Squelch

Do you want your Squelch knob back?

• YES please give me my Squelch knob back!

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • NO I do not want a Squelch knob

Votes: 17 36.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ke4wkp

I was just thinking. Am I the only one who wants their separate Squelch knob back?? I really miss being able to adjust squelch easily on the fly. It just seems like one of those controls that you should not have to push buttons to access. What do you all think??

Last edited:

ampulman

I have a 396T where the only time I need to adjust the squelch is when (I think) I'm on an open carrier or birdie.

On the other hand, I find I have to tweak the squelch on my PRO=106 frequently, especially when turning it on.

I can take it either way. Might want to add a 3rd option: No preference.

Amp

Last edited:

SquierStrat

With 95% of my listening being analog conventional, i would LOVE to have a separate squelch knob. Nothing aggravates me more then a distant signal just barely breaking through, and i cant IMMEDIATELY turn the squelch down, without going through a sequence

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
There are so many settings, knobs, etc that you access once in a blue moon, these should be in a separate place on the scanner, perhaps under a lid on top that you pop up. Controls that you use often during use, like the squelch, lockouts, scan, hold, band and talkgroups to activete/de-activate to name a few should be on the front of the device available for ready access. Having to hit two buttons like on a 396 or 996 to get to many of these alternate functions is not what I'd vote for if given a say in design.

ke4wkp

Cmon I know there are more than 23 people on these forums So far it is just shy of 2:1 ratio. Interesting.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Even on my scanners with the squelch knob, I rarely use it. I find that the squelch is one of those "set it and forget it" options. I don't have the need to constantly adjust it one way or the other. But, I can see where it may be a useful item depending on where you're located and what types of systems you are receiving.

Interesting question! Thanks, ke4wkp, for setting up the poll.

Russell

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
What is a monitor button?
I use the squelch to set volume level. Back it off, hear the hiss, set the volume, tighten it back up. If there is a better way when listening to relatively quiet frequencies and talkgroups I'm all ears.

SquierStrat

A monitor button would be nice! I suggested that in the "what you want in the next uniden thread". Well, i suggested a multi-purpose button with "monitor" being one of the options. With a monitor button, the squelch knob issue wouldnt be a problem for me anymore

Pressing the monitor button is the same as instantly turning the squelch to 0. It opens the squelch completely

Last edited:

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
Pressing the monitor button is the same as instantly turning the squelch to 0. It opens the squelch completely

On Kenwood radios, it cancels any CTCSS/DCS tones programmed for the channel so you hear any transmission. They have a separate button to open the squelch (squelch off).

SquierStrat

On Kenwood radios, it cancels any CTCSS/DCS tones programmed for the channel so you hear any transmission. They have a separate button to open the squelch (squelch off).

Hmm, now you've got me wondering.. I have the monitor button programmed on all 4 of my motorola radios. On 3 of the 4 it does what i described above, but on the 4th, when i sent it off to be progammed, and requested the monitor feature, it came back doing what you describe above. When i asked the person who programmed it about that, he wasnt sure why it doesnt act like the other 3, and didnt know anything beyond that. (but for $25, shipping included, it didnt bother me that much)

Back on topic, the "monitor" that i have in mind, the one i would like to see in a scanner, is the one i mentioned above

Last edited:

ke4wkp

My BCT15x has a separate squelch knob but I find I don't adjust it, just set it and forget it.

You know that is the interesting thing. I don't really see much use for it in a base scanner except if used mobile. If you are mobile and you have some interference or static breaks the squelch. You can just reach over and turn up the squelch. You don't really need that on a base scanner. It seems like a mobile or handheld scanner would make the best use of a squelch knob. That is the biggest reason for my wanting it back.

rcool101

Feed Provider
LOSE IT

The only time I've used it in the last 10 yrs was when I've turned it by mistake. Lose it

Blackink

The only time I've used it in the last 10 yrs was when I've turned it by mistake. Lose it

Yup.....I've done that before too....turned it by mistake.

Probably makes sense to have it more accessible on a mobile scanner rather than a base scanner.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I guess that I'm somewhat of a `traditionalist' in that I tend to prefer both `analog' `knob' type volume and squelch controls over `digital' `pushbutton' versions. Having said that I've found that with volume controls I can more easily live with the constraints of the `fixed steps' that using buttons, or sometimes knobs that are actually just switches that one occasionally runs across, VS a similar setup used for squelch controls. I suspect that it has a lot to do with how one `hears' changes in volume overall.

With a squelch control it isn't `how' one hears it is more about finding that particular point where desired signals are actually `sensed' by the receiver. Something that can be a difference considerably less, signal strength wise, than what can be perceived by the human ear no matter how good one's hearing may be. (Think about how many times one has basically `just stroked' the squelch control making a setting change. Unless one is trying to make a volume change in an attempt to get that last miniscule increase in volume pushing towards getting the most signal on some kind of recording that one is trying for the broadest `range' for some sort of `fidelity's sake' a volume control can be `stepped'.) Still, being the `Olde Fart' that I am I think I'll always prefer having *both* my squelch and volume controls be `analog' knobs. {WAN GRIN!} Besides, `hearing' is *not* digital no matter how much it seems some people would like or make it be.

lotsofradios

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If it does not have squelch I would not buy it.

85% of my listening is Military Aircraft (UHF), 10% Civil Air (VHF), 4.9% searching for unknown signals and 0.1% FM.

When military listening the squelch is a valuable tool, especially when you are searching and your scanner just got a weak hit on a new frequency. With Milair some of the signals are too weak to trip the squelch. When trying to ID a new frequency and some of the transmissions are weak the ability to open the squelch is very important..

It is a must have for me. Hard to believe but I probably use my squelch almost as much as the volume control.

What will manufactures try to make a menu function next? The Volume?

kirk5056

Premium Subscriber
I used to wish for a squelch knob but I read the forums and reprogramed like this:

1) use PL, DPL and NAC codes when I could find them.
2) non code feqs I turn on attenuator, this pretty much limits distant signals.

Now I rarely get squelch noise that I need a button to get rid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.