RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 5:21 PM

There is good reason to retain the serial connection. USB is not universal in the sense of why it is on Uniden Scanners.

What Do You Want In The Next Uniden?

Quote:

"Serial port is required for GPS-enabled operation. I don't see us giving up that capability in future models."

It is not reasonably possible to make the scanner into a host device that would communicate with USB GPS devices, that's why it is a serial connection and Uniden sells a cable to connect the scanner via USB and I am happy that I do not have to buy it since I have no issue with 5 dollar adapters that do the exact same thing. Every computer I own has one and they all work perfect.
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2013, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5YBZ View Post
....Do you have to install a driver when you use the USB adapter with the serial cable?....
In most cases yes. Be sure to install the driver before plugging in the adapter.
Old 09-10-2013, 6:05 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhite View Post
Serial is and has been dead; it has long been time to move on. Serial out, USB in.
That could not be further from the truth. You dont work around automated machinery, do you?

Last edited by SquierStrat; 09-10-2013 at 6:07 PM..
Old 09-11-2013, 11:58 AM

Yes, I do.
We are not talking about automated machinery.
The objective is to or should be to facilitate a connection from the purchaser's modern scanner to his/her modern PC which has no serial port.
If an adapter is going to be required to go to the only available port, USB, then either the adapter should come with the scanner or the adapter should be incorporated into the cable so that the user can work thru the USB connection.
Several people have mentioned the adapters being $5, I must be looking in the wrong place, the ones I came across were significantly more and worse after S&H.

David, I'd be curious what % of owners use the gps capabilities of their scanner. I'd guess the % on RR.com using would be much higher than the general population of listeners.

Bottomline, the devices need to be able to talk to today's PCs without adapting whether for gps, programming, whatever.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do.
The objective is to or should be to facilitate a connection from the purchaser's modern scanner to his/her modern PC which has no serial port.
If an adapter is going to be required to go to the only available port, USB, then either the adapter should come with the scanner or the adapter should be incorporated into the cable so that the user can work thru the USB connection.
Several people have mentioned the adapters being $5, I must be looking in the wrong place, the ones I came across were significantly more and worse after S&H.

David, I'd be curious what % of owners use the gps capabilities of their scanner. I'd guess the % on RR.com using would be much higher than the general population of listeners.

Bottomline, the devices need to be able to talk to today's PCs without adapting whether for gps, programming, whatever.
Start here, they start at 1.94

serial usb adapter | eBay

If you really want a modern PC with a serial port you can buy one, just shop around, laptops and desktops are available.

The USB-1 cable does have the adapter built in. I am glad they did not include it and make me pay more for the scanner and a cable I did not need.

The percentage of people that actually use the GPS feature is not particularly relevant, if the feature is there you need to give a way to hook up the GPS for whatever portion of users want it. You can't take away the serial connection for this reason. It is easy and cheap to solve the PC connectivity. The objective is to facilitate all users, not just people with USB only computers. That has been done with the USB-1 and many have found a cheap, easy way to do it without the USB-1.
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2013, 1:04 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Yes, I do.

I agree completely, a multi-hundred dollar device should AT LEAST come with a $10 adapter so it can be used on any modern PC. Youve got my full support there.

But i stand by my original statement. You said "serial is and has been dead", which you should know (since you work around automated machines) is not even close to the truth..
Old 09-11-2013, 2:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Our locomotives use serial as does the radios for programming on board, so we wouldn't say serial is dead. We recently ran out of stock on laptops with serial connectors, and have gone to a PCMCIA to serial adapter. They are expensive compared to USB but seem to work.
Old 09-11-2013, 7:00 PM

Its time for Uniden to come out with a scanner that either has an ethernet port or wifi and have a built in web interface to interact with and program it. With a web interface, you eliminate, for the most part, the problem of end users having different operating systems. Could even work with mobile devices.
Old 09-11-2013, 8:26 PM

Ok, I said I was finished, but, since several folks are quoting me with the "serial is dead" statement. I will modify that, dead in the sense of home user PC communication to other devices normally found around the home. I'm sure, as several have cited, that there are many industrial serial applications.
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2013, 6:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

you say "dead" ? I myself have two computers for dos programming ( motorola gear ) also have another for CPS programming ( still uses serial port and also usb ) and I also have an up to date computer that did not have a serial port. So I bought a PCI serial port card ( bought from newegg for 5.95) , 5 minutes later my computer has a serial port. I know several people as well that still have old computers that have serial ports. Not everyone has modern pc's at home ya know You really shouldnt shoot down Uniden because of something so Minor. Uniden is by far the best... the best there is , the best there was and the best there ever will be.

