BCD396XT programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsowle50

Premium Subscriber
I got this scanner all messed up and none of my old police channels are working. How can I download a new program with new channels in it? Is there some where I can go to have it done? I had it done when a got it at Jerrys cb but I think they closed down. Help

Thank you

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That would be ARC-XT, not ARC-396, since the OT said he has a 396XT...

To expand a little on rty's response...

These radios don't work the same way as old 'bank driven' scanners do. The user is responsible for alloting systems, sites and groups from a pool of available memory. Before you do anything, it would be a very good idea to sit down with the Easier to Read manual and go through it a couple of times. We also have several article linked in the following (all links are blue) to help, particularly with trunking, which is where many newcomers get tripped up

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

You can also ask in your state's forum (where are you -county/state is fine) for a file. Be sure to be specific about the software you're using - not all formats can be imported

Mike

zsowle50

Premium Subscriber
Ok guys I have to computer all hooked up to scanner and works with free scan. Now how do I get the frequencys in my town into the scanner? Do I have to pay for a membership to do this?

dshafer1

Premium Subscriber
Ok guys I have to computer all hooked up to scanner and works with free scan. Now how do I get the frequencys in my town into the scanner? Do I have to pay for a membership to do this?
Yes, You will need a premium subscription.

Blackink

I think if you read up on the EZGrab part in FreeScan, you'll find you don't need a premium subscription to get the frequencies into your scanner via FreeScan, but with all the good references and support available here at RadioReference.com, getting a premium subscription in the near future will be money well spent and for a good cause too.

zsowle50

Premium Subscriber
ok well I got what i needed with a subscription but now all of it is lumped together. How do I split it into banks now??

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Short answer: you don't

DMA scanners don't use banks - you create systems, sites and groups from a common pool of memory. The Easier to Read guide is the place to start - the link for which is at the bottom of...

along with many other links you will find useful, such as the explanation of trunking, and our popular DMA FAQ

Another way to go is to go to your state's forum (where are you/ County/state is fine...) and ask for a FreeScan file formatted for a 396XT for your area. Without knowing where you are, it's nearly impossible to assist you further with this.

HTH...Mike

dshafer1

Premium Subscriber
ok well I got what i needed with a subscription but now all of it is lumped together. How do I split it into banks now??

That would be ARC-XT, not ARC-396, since the OT said he has a 396XT...

To expand a little on rty's response...

These radios don't work the same way as old 'bank driven' scanners do. The user is responsible for alloting systems, sites and groups from a pool of available memory. Before you do anything, it would be a very good idea to sit down with the Easier to Read manual and go through it a couple of times. We also have several article linked in the following (all links are blue) to help, particularly with trunking, which is where many newcomers get tripped up

You can also ask in your state's forum (where are you -county/state is fine) for a file. Be sure to be specific about the software you're using - not all formats can be imported

Mike
Do what this gentleman suggested and read the Easier to Read manual for the BCD396XT. Google it.

Blackink

Well, I don't own a digital Uniden scanner but I do own a Uniden scanner with DMA (which means "banks" are not used in the sense you're thinking of).
Here's a couple of links you should read up on and see if it helps. You have a boatload of a scanner to learn about so getting to understand some of the dynamics and workings of it might help you understand it a bit better. Good Luck.
Programming your Uniden Scanner
Easier to Read Manual for the BCD396XT

Looks like the pros responded while I was typing my response. Take their advice and take your time to better understand your scanner. You'll be glad you did in the end. And don't be afraid about uploading the frequencies via FreeScan yourself. You won't break it, it won't cost you anything now that you've gotten the Premium Subscription, and the more you do it, the more you'll understand your scanner.

Last edited:

zsowle50

Premium Subscriber
Ok I live in toledo ohio. When I got the scanner the countys where all on banks 1 - 10 like toledo was on number one so I could hit one and toledo was all i got. Now I dont have 1 -10. I hit the number and the scanner does nothing at all. just scans the big lump. Thanks for your help guys all most there.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No need to Google anything - all the links, including the ones to the Easier to Read manuals - are included in the article whose link I gave earlier

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.