What is uniden doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinballgov

I went looking for a new scanner and bought the 346XT the programming is horrible impossible to follow the instructions and the cable that comes with it is a female serial port for old computers what happen to using USB?????? I took the radio back and got my money back,,, wow they have dropped the ball and it looks like radio shack is dropping there line in hand held.. not sure on what radio I want I have bc125at but looking to get another, dont know what to get

BILL

phask

Premium Subscriber
There is this new device called the internet, also a really old thing - research.

AFAIK - most, if not all still use serial.

The HP-1 uses USB.

346 came out in 2009 - look for something newer :)

aharry

USB to serial cables are ultra cheap anymore, Radio Shack is discontinuing their scanners because their main supplier GRE is out of business.

bbrasmussen

The 346XT is a great scanner. I've had mine for a couple of years and love it. The serial is easy to use for program. Go get a $10 USB to serial adapter.

Programming is easy. I use ProScan but I've heard good things about FreeScan as well as others. A subscription to RadioReference allows you to easily download the frequencies and systems you want to monitor. The software allows for set up and organization of your scanner. A little bit of reading and you're enjoying your product.

Uniden has made a great product, and I look forward to seeing what new scanners they make in the future.

mkewman

Dude. A serial port is scaring you off from a scanner? You obviously didn't do your research.

If you want something "ULTRA-MODERN" try an RTLSDR usb stick or the HP1.

Relax. Awesome things are coming down the pipeline from the good gents at Uniden in Japan.

Blackink

What is Uniden doing?!?

Uniden is one of the largest manufactures of scanner radio's in the world today.

They continue to provide excellent customer service to all the products they sell.

They continue to make terrific scanners.

They continue to offer excellent and speedy repair service on your broken or damaged scanner.

They offer, on this RadioReference Forum site, on a continuous basis, feedback from one of their own-top shelf, in house, senior product managers, on questions you may have regarding your Uniden scanner.
(This type of service alone in today's world is next to none!).

Here's what ScannerMaster has to say about them also:
Uniden is the best known and one of the two largest manufacturers of scanner radios in the world. Under its renowned "Bearcat" brand name, Uniden scanners are at the cutting edge of design and technology. Their high-end radios, while complex, are used by radio hobbyists, media, businesses and at all levels of government.

I see you own a Uniden scanner......Good choice :)

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I take issue with is the continued use of serial connections. USB has been "universal", the U in usb for a dozen years. these cables should not be in use nor should the purchaser have to acquire a serial/usb adapter.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I went looking for a new scanner and bought the 346XT the programming is horrible impossible to follow the instructions and the cable that comes with it is a female serial port for old computers what happen to using USB?????? I took the radio back and got my money back,,, wow they have dropped the ball and it looks like radio shack is dropping there line in hand held.. not sure on what radio I want I have bc125at but looking to get another, dont know what to get

BILL

UPMan (Uniden Product Manager) has said many times why Uniden has chosen
Serial connections over USB. A search turns up this post among many with the
explanation.
As many folks have said here the BC346XT is a great analog voice scanner.
Another tip: Read the RR.com Wiki linked at the top of every page here....knowledge is power and the more you learn the more informed consumer you will be. You will only get out of your scanner what you put into it: meaning that if you don't bother to take the time to learn the tricks to make it work, you will not get the performance out of it. Kind of like buying a Porsche without knowing how to drive. Not going to do you much good. :)
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

RonnieUSA

I went looking for a new scanner and bought the 346XT the programming is horrible impossible to follow the instructions and the cable that comes with it is a female serial port for old computers what happen to using USB?????? I took the radio back and got my money back,,, wow they have dropped the ball and it looks like radio shack is dropping there line in hand held.. not sure on what radio I want I have bc125at but looking to get another, don't know what to get

BILL
You knew what what You were getting when You bought it, why complain now.
Buy the adapter, and everyone will be happy.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I hear you KE, but, having to buy adapters because you cannot even get a PC with a serial port anymore makes the reason invalid. I always enjoy Paul's insight's and help with the Uniden product line on the RR site but I don't blindly buy in to what anyone says. Serial is and has been dead; it has long been time to move on. Serial out, USB in.

NWtoSFO

BILL

Don't know what you're complaining about, other than you being upset that you didn't do a bit of research. The 346xt's a GREAT scanner once its all programmed. As long as you take the time to teach yourself.

lep

The only thing I take issue with is the continued use of serial connections. USB has been "universal", the U in usb for a dozen years. these cables should not be in use nor should the purchaser have to acquire a serial/usb adapter.

Thanks for explaining what the U in USB stands for. and what is it the SB stands for?

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Don't know what you're complaining about, other than you being upset that you didn't do a bit of research. The 346xt's a GREAT scanner once its all programmed. As long as you take the time to teach yourself.

There's a lot of truth in that small statement, especially there at the end.

I got started with Uniden's DMA programming structure with the BC246 scanner. Confused the hell out of me for the first week or so. But the more I read and the more I experimented and the more I asked questions here on RR, the easier it became to program/operate. I didn't complain, I just stuck with it until I mastered the thing.

:)

N8IAA

There's a lot of truth in that small statement, especially there at the end.

I got started with Uniden's DMA programming structure with the BC246 scanner. Confused the hell out of me for the first week or so. But the more I read and the more I experimented and the more I asked questions here on RR, the easier it became to program/operate. I didn't complain, I just stuck with it until I mastered the thing.

:)

Once I figured out the DMA over Object Oriented memory, it was an "aha" moment.
Larry

garys

Premium Subscriber
Once I figured out the DMA over Object Oriented memory, it was an "aha" moment.
Larry

They do essentially the same thing, but they do them in different ways. GRE did some neat things in regards to scanner lists, but Uniden did a better job (at least I think so) with multi site trunking systems. Where GRE really did a much better job is with audio decoding P25 systems.

Either way, these are difficult scanners to program without software and a programming cable. The Internet makes it that much better.

N1TGE

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You will only get out of your scanner what you put into it: meaning that if you don't bother to take the time to learn the tricks to make it work, you will not get the performance out of it.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

You shouldn't have to learn a bunch of "tricks" to make a product do its Intended job. That would be a design flaw. USB is long overdue.

KF5YBZ

Premium Subscriber

I understand that serial cables do not need drivers but I agree they should at least come with a USB adapter. My question to all of you users who bought USB adapters for your serial cables is: Do you have to install a driver when you use the USB adapter with the serial cable? Seems like almost everything is plug and play these days. Just curious.

SCPD

QRT
I understand that serial cables do not need drivers but I agree they should at least come with a USB adapter. My question to all of you users who bought USB adapters for your serial cables is: Do you have to install a driver when you use the USB adapter with the serial cable? Seems like almost everything is plug and play these days. Just curious.

You can convert the serial plug on the programming cable that came with the scanner to USB. I have done it and it works great with the 396xt.

Get an adapter.

it's all about com ports, not plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.