Good Day,

Uniden fan
Old 09-12-2013, 12:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I still find it disappointing that the USB-1 cable isn't the cable supplied with the scanner. It's like buying a brand new car and the first stop after the dealership is Pep Boys to put proper tires on it.

I've got a feeling that the decision to stick with the serial cable in the box and have the USB-1 as an "optional" purchase was made in the accounting department, not engineering.
Old 09-12-2013, 1:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

A few years back I bought a couple of NOS gigabyte motherboards real cheap, they still had 1 IDE interface, 1 serial port & 1 parallel and also the newer SATA & E-Sata interfaces and even USB 3.

I hope nothing ever happens to it because I can use it to do a multitude of things from checking any kind of hard drive to Programming old radios. I can boot it into Win 7, XP, or Ubuntu from the hard drive, & even DOS 6.2 from the Floppy. I keep it on the bench with the cover off because I use it so much. One good thing about a serial port is that sometimes it is easier to drag a 40 foot serial cable out to where a vehicle is parked rather than remove the radio.
Old 09-12-2013, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyFlyer View Post
....It's like buying a brand new car and the first stop after the dealership is Pep Boys to put proper tires on it....
I would describe it more like buying a new pick-up truck and running around to the back of the dealership and getting them to add a bigger trailer hitch.

You can still carry cargo around without it and hook to certain sizes of trailers, but it is not necessary, but with it you can hook to many types of trailers, and you also have the choice of going to an aftermarket place and getting it cheaper.
Old 09-12-2013, 2:32 PM

All are legit issues, and knowing that Uniden, "UPMAN" reads and also responds to this site as some others is well aware of our issues. How many other companies, business would do that, or the individual who would after finishing a days work take his personal time to respond to issues related to the product he represents ? Give it some time, I'm positive he is doing all he can to put out the best product on the market.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:57 AM

They already have a HP-1 Homepatrol that will program just by putting in a city or zip/postal code! You dont even need the web or ethernet/wifi (only to update the database)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvation View Post
Its time for Uniden to come out with a scanner that either has an ethernet port or wifi and have a built in web interface to interact with and program it. With a web interface, you eliminate, for the most part, the problem of end users having different operating systems. Could even work with mobile devices.
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2013, 7:08 PM

Why don't you try helping the guy instead of trying to make an *** out him. Who knows maybe if you start helping people you might even make some friends.
Old 10-19-2013, 7:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It would be nice if people were educated instead of jumping on Uniden for using a interface that is very much in use with lots of equipment instead of USB with is a one way dead ended interface.

And since many radios have outlived several operating system changes it would be better if they did not have a USB interface chip that will be obsoleted by the next operating system revision.

David Kb7uns
AR3k,AR5k,AR8k,AR82k,AR86k,SDU5k,SDU55k,ARD25 R10,R20,R71,R72,R75,R7k,R71k,R85k, PCR1k,PCR25k,R2500 PSR500,PSR600,PSR800 RS26,94,97,2035,2055,106,197 760xlt,245XLT, 796D,996T,996XT,396T,396XT,HP1,HP1E
Old 10-19-2013, 8:41 PM

It is so annoying. I got a 125AT recently though and was shocked to see Uniden actually put a paper manual in the box and a USB cable for power/charging and programming! Amazing. Yet with the more expensive scanners from them you still get a ancient serial cable and useless manual on the CD you have to read in a browser.
Old 10-19-2013, 9:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I am really shocked at all the serial port apologists on here.

Bwhite made an excellent point - and that is, any MODERN company that wants to increase sales would try to sell products that are mainstream. It is a silly argument to say there are still "lots of" computers and laptops out there that ONLY have serial ports, or that USB is a "dead end interface". If you mean that true controlling capabilities are lacking in a USB port then build that into the scanner - why is that not a no-brainer? I have the special Uniden cable that plugs into the tiny port on the front of my BCT15X and the other end plugs into my USB port. This is a "special" cable only because it has an inline USB/serial adapter. Tell me why Uniden cannot put that circuit INSIDE the scanner so you don't need a $40 cable? Are they going to do that on new scanners or be old-worldly and stick with SOP? All you guys with ancient computers - it's not Uniden's job (or ANYONE's job) to be backwards compatible forever just because you have dinosaurs in your shack. Sorry but I call it as I see it.

Last edited by LIScanner101; 10-19-2013 at 9:09 PM..
Old 10-19-2013, 9:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf435 View Post
It would be nice if people were educated instead of jumping on Uniden for using a interface that is very much in use with lots of equipment instead of USB with is a one way dead ended interface.

And since many radios have outlived several operating system changes it would be better if they did not have a USB interface chip that will be obsoleted by the next operating system revision.

David Kb7uns
Please tell me why I can plug my old and new phones and cameras into a total of three different laptops and desktops with three different versions of Windows and yet they all work fine?