RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 6:00 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Software often comes down to what you are used to. Someone who is used to Sentinel would find EZ-Scan a pain, while someone familiar with EZ-Scan would find Sentinel a pain.

I've even seen posts where someone criticizes SW because it doesn't "look like (insert program - scanner SW or other)", or isn't the color they like, or doesn't use the font they like, Etc.

I've only had a couple issues with Sentinel, and they are issues I've told Uniden about, and I expect will be fixed sooner or later. I'm quite sure I could find a couple with EZ-Scan, too.

Joe M.
Good point Joe.

Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2013, 6:32 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
I agree with you 100% and will do the same and wait. I just wish another company besides Uniden came out with these HP scanners. Does Uniden have a patent on these types of preprogram scanners Home patrol? Maybe Whistler will come out with these types of scanners too?
Not sure about a patent, but you hit on a very good point.Uniden can say jump and for right now, all we can say is "how high?". What we need is more competition to keep Uniden on their toes. Right now, they are the only active real game in town. I keep saying it, the wait game is the best bet going right now. Let's see what they offer in March, and let's see what Whistler does. $499 is a LOT of money in this economy, and $599 is even tougher to just come up with for a scanner. This rings especially true when the majority of people seem to feel that Uniden came up short on what they thought was going to be included. Regardless of wether realistic or not, a lot of people feel that way. When you hype up something and raise people's expectations, you better deliver and deliver big. Only time will tell if Uniden has done that or not in customer's eyes with these 2 new models! I personally don't have issues with the new portable. But then again, I don't have the needs that other people have.

Manny

Last edited by N1SQB; 11-21-2013 at 6:41 AM..
Old 11-21-2013, 7:16 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideScannerGuy View Post
I agree with all of your points except what I highlighted above in red. I personally find that the Sentinel program is a huge P.I.T.A. compared to EZ-Scan. Even the ARC Patrol program is better than Sentinel, although you can't update the database with it.
To each their own, then. I can't stand any Butel software due to its UI. And EZ-Scan for the PSR-800... I have a very large trunking system that isn't (can't be, due to RR policy) in the RRDB yet, hence not in the GRE DB yet. Inputting it by hand is excruciating - again, due to the EZ-Scan UI. But with Sentinel, I just pasted from my Excel spreadsheet.

But that's going off the topic. So I'll let it sit at that.
Old 11-21-2013, 7:48 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Quote:
Field programming, a better front end, a lot of analysis and discovery modes (not all of which are known yet), a mobile option, WiFi connectivity (mobile only), easier access to Systems, Departments, and Channels, and maybe more user-friendly scan modes (I'm not familiar with how the 800 scans, but I think some have commented about restrictive scanlists). Likely more user friendly hold modes on Systems/Sites/Departments while still scanning.

Joe M.
How does it have a better front end?
Old 11-21-2013, 8:50 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgore View Post
How does it have a better front end?
GRE has this little problem with the top end of the 700 MHz band receiving images from the middle of the 800 band, which could prove troublesome for those who are trying to monitor 700 MHz systems.
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2013, 10:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
GRE has this little problem with the top end of the 700 MHz band receiving images from the middle of the 800 band, which could prove troublesome for those who are trying to monitor 700 MHz systems.
Don't forget about the horrible front end for the VHF high band. My GRE's are almost useless for VHF do to overload and desense from all the other high power signals around my area. They also appear to have no filtering of the FM broadcast band. An FM trap can fix a lot of problems for those with the GRE digital models.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:34 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
So are you saying that we will be able to monitor CHP at long ranges as we do currently do on the low band? I can hear San Francisco units, San Jose units and Sacramento units both sides of conversation..
My understanding is that CHP will keep their low band system for their infrastructure, and use the 700 MHz for the in-car extenders and communications with other state agencies.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
GRE had the PSR-800. That's one of the models Whistler is rumored to release under their brand and model.

Joe M.
Any idea what the new Whistler scanners will cost that are comparable to the Home Patrol scanners?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Other than including the USA/Canada database, GRE really had no comparable unit.

Whistler models have not been announced, but should probably be asked over in the Whistler group.
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Any idea what the new Whistler scanners will cost that are comparable to the Home Patrol scanners?
That would be a question for a Whistler discussion, not a Uniden BCD435HP thread...
Old 11-21-2013, 11:17 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

While I understand people hoping that Whistler may include some additional features that the new Uniden scanners do not, I am absolutely not willing to risk my money on a company entering a totally new line of business.

Maybe in a few years it would be fair to consider Whistler in the same breath as Uniden, but Whistler would definitely have to produce some absolutely paradigm changing products for that to be a cogent option for me.

