RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code20Photog View Post
Our biggest complaint about the 396/996 with the dynamic memory is the difficulty getting to specifc channels or departments.
Three words: Channel Number Tags

Hit [System Number Tag (dot) Channel Number Tag (MENU)] and you will be taken to that specific channel.

Joe M.
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2013, 5:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What about programming with Freescan? Will there be updates to Freescan for the 436 so that I can use my 396 files? I hope so. Just wondering!
Old 11-19-2013, 6:21 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherubim View Post
If the battery life on this model is not much better than the 396XT then I'll give it a miss. It was a mistake to stick with 3 AA's instead of 4.
It's a very odd number of batteries... If packs came in 3 packs and not four, and or Uniden made it with 4 Batteries.. it would be better.
Old 11-19-2013, 6:26 PM

Default BCD536HP and BCD436HP

Does anyone know if either of these scanners would work out here in Vegas> LVMPD had OpenSky/ Desert Sky. They have since transitioned over to Motorola P25 system.. Please let me know... Thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 6:42 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator21801 View Post
Does anyone know if either of these scanners would work out here in Vegas> LVMPD had OpenSky/ Desert Sky. They have since transitioned over to Motorola P25 system.. Please let me know... Thanks
If they're on a P25 system (doesn't matter if it's Motorola, Harris, Tait, or FisherPrice), it'll work.
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2013, 7:44 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator21801 View Post
I hope Millwaukee Fire will move away from Open Sky to a P25 System!
Old 11-19-2013, 8:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code20Photog View Post
What I'm really excited for is the recording function. In my line of work, that's HUGE to be able to record real-time.
Indeed! Here in Phoenix if you are in the business of chasing news stories you get one chance to hear where a hot call is before it moves to an encrypted channel. The record feature will allow me to go back in time a few seconds and get that all important address! This feature alone is worth the price of admission in my book. Of course it's all moot if all you got during the transmission was garbled nonsense thanks to simulcast distortion. Hopefully that problem is resolved in these new units. Paul seemed to indicate that the wizards at Uniden have addressed that in an earlier post so I'm ever hopeful.

-AZ
Old 11-19-2013, 10:21 PM

Talking

dear santa, i purchased a honda accord. now i see they have a newer model. OY.

on the helpfull side , they do have a classified section here. best of luck.

Last edited by pdfdems286; 11-19-2013 at 10:24 PM..
Old 11-19-2013, 11:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1SQB View Post
Well, while it is not an acceptable answer, I guess we're stuck! It is what it is and we get what we get for now. The only way to show Uniden the frustration with the lack of this and / or any other features, is in the sales department, or lack thereof! Then maybe they will get the hint!

Manny
No way we are stuck ! Look at all the features that the BCD436HP is suppose to have. The PSR-800 already incorporates most if not all the features. Add a keypad and update the firmware to receive TRBO/NXND and Whitsler will have one heck of a scanner. Just adding a keypad to the PSR-800 would be enough for me to purchase it over the BCD436HP.
Old 11-20-2013, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave520 View Post
What about programming with Freescan? Will there be updates to Freescan for the 436 so that I can use my 396 files? I hope so. Just wondering!
Unlikely. Assaf made a program for the HomePatrol, but I think ran into political issues with the pre-programmed database and was forced to discontinue development. I think it was called PowerPatrol. So, it's unlikely he would make SW for the x36 series for the same reason.

Joe M.
Old 11-20-2013, 1:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Or that others don't see it as the problem you do...

Joe M.
I do. I haven't turned most of mine on in weeks. Simulcast error has completely prevented me from using them on the systems I want to monitor.
Old 11-20-2013, 6:37 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleriddle View Post
have they been posted yet?. also accessories like handheld carrying case & scanner mount for your home post?, also Ac adapter ans batts?? AA I hope
Yes they have! Here it is....and the software too if you want to get acquainted with that.

