Using Group Quick Keys....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

Am I using the Group Quick Key function to turn them on or off correctly?

This is what I'm doing, info is from the Uniden Wiki site:
To use a GQK
Enter Scan mode.
Go to the system that contains the channel group you want to enable or disable.
Tap FUNCTION , then tap the number key that matches the GQK. (For example, if the GQK is 7 , enter FUNCTION / 7.)

So my scanner is in "scan mode"(it is scanning the 4 systems I have programmed in my scanner). I have to be pretty darn quick to tap the "Function" button to get my scanner to stop on the System that I want to activate/deactivate a Group Quick Key on.
Once I'm on the correct System after tapping the function button, then I just press whatever number is associated with the group I'm trying to "turn on or off"

Is there an easier way to get to the System that has the group in it that I want to activate/deactivate using a GQK while my scanner is "scanning"?
The second step in the above instructions I'm not clear on:Go to the system that contains the channel group you want to enable or disable., how do I "go to the system" if my scanner is scanning those Systems already.
Pressing the "Hold" button is as much as a crap shoot for me as far as getting to the System that has the Group in it that I want to use a quick key on.

I'm sure there's an easier way, I just haven't figured it out and I need your help.......Thanks

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Don't tap the function button, hold it in until it beeps twice. It will hold on the system it was scanning when you pressed it. Then choose your groups and press function again to resume scanning.

I also Highly Recommend the Easier-to-Read Manuals from Mark's Scanners.

Last edited:

Blackink

I tried that too W8RMH, I don't have any better luck landing on the System I want to make adjustments to.
I bet it's easier when the System has many frequencies programmed into it but I have 4 Systems with 92 frequencies, it doesn't take long to scan through those Systems. A second to a half second tops per each System.

And I happened to be reading through the Easier to Read Manual when I got your email.
I find reading through it sometimes help me remember things or gives me a better understanding of the different parts to my scanner.

Thanks.

Edit: I see it mentions scrolling to the System I want after pressing the Function button in until it beeps twice.
That solved my problem.
Thanks again

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you miss the target system, you have to scroll. If you hit F while the target system is still active, you don't. Just depends on timing.

You don't have to hold F to "latch" the F function to do the scrolling. As long as you start scrolling while F is still active after the tap, it will retain the F functionality.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Related to this...is there a way to display Group Names when deciding when to toggle a GQK on/off? For example, on a new System I just programmed, with many groups...I can't remember which group is number "4". I'd like to see the name.

So I do this: I break from scanning, then edit the System, then Group, to see the GQK #. Then resume scanning, and enable that GQK.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
You can add the GQK number to the Alpha Tag. I do this with all my systems/sites.
Thanks for the tip. I added the QK number to my systems and sites.

And I also added the GQK number to my Group alpha tags. But I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

There's still no way to preview the group alpha tag BEFORE you turn it on. It seems that I have to enable a group, then wait for a hit to confirm if that's the group I wanted. The number basically serves to reinforce your memory over time...correct?

DJ88

There's still no way to preview the group alpha tag BEFORE you turn it on. It seems that I have to enable a group, then wait for a hit to confirm if that's the group I wanted. The number basically serves to reinforce your memory over time...correct?

I made lists of all of my systems and groups, with the QK numbers, using Microsoft Office Word (used Font Size 9) and taped them to the tops of my 996T and 15X. There's plenty of room on each one. I did the same for my 396T but keep that list in my wallet as there isn't much room on the back of the unit. If you have a short list it may fit on the back of a hand held unit but I have a lot of systems and groups programmed.

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
Here is sort of a related question, how do you select a group that has quick key greater than 9 ? I've got a group on QK10 (according to free scan), how do I select it? I tried pushing 10, but it selects the first QK (1) but doesn't accept the second digit (0).

Blackink

Here is sort of a related question, how do you select a group that has quick key greater than 9 ? I've got a group on QK10 (according to free scan), how do I select it? I tried pushing 10, but it selects the first QK (1) but doesn't accept the second digit (0).

Are you sure that the quick key isn't assigned to a System instead of a Group? Group quick keys range from 0-9 but System quick keys can go as high as 99.
Here's a link that explains Quick Keys:QuickKeys < UnidenMan4 < TWiki.

And here is a part of that link explaining how to use quick keys 10-99:

To use SQK 10 through 99
Enter Scan mode.
Tap the decimal point ( ./NO ), then enter the SQK. (For example, if the SQK is 32 , enter ./NO / 32.)
Any systems, sites, or search ranges assigned to this SQK become disabled. (If they were already disabled, they become enabled.).

Status
Not open for further replies.