I know who/what Uniden is. I have no idea who/what Whistler is in regards to the scanner market. So far all that has been heard from Whistler is a sound bite filled with keywords but no substance at all. They have talked about what they bought from GRE, but not at all about any particular new products. They were quick in September to say they had the "first and only scanner that works on newer modulation protocols including P25-Phase II." Now that P25 Phase II is a moot point, they need to step up their game and include some of the systems that people are clamoring for here - TRBO, NXDN, DMR, etc. Considering that such a project would be a ground-up endeavor, it will be quite some time before they introduce anything (if at all) that includes those systems. I am certain that if including those systems is legally and technically feasible, Uniden is already working on them and has a huge head start over Whistler.

I am not willing to be a beta tester by paying for a $500 product from an unknown scanner maker. Whistler is not exactly known for making the highest quality products as it is.

What is great about this country is that if you prefer to wait for Whistler that is great! The worst that could happen is that you would be disappointed and get the latest Uniden product a little later than some of us, and the best is that you will be perfectly happy with what Whistler offers, and in that case you can proudly razz us here in these forums.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 AM

Great news on these scanners--Im a little behind times on all this new stuff but If I were to get one of these new scanners, the 436HP / 536HP I would be able to pick up anything and everything that Alaska has?
Seems to me to that the programming of these radios will be simple as all I have to do is input my Zip code and everything is there? I looked on the database page and stated was: As of 12/17/12 all communications have moved to the digital Anchorage Wide Area Radio Network.

ALMR Project 25 Phase I

Anchorage Wide Area Radio Network (migrating to ALMR)
Motorola Type II Smartnet
Old 11-21-2013, 11:57 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7eir View Post
While I understand people hoping that Whistler may include some additional features that the new Uniden scanners do not, I am absolutely not willing to risk my money on a company entering a totally new line of business.

Maybe in a few years it would be fair to consider Whistler in the same breath as Uniden, but Whistler would definitely have to produce some absolutely paradigm changing products for that to be a cogent option for me.

I know who/what Uniden is. I have no idea who/what Whistler is in regards to the scanner market. So far all that has been heard from Whistler is a sound bite filled with keywords but no substance at all. They have talked about what they bought from GRE, but not at all about any particular new products. They were quick in September to say they had the "first and only scanner that works on newer modulation protocols including P25-Phase II." Now that P25 Phase II is a moot point, they need to step up their game and include some of the systems that people are clamoring for here - TRBO, NXDN, DMR, etc. Considering that such a project would be a ground-up endeavor, it will be quite some time before they introduce anything (if at all) that includes those systems. I am certain that if including those systems is legally and technically feasible, Uniden is already working on them and has a huge head start over Whistler.

I am not willing to be a beta tester by paying for a $500 product from an unknown scanner maker. Whistler is not exactly known for making the highest quality products as it is.

What is great about this country is that if you prefer to wait for Whistler that is great! The worst that could happen is that you would be disappointed and get the latest Uniden product a little later than some of us, and the best is that you will be perfectly happy with what Whistler offers, and in that case you can proudly razz us here in these forums.
You have a valid point. Only time will tell. Whistler makes some very poor radar/laser detectors is all I know about their products in that area.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1SQB View Post
Not sure about a patent, but you hit on a very good point.Uniden can say jump and for right now, all we can say is "how high?". What we need is more competition to keep Uniden on their toes. Right now, they are the only active real game in town. I keep saying it, the wait game is the best bet going right now. Let's see what they offer in March, and let's see what Whistler does. $499 is a LOT of money in this economy, and $599 is even tougher to just come up with for a scanner. This rings especially true when the majority of people seem to feel that Uniden came up short on what they thought was going to be included. Regardless of wether realistic or not, a lot of people feel that way. When you hype up something and raise people's expectations, you better deliver and deliver big. Only time will tell if Uniden has done that or not in customer's eyes with these 2 new models! I personally don't have issues with the new portable. But then again, I don't have the needs that other people have.

Manny
Uniden is the only game in town. Competition is good for the consumer in hopes of bringing the prices down and giving us more choices for the best product to offer people the best choices for whatever their needs maybe. Again only time will tell. One thing for sure is that Uniden has the worst customer service back in the 90's and still does to this very day.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:18 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
Yes Jay you are right. My GRE PSR 600 has issues on the top band of the 700 MHz system which get overlays from the middle part of the 800 MHz trunking system. Very strange. Never have known why.

I have always wanted to figure that one out. I don't have any Unidens for the past few years since I was having digital modulation problems with all of my units. So I have been living lean and mean waiting and waiting for new units to come out on the market and sure enough January is right around the corner.
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2013, 3:07 PM

"Why not Li-Ion? I have ham HT's and receivers that last forever on Li-Ion batteries."

