to that point, it's a case of figuring out what settings to change on what you have programmed in the trunked system.

I tried programming the system by hand and no signal what's so ever. The system is not in use yet so no officers are using it. I'm fixing to upload the file maybe I over looked the programming file.

- Jamie

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Here's the file...The system I am having problem with is the HCSO one

Attachments

• P25.txt
    28.3 KB · Views: 102

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for attaching the file, which I looked at. First a big disclaimer: I'm in Kentucky and have no specific knowledge of the Hillsborough County Systems.

I did some tinkering around with my ARC XT programming software and the RR database. It looks like there may be two systems in Hillsborough County. One is an EDACS system and another, which appears to be a new system that is a P25 system.

I don't think you can "mix and match" EDACS and P25 in 996XT scanners, as it appears you have done, if I'm reading your file correctly. EDACS systems work much differently than P25 systems.

So having the frequencies associated with the P25 in the same system as the EDACS may be giving your scanner a fit. You might try removing the P25 site/frequencies and see what happens.

Or, since you are using programming software, dump the whole thing and start from scratch. When you do, be sure that you download these systems as two independent things. One would be the EDACS system. The second download would be that new P25 system.

One other thing to check is whether the attenuator for the site(s) is on. Attenuating a site has the effect of dampening the incoming signal.

If this doesn't help

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I tried doing a new list to see if it worked or not and still having the same issue..I am picking up signal from the tower now but not picking up the frequency it normally picks up. I just made a purchase from Scanner Master which is the TerraWave 700-800mhz 10db Yagi directional antenna. So I am hoping this solves the issue.

JTR604

996XT + Tower signal

I don't have a 996XT but I own a home patrol and was having what sounds like the same issues after some research and trying diffrent antennas I found that I had to find a sweet spot/location to be able to pick up a P-25 sytem in the area I was wanting to recieve. Also I purchased an antenna off ebay that gains 3db and is about the right length. Type in home patrol antennas and you should find what I am talking about if you can't find the antenna on there PM and I will sent you the link. Hope this helps.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Just finished installing the Yagi antenna just afternoon and so far it fixed the tower signal issue. Not sure what caused the problem but its solved, I can hear distant ham radio repeaters and can even pick up the local EDAC's system perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.