RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 7:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Universal Radio

Universal Radio now accepting orders.

Universal Radio shortwave, amateur, scanner and CB radio since 1942
Sponsored links

Old 11-20-2013, 7:53 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrex View Post
Important Caveat:

Quote:
This new product is expected late January 2014 We are accepting orders now. Your credit card will not be charged until we ship. You may cancel at any time.
So while your order is accepted now you still have to wait until January.
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 11-20-2013, 8:11 PM

Quote:

That's a great deal.... 1st in line and not charged for the purchase until it ships. Late January should provide Uniden with plenty of time to tweak the firmware. Hopefully someone will come out a nice soft protective case.

Last edited by walter900; 11-20-2013 at 8:14 PM..
Old 11-20-2013, 9:58 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

I have a HP and a PSR-800, what features does this thing have that are not on my PSR-800? Looking for excuses to buy it but other then the revolutionary technical innovation of using USB rather then serial I don't see much.

Why couldn't they have done something innovative? It would have cost perhaps $12 to add Wifi, GPS, bluetooth to the BOM on this thing.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgore View Post
I have a HP and a PSR-800, what features does this thing have that are not on my PSR-800? Looking for excuses to buy it but other then the revolutionary technical innovation of using USB rather then serial I don't see much.

Why couldn't they have done something innovative? It would have cost perhaps $12 to add Wifi, GPS, bluetooth to the BOM on this thing.
Over the psr800, not too much as that also has APCO 25 Phase 2.. However,,, You would gain a keypad for direct entry. I don't know if that's worth $500 to you. But If I had a psr800 I wouldn't waste the $$$$ just to gain keypad entry. Just my opinion.
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:

Field programming, a better front end, a lot of analysis and discovery modes (not all of which are known yet), a mobile option, WiFi connectivity (mobile only), easier access to Systems, Departments, and Channels, and maybe more user-friendly scan modes (I'm not familiar with how the 800 scans, but I think some have commented about restrictive scanlists). Likely more user friendly hold modes on Systems/Sites/Departments while still scanning.

Depending on Whistler's service policies, a repair option. (not sure if they will repair the GRE units or not)

A manufacturer with a long history in the scanner market (not sure how long Whistler will last).

I would have liked to have seen BT on either, WiFi on the portable (the mobile has it), and internal GPS, but perhaps those would have interfered with the receiver. I know there are other radios with internal GPS, but those don't receive the range these scanners receive with the sensitivity these scanners have. And external GPS is an option. I'm not sure why the WiFi dongle isn't an option for the portable, but perhaps antenna proximity was an issue. I often connect my portable scanners to outside antennas, though.

An I do use an external BT adapter and have for many years.

Joe M.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:45 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

A superior display to the PSR800 by far.
Sentinel software, which is heaven compared to EZ-Scan.
Onscreen analysis and discovery modes.
Battery life measured in hours, not minutes.
Keypad accessibility.
The ability to use GPS.
A company that still exists.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:49 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I'm not sure why the WiFi dongle isn't an option for the portable
From the looks of the back panel of the 536, the wifi requires a full size USB A connection, which to me implies needing a host controller. That would very likely make size and power consumption a problem for addition to the 436.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
From the looks of the back panel of the 536, the wifi requires a full size USB A connection, which to me implies needing a host controller. That would very likely make size and power consumption a problem for addition to the 436.
Or that's just what the dongle comes with, so you use a USB adapter.

But, your point may well be the reason, too.

I would SOOOO have loved to see BT added internally if for no other reason than to eliminate the BT dongle, but I think there are also licensing issues with BT that would have driven up the price (in addition to the BT hardware).

Joe M.
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2013, 11:21 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Jay is those Pictures of the back panel on the 536 on Uniden's wiki page I wasn't sure they had released any.. but i can look
Old 11-20-2013, 11:27 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...cc_id=AMWUB375
Old 11-20-2013, 11:53 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
A superior display to the PSR800 by far.
Sentinel software, which is heaven compared to EZ-Scan.
Onscreen analysis and discovery modes.
Battery life measured in hours, not minutes.
Keypad accessibility.
The ability to use GPS.
A company that still exists.
I agree with all of your points except what I highlighted above in red. I personally find that the Sentinel program is a huge P.I.T.A. compared to EZ-Scan. Even the ARC Patrol program is better than Sentinel, although you can't update the database with it.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:03 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Hey Jay thanks a bunch, Just looking at it setting there it's worth the money.. there asking for it bear
Old 11-21-2013, 2:40 AM