Owner's Manual:
http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/New...N_10182013.pdf

Sentinel Software:
http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/New...on_1_01_07.zip
KD0PIV, Skywarn #9110, Yaesu FT-8900 & FT-2200, Icom IC-91AD, TYT UV-F1, GRE PSR-800 (x's 2), Uniden BCD996XT (providing Anoka County Public Safety feed) http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14154
Old 11-20-2013, 7:05 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumegpc View Post
No way we are stuck ! Look at all the features that the BCD436HP is suppose to have. The PSR-800 already incorporates most if not all the features. Add a keypad and update the firmware to receive TRBO/NXND and Whitsler will have one heck of a scanner. Just adding a keypad to the PSR-800 would be enough for me to purchase it over the BCD436HP.
We ARE stuck! Uniden has had ample time to listen to their customers wants and desires.They chose to put in what THEY thought could or should go into these models. Wether we like what they currently have to offer or not, is not going to make a difference at this point. Right now, either you like them as offered and buy them or don't like them and don't buy them. There are no other choices from Uniden. As far as the PSR-800, I would not put my money on anything that comes from GRE right now. I look far beyond the inital point of purchase, into the repair ability of a product. I have a PSR-310 portable. If something broke or stopped working properly, I'm stuck right now. WIth Uniden, at least I know where to send my stuff. I'm not saying their repair dept. can't use some improvement in some areas. Right now, this is as good as it's going to get from Uniden. Either get one, or don't get one, these are the only 2 choices right now! I'm on the fence right now about this portable. If the "real world" overall test results from real daily everyday folks prove positive, I'm in for one!

Manny

Last edited by N1SQB; 11-20-2013 at 7:08 AM..
Old 11-20-2013, 7:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I would like to see a video of the alert LED on this model when someone has a chance please. I have seen the 536 video and want to compare.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2013, 7:24 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Spec Sheet

Here is the specification sheet for the BCD436HP scanner.

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/New...CD436HP_SS.pdf
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2013, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancow View Post
I do. I haven't turned most of mine on in weeks. Simulcast error has completely prevented me from using them on the systems I want to monitor.
And what steps have you taken to resolve the issue?

(Rhetorical question, as it's OT for this thread, but if you need help PM me.)

Joe M.
Old 11-20-2013, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1SQB View Post
We ARE stuck! Uniden has had ample time to listen to their customers wants and desires.They chose to put in what THEY thought could or should go into these models. Wether we like what they currently have to offer or not, is not going to make a difference at this point. Manny
True,

RR Readers were expecting sooooo much more from this new scanner and the majority we're let down. There was alot of hype for the countdown to the so called "online party". After that,,,, When this scanner debuted had no colored Display, no TRBO, and the Absolute worst placement choice for a colored led.... I could see the momentum running out of RR readers.. Except for the few "hardcore" Uniden supporters. If your going to hype a new product, the product better be that much more Incredible than your last (396XT).. GRE's psr800 ALREDY has APCO 25 phase 2 and RR database access.. And the colored led is in the right location.. Uniden pretty much botched the led placement and added a keyboard. I suspect the psr800's replacement will have a keyboard, possibly colored display, as well as possibly TRBO if they are reading these forums and listening to the comments here. I feel this scanner is not a leap over the psr800.. Seems more like a dummed down 396XT without the colored display, but with APCO phase 2 and RR database scanning added... Personally...... I would have been Happy just to see the 396XT get a firmware upgrade to handle APCO Phase 2. As the owner of 8 Uniden scanners I just expected more.

Last edited by walter900; 11-20-2013 at 8:42 AM..
Old 11-20-2013, 9:12 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIN View Post
Spec Sheet

Here is the specification sheet for the BCD436HP scanner.

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/New...CD436HP_SS.pdf
From the spec sheet....."8-Hours Operation on 3xAA Batteries"

8 hours powering that huge display with just the 3 AA batteries?? Sweet!! The more I read about the 436HP the more I definitely want to get one.

Old 11-20-2013, 9:14 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter900 View Post
I would have been Happy just to see the 396XT get a firmware upgrade to handle APCO Phase 2.
That is as possible as a firmware update to allow it to fit 4 AA batteries.
Old 11-20-2013, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
That is as possible as a firmware update to allow it to fit 4 AA batteries.
LOL!

Tags
bcd436hp, bcd536hp