I want nothing to do with expensive, proprietary battery packs. I remember the misery with the Uniden 2500xlt, 235, and 245xlt. I want to never have to plug a radio in.
Old 11-21-2013, 3:08 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question BCD436HP Questions

These BCD436HP questions are more or less directed toward Upman, who would best be able to answer them...

(1) Regarding the 4-minute recording buffer that allows you to hear the last few minutes of audio from the scanner, is it stored on the scanner's internal memory or on the microSD card. The reason for my question is to find out if the scanner is continuously writing data to the microSD card any time audio is being monitored.

(2) For Discovery Mode, does the summary sort allow you to listen to continuous audio from each channel separately? For example, suppose I was at a stadium and it was "discovering" all the radios in use at the stadium. From the handheld itself, could I review the discovery session and listen to each "channel" (freq/tone combo) continuously, one transmission after the next, for that specific channel? So if it finds 3 separate users on 464.500 with different DPL tones, would I be able to listen to continuous discovered audio from each user separately, one at at time, to determine who they are? Could I review continuous traffic from just one talkgroup at a time for Trunking Discovery?

(3) Does Discovery Mode also have the ability to check its findings against the Favorites Database instead of the Full RR Database? And if so, how do you choose which favorites list(s) or system(s) to check the findings against?

(4) Would Uniden consider implementing a Service Search Discovery Mode, which would be great for searching out users on common business channels or other service bands? For example, Uniden's "Special" service search includes the common Motorola channels that many businesses use, even though they're spread out from 461-470 MHz, which is too large of a range to be of much use in Conventional Discovery Mode due to how long it would take to search the range. Having a Service Search Discovery Mode would allow users to search their favorite services without being limited to one range of conventional channels.

(5) Would Uniden consider allowing Trunking Discovery to search for new talkgroups on several systems at the same time? Even though some larger systems would consume many resources, some LTR systems can be scanned very quickly and it would be great to be able to run Discovery on a few at the same time.

(6) Is it possible for the display to show the tone or NAC used for channels that are already stored and being scanned? (as opposed to ones that are being "discovered")
Old 11-21-2013, 3:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

As I post this here is the Scanner Master pre-order price - Our Price: $499.95 Sale Price: $518.95 - Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP Police Scanner I'll think I'll wait for it to go off sale.

I didn't see it in the manual. Wondering how it will handle the recording files when the card is full? Shows memory full or automatically deletes the oldest file

TENNETRAC 1
Realistic Pro-36
J.I.L. Sx-200
Electro-Brand EB-2940
Old 11-21-2013, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartThrobs View Post
As I post this here is the Scanner Master pre-order price - Our Price: $499.95 Sale Price: $518.95 - Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP Police Scanner I'll think I'll wait for it to go off sale.

I didn't see it in the manual. Wondering how it will handle the recording files when the card is full? Shows memory full or automatically deletes the oldest file
Better to just wait as Whistler starts releasing scanners. Hopefully competition will bring the prices reasonably down.
Old 11-21-2013, 3:40 PM

Thumbs up

i've read with great interest the threads about the 2 new uniden offerings. while it is true that i have/had scanners by almost every major mfg., i still keep going back to my unidens. back in the day, gre made some great scanner's for radioshack. the one that i'm lucky enough to have reacquired is the pro-2006. a legend in it's time. i was very sorry that i ever parted company with my pro-43. but then again, times change. these old legends didn't have tone squelch,alpha tagging etc. scanners have come a long way.
i understand some of the beef's about the new scanners, however, if trbo,passport, dstar, or whatever is not doable, wether it's due to mfg. restriction's,holding the cost/profit line etc, what do you want uniden to do ?. my concerns, at this time <still don't know if i'm eventually buying one> are, how does it handle simulcast ?, and why just blue with black lettering for the background ?. to me, an absolutely horrible/hard to read configuration. BTW - is that part even true ?. i like features in some of my gre's. while i like the audio they produce, i do not like the "whistling" type noise in the background. it just makes me go back to my unidens. if uniden could combine the audio,4 battery configuration, and spectrumsweeper of gre's into their unit's, i'd be a happier camper. the 3 battery concept is just absurd. with all of that being said, and me forgetting other point's, i think uniden has/ will have the upper hand in the scanner game. at this juncture, i just don't see where any strong competition will be coming from.

edit - another concern. how will they handle just plain p25 decoding ?.

Last edited by pdfdems286; 11-21-2013 at 3:49 PM..

Tags
bcd436hp, bcd536hp