Conventional scanning problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahoekid77

Premium Subscriber
I'm using a BCT15X and in one system, I have just 1 frequency programmed for CHP. So it's not actually scanning. I even press the hold button when I get a hit - though in theory it should not matter.

In either case (pressing hold or not), I still miss parts of conversations. That is, the first part. I might be getting crystal clear reception from both dispatch and patrol unit, but I get misses on the front end of the replies, as if it were still internally scanning for something else. I'm not sure what the radio is doing, but it should be parked on that channel.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that CHP uses repeaters, and perhaps it is getting messed up when the reply comes over a different repeater. Not sure there is anything I can do about it, or is there something I could do with setting HOLD and or DELAY times? Maybe set both to 10 seconds?

I am in experimentation mode now, but thought I'd see if anyone has an idea.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you allocate a system and group for this frequency, and a quick key for both?

Mike

tahoekid77

Premium Subscriber
It is one system which is allocated a system quick key, one group that contains one frequency. I don't use group quick keys in my setup. Again, this still happens when HOLD is activated, and I dial down the squelch to zero.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Not familiar with that particular radio but if applicable

Weather Alert or a Priority channel - even a blank priority.

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
I found these in another thread. http://forums.radioreference.com/un...ng-first-part-transmission-2.html#post1578122

I just found this thread doing a search.

My 396XT is front clipping and chopping out conversations. Sometimes even misses 2 units calling each other if the other one answers before the repeater delay shuts off. Mainly noticeable on two particular conventional frequencies. The worst of the two is 460.200 a UHF frequency. The other is 154.980.

Here is what I found...at least on my receiver.

After playing around with all the different possible settings (and combinations thereof) concerning AGC, delay, hold, modulation, priorities, etc etc etc...I narrowed it down.

With my old Relm HS200 sitting next to me and noticing what all I was missing through the 396XT. I decided there was only one thing in common between the two scanners that was so obvious. The CTCSS setting.

On the 396XT channel setting is "Set Audio Type" and of course when using CTCSS at least in this circumstance you select "Analog Only" and then set the proper tone.

If you select "All" it negates CTCSS (I think the term is clear squelch?) and therefore I have no choppy audio coming through. Clear as can be. But then I get the annoying squelch-tail sound. The agency using this frequency luckily doesn't have any other agencies bleeding over or sharing the channel, so I will settle with the "All" setting on this frequency.

As a previous entry on this thread noted...You may not ever notice it without another scanner monitoring on the same channel.

This problem bothered me for days. Trying to figure out what the deal is. Perhaps this is a software or patch issue with the radios. Since I'm not the only one?

Hope this helps someone else who may be having this issue.
MFD169, I have had three Uniden scanners (BCT15, 346XT, 996XT) and all of them are painfully slow to decode CTCSS/DCS, but none of them ever "chopped" the audio. You probably have the modulation set to Narrowband FM (NFM) when the agencies you are trying to monitor are still Wideband FM (FM).

You may also want to set your audio type to Analog --> Search. This will disable the P25 wait time (default 400ms) that is added to channels with the audio type set to All.

I don't know what it is with Unidens, but they are all slower to decode subaudible tones than any of my Icom, Motorola and especially GRE radios. This somehow seems to get compounded when scanning, taking much longer to open up than when set to carrier squelch (CSQ). It also makes priority scan almost useless since Uniden (and GRE) for some reason requires CTCSS/DCS decode before unmuting after the priority sample, leaving a large "hole" in the audio.

I ended up creating two different systems in my Uniden radios, one with CTCSS and one CSQ. I leave the CSQ system on as long as possible, then switch over to the CTCSS system when interference gets bad enough.

tahoekid77

Premium Subscriber
Unidens can be slow to decode CTCSS tones. Try removing the tone setting (none or search) and setting the squelch appropriately.

That was it. Removed the tone settings and no longer get the misses... "well spotted" as the British would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.