Question

Quote:
What are the prices on both new Uniden scanners?
Old 11-21-2013, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScannerDude244 View Post
CHP is VHF lowband and the extenders are phase1 and will still be phase1 for a very long time, I don't think they will ever switch to phase2 or less they are force to. EBRCS system will be phase2 sooner then later. The only system in the bay area that will be phase2 out the gate is Sunnyvale and Santa Clara City system. So BCD436HP or BCD536HP would be a safe bet for the future.
Right now CHP is low band 42.000 until 2016 then they go to phase 2? In southern CA I heard they are using 700 mhz a Phase 2 so eventually the whole state CHP will be on the 700 mhz so I guess we will lose out on the long range we get on the current lowband and extenders? That's why I liked it the way it is currently because I can usually hear both conversations.
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2013, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7eir View Post
All 700 MHz narrowband equipment manufactured, imported or certified after December 31, 2016 must comply with the Project 25 Phase II standard 6.25 kHz efficiency. Since CHP is pouring millions into 700 MHz narrowband systems, they most certainly will be Phase II sooner than later.

CHP Enhanced Radio System (CHPERS)

The CHP is undergoing a major radio system update. This is a multi-year program to upgrade and enhance the statewide system. This program includes upgrading of transmitter sites, field office radio equipment, and addition of new frequencies, new 700/800 MHz handheld radios and new vehicle radio systems. It will include capabilities for 700/800 MHz transmission as needed, incorporation of repeater function primarily in urban areas and a revision to the vehicle extenders to operate in the 700 MHz range.

The new vehicle systems called Consolidated Patrol Vehicle Environment (CPVE) will include additional radio equipment in different bands to meet federal interoperability standards for communication with adjacent agencies. This includes the ability to access various regional conventional and trunked systems throughout the state.

In some locations within the state, mostly in urban areas, the mobile frequency is patched to the base frequency and operates as a repeater. Thus, both base and mobiles can be monitored on a single frequency. It is not necessary to monitor both base and mobile frequencies on these repeater channels.
So are you saying that we will be able to monitor CHP at long ranges as we do currently do on the low band? I can hear San Francisco units, San Jose units and Sacramento units both sides of conversation..
Old 11-21-2013, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
What antenna(s) do you have? For most strong signals, even a coat hanger will do... if you are trying to pick up a distant transmission, then the antennas really matter a lot!!
ST-2 and double coiled mobile antenna about 2 feet long.
Old 11-21-2013, 2:56 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1SQB View Post
Lucky for you that you waited. It's a sour note when you buy one thing, then it's replacement comes out soon after.. There are those of us who are heavily invested in Uniden scanners . We bought into the hype of the big online party, and dreamed about what the new portable and / or mobile could bring. These things are not cheap. In today's economy, $499 is still a huge expense or as some of us say "investment". I have my likes and dislikes about both radios. I'm going to wait and see what happens. Uniden will get sales mainly because of it being a new product and the curiosity factor. The other thing they missed was the busiest shopping time of the year. January is typically the worse time of the year to go after people's money. Most people are worried about how they are going to pay all the bills acrued during the Xmas holiday season. Then if that was not bad enough, we have to wait until March 2014 for yet another surprise anouncement. If you don't get it right the first time, some customers will not give you a second chance. Like I said before, I'm going to take a wait-and-see attitude. After I see what they are offering in March, I will make my decisions! I do like the 436HP, but I'm not an impulse shopper.

Manny
I agree with you 100% and will do the same and wait. I just wish another company besides Uniden came out with these HP scanners. Does Uniden have a patent on these types of preprogram scanners Home patrol? Maybe Whistler will come out with these types of scanners too?
Old 11-21-2013, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideScannerGuy View Post
I agree with all of your points except what I highlighted above in red. I personally find that the Sentinel program is a huge P.I.T.A. compared to EZ-Scan. Even the ARC Patrol program is better than Sentinel, although you can't update the database with it.

Software often comes down to what you are used to. Someone who is used to Sentinel would find EZ-Scan a pain, while someone familiar with EZ-Scan would find Sentinel a pain.

I've even seen posts where someone criticizes SW because it doesn't "look like (insert program - scanner SW or other)", or isn't the color they like, or doesn't use the font they like, Etc.

I've only had a couple issues with Sentinel, and they are issues I've told Uniden about, and I expect will be fixed sooner or later. I'm quite sure I could find a couple with EZ-Scan, too.

Joe M.
Old 11-21-2013, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
I agree with you 100% and will do the same and wait. I just wish another company besides Uniden came out with these HP scanners. Does Uniden have a patent on these types of preprogram scanners Home patrol? Maybe Whistler will come out with these types of scanners too?
GRE had the PSR-800. That's one of the models Whistler is rumored to release under their brand and model.

Joe M.

Tags
bcd436hp, bcd536hp