BCD396XT or BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Both radios have the same guts- one is a handheld one is a base. It all depends on your scanning. I like handhelds because they can be used anywhere. You will have the same issues with antennas whether you select base or handheld.

For my money handhelds are the way to go- much more versatile. I have a 396XT sitting on my desk and it works very well for my needs.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
I agree with trap5858 - the handheld version makes the transition from base to mobile in a matter of seconds and will serve you well.

My 396T is constantly being moved from apartment to car to work vehicle and back again and it's been doing so since 2006 - I'm certainly getting my moneys worth from it.

Russell

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, unless your computer has a serial port the cable is just about useless. You may be able to get away with buying a serial to USB adapter but the "official" USB cable is an "optional" accessory that has to be purchased separately.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
BC396XT vs. BC996XT

I agree with the previous posts regarding the versatility of the handheld version. You can carry it anywhere and also pair it with the RH-96 remote kit and give it added enhancement. IF, however, you want to use it most of the time in a mobile environment, I would HIGHLY recommend the BC996XT. The audio port for the handheld is designed for an ear bud or headphones and consequently, the audio volume is diminished. On the other hand, the BC996XT is truly designed as a base or mobile scanner and has far stronger audio output. In fact, you will have to be careful to keep the audio set in the 6-10 range or it will be too much, even with an external speaker. I just installed my BC996XT in my Jeep this week and mounted a land mobile external speaker above the drivers door so I could hear it easily without being told to turn it down :)-) ). BOTTOM LINE - there is no single answer - it just depends on how you plan to use it, where you need the scanner, and to what it extent the volume issue is critical.

You can always purchase both.........

Metrofire31
Atlanta
WQIT636

bear780ks

Well trx680 i have a 396 and as the other Guys mentioned i take mine every were I go sometime when i Go should i mention that :roll: :D). But i wanted a second radio for my Home base and that's why i'm going to get a 996 for using it as a Home base Scanner it will allow me to either use it at the same time as i'm using my 396 to Monitor other traffic or shut down my 396 to conserve the batteries use And use it only when i go Mobile..

One other thing I'll mention and i'm not trying to scare you away from it you have to have lots of patients with this Radio it can be pleasing to use one minute and the next minute you'd swear the best place for it is up against the Wall and i love this Radio allot.

What's helped me adjust to this Scanner is my 20 + years of Scanning I'm not too afraid of the weird things it might emit however I have on occasion said what the Hell was that when one of our Officers City or Sheriff or a KHP goes digital in our Area and the radio makes a sound that i swear is worse than what a Donkey would emit.

But even though I mentioned a few little Quarks it might do every now and then). It will be one of Best little pieces of Equipment you could ever Own and with it being Portable it's Great were ever you Go..

Let us Know what you choose.. Ra :)

Last edited:

trx680

well, I'm not really going to be taking it in my car that often so theres no point in mounting the 996 in my lil toyota yaris, not enough room in there anyway. And I dont drive my suburban that often so that one is out too.
The main reason for the 996 would be to set it on the end table beside the recliner where I'll be using it the most. It sits nice and flat compared the the 396 handheld that stands up and might fall over.
I need a cradle to set it in to keep it from falling.

bear780ks

Was that the 996 or the 396

Trx680.. From the way i read your 9:32 Pm post Shouldn't the one that followed it read (( 996 Ordered ;) instead of 396 just having a laugh with ya but at the same time was just making sure :D

Enjoy the Scanning:. Ra :)

Last edited:

trx680

I was leaning towards the 996 but the mobility of the 396 might be my best bet. In the early 90s I had handhelds.
Anyway, got the email just now, my 396 has been shipped.

Uniden should be announcing any minute now their new, latest, greatest, 997 and 397 models to hit stores any day now...lol

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
well, I'm not really going to be taking it in my car that often so theres no point in mounting the 996 in my lil toyota yaris, not enough room in there anyway. And I dont drive my suburban that often so that one is out too.
The main reason for the 996 would be to set it on the end table beside the recliner where I'll be using it the most. It sits nice and flat compared the the 396 handheld that stands up and might fall over. I need a cradle to set it in to keep it from falling.

Sometimes I'll use a bent back bookend (wow, say that ten times fast LOL!!) to hold my handhelds. I just slip the belt clip over the top of the bookend and I'm all set. Much less chance of it falling over if the table, or whatever it's sitting on, gets bumped.

If you want to get an idea of how it looks, you can see in a couple of my shack pictures that I have my PSR-800 "clipped" to a bookend.

:)

Last edited:

bear780ks

Hey Guys when i go places my 396 is with me it sets in this what i got pictured below it's a Rubbermaid Travel Pouch you can find them in the Auto Section of your Local Walmart for 5 to 6 bucks they have extra accessories in with the pouch.. I have Second picture of another pouch i use while the 396 is in our Truck i got that pouch at Auto Zone I forgot to add in the Rubbermaid i put a Rubber Beer Koosie in it to help keep the Rubbermaid from collapsing.. You can see it in the bottom picture)

When i'm scanning at Home my 396 is always in the Rubbermaid the Wider bottom of it Helps Allot.. on all surfaces..

Attachments

• 396 in Rubbermaid - Bear Koosie.jpg
    396 in Rubbermaid - Bear Koosie.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 969
  • 396xt in His Pouch.jpg
    396xt in His Pouch.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Beer Koosie in Rubbemaid.jpg
    Beer Koosie in Rubbemaid.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Hey Guys when i go places my 396 is with me it sets in this what i got pictured below it's a Rubbermaid Travel Pouch you can find them in the Auto Section of your Local Walmart for 5 to 6 bucks they have extra accessories in with the pouch.. I have Second picture of another pouch i use while the 396 is in our Truck i got that pouch at Auto Zone I forgot to add in the Rubbermaid i put a Rubber Beer Koosie in it to help keep the Rubbermaid from collapsing.. You can see it in the bottom picture)

When i'm scanning at Home my 396 is always in the Rubbermaid the Wider bottom of it Helps Allot.. on all surfaces..

awesome pics-thanks im going to buy two of these one for home and one for my car- ill just have to find a couple of beer koosies-great idea I see you have the same exact antenna as I do--it works great for a radio shack antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.