RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 7:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
I would speculate the USB might be for one or more of: Programming, External storage for recording, or Audio out to PC (since there appears to be a lack of Record out jack like other DIN/ISO form factor scanners).
Or all of the above. After all, it is a UNIVERSAL serial bus.
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2013, 4:05 PM

I will throw my guess into the hat and say that it's an upgraded 996 style, with Phase II added. Which would be nice, but NXDN/MotoTrbo is the one that would make me get very excited.
Old 09-25-2013, 4:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD1 View Post
I will throw my guess into the hat and say that it's an upgraded 996 style, with Phase II added. Which would be nice, but NXDN/MotoTrbo is the one that would make me get very excited.
It will have some HP features, hence the HP on the end of the model number. At least that would make sense.
Old 09-25-2013, 5:44 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Or:
High Performance
Hand Painted
High Priced
Hand Picked
Highway Patrol
Hypersensitive Preconditioned
Health Provider
Hey, Paul!
Old 09-25-2013, 5:46 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Hey, Paul!
That would be my pick.
Seems legit!
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2013, 6:01 PM

Please not the 'High Priced'!

I'll be screwed convincing the missus.

UBCD996T UBCD396T UBCD396XT XTS5000 FRG7700
Old 09-25-2013, 6:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

High Protein

We could do this all day!
Old 09-25-2013, 6:59 PM

Im looking for the ability to program from my Mac or iPad without having to load windows.. Hope its got 802.11b\g\n with a built in webserver to interact with it so that it wont matter what OS you are running.
Old 09-25-2013, 7:13 PM

Hot Potato
Hefty Package
Sponsored links

Old 09-25-2013, 7:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Help Please!
Old 09-25-2013, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafe1er View Post
I know I will get crap for saying this BUT, the new scanners will be worthless to me and some in my area who need to decode DMR and it's BS encryption. I will not be running out to get another scanner UNTIL these are made standard. I went and blew 5plus hundred dollars on the HP-1 and four months later some half as salesman went around to the counties around me scaring municipalities into going MOTOBRO. What a waste of money just to hear the FD's after that.I could have kept listing to on my analog scanners.

I will also be too busy to run to the announcement on the 16th since on the 15th a real $500 plus toy will be here........My PlayStation 4.

......just sayin!
There will never be a scanner that will decode "it's BS encryption"
Old 09-25-2013, 8:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Or, is Hewlett-Packard buying Uniden!!!
Old 09-25-2013, 8:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

How about a built-in GPS like my Amateur Transceivers. Too many cables for the HP set-up in the auto.

Jim
Old 09-25-2013, 9:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Highly Profitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Or:
High Performance
Hand Painted
High Priced
Hand Picked
Highway Patrol
Hypersensitive Preconditioned
Health Provider
Hey, Paul!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

HP stands for hydroponics. It'll be the first scanner on the market to allow you to grow your own fresh vegetables.

Or, perhaps in a bid to draw in a younger crowd, it will be autographed by Hayden Panettiere.

Better yet, HP might stand for Hysterical Predictions. ;-)
Sponsored links

Old 09-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvation View Post
Hope its got 802.11b\g\n
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNS3K View Post
How about a built-in GPS
How about if the USB socket is for a wifi dongle, like some TVs and Blue Ray players have? Built-in GPS would be nice.

The HP-1 would have been a home run had it had a small GPS module molded into the top, had wifi so it could update itself from the driveway, and the software development continued rather than stagnated like it did. Whomever came up with the extreme update, put him back on the project and get him some Mt. Dew, there's a lot that can be done yet.

My guess, the USB socket is for a flash drive for database updates and/or audio recording as others have said. I think this 536 will be a 996 with a color screen and menus like an HP-1. Nothing more. And since we're guessing...I'll go with no touchscreen. Don't need all those buttons if you have a touch screen and vice versa.

I won't hold my breath but we MIGHT see phase 2. We will definitely not see DMR and forget about ever seeing NXDN/IDAS/EIEIO. Some other thread I've read about simulcast reception claims it's just not possible with the current receiver design of the Uniden digital scanners. I see this new scanner getting a redesign of it's user interface, likely not it's RF section. It will be a cut and paste from the 996 guaranteed.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson2013 View Post
There will never be a scanner that will decode "it's BS encryption"
There are only 255 choices for the 'basic privacy' on Trbo. It's gets to be more like real encryption when you move to 'enhanced privacy' being 40-bit and all. And stronger stuff is on the way like AES-128, so it's being said.

So just like FRS with 32 'privacy codes' it could be just as easy to choose or decode which of the 255 it is. If by BS he means basic privacy anyway.
Old 09-26-2013, 2:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well I like to hear all of the chatter going on with Uniden and its next release since we have not heard of any good news in years now since GRE bit the dust. I would like to get more excited about the new release of new technology since this is my hobby but the fact of the matter is that Encryption is the way of the future and its in full force and its hear to stay. I know there is still alot of stuff to listen too but lets just be realistic that the days of scanning is slowly winding down. Some people are just lucky if they still live in areas where communications are still in the clear. Most of people are just slowly getting locked out by public safety and public safety agencies dont care about the scanning industry and its a mutt subject to cities and counties and The BIG Motorola.

Its going to be good business for Uniden and they are going to sell alot of new scanners if they did their testing and their homework right. They will come out with a great unit that will do Phase II and it should be awesome for the people that can receive still without being locked out by encryption. If you live in an area with Type II systems and Phase I systems and conventional P25 then there will be no reason to buy the new unit. Wondering what is going to be the price point. I would guess 600 bucks Northbound.

I would like to see some cool pictures come down the pipe soon.
Old 09-26-2013, 3:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
Well I like to hear all of the chatter going on with Uniden and its next release since we have not heard of any good news in years now since GRE bit the dust. I would like to get more excited about the new release of new technology since this is my hobby but the fact of the matter is that Encryption is the way of the future and its in full force and its hear to stay. I know there is still alot of stuff to listen too but lets just be realistic that the days of scanning is slowly winding down. Some people are just lucky if they still live in areas where communications are still in the clear. Most of people are just slowly getting locked out by public safety and public safety agencies dont care about the scanning industry and its a mutt subject to cities and counties and The BIG Motorola.

Its going to be good business for Uniden and they are going to sell alot of new scanners if they did their testing and their homework right. They will come out with a great unit that will do Phase II and it should be awesome for the people that can receive still without being locked out by encryption. If you live in an area with Type II systems and Phase I systems and conventional P25 then there will be no reason to buy the new unit. Wondering what is going to be the price point. I would guess 600 bucks Northbound.

I would like to see some cool pictures come down the pipe soon.
Whistler Group acquires GRE's assets to manufacture Radio Shack scanner product line
Old 09-26-2013, 4:42 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

all I know is UP MAN is laughing at all of us ( in a good way ) going ....... nope.... nope .......nope ....close.....nope ........good idea ........nope ....... that right ......................yea UP MAN well all want to know and cant wait to find out

psr 400
pro 2096
pro 2030
pro 2017
pro 2051
pro 160
pro 96
bearcat v (2)
yaesu FT 60r

Last edited by swstow; 09-26-2013 at 4:46